Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

Default Flea & Tick products?!

Alright, so we applied Frontline to Spanky on the 15th and he seemed to have no reaction...but I have now been reading so many terrible reviews about Frontline, Hartz, AND Seresto collars. I am now terrified to keep applying to my pup on fear of what could happen to him! I would feel horrible. Any suggestions?? Chewables? Anything? Thanks!

Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flea & Tick products?!

Both of my boys are on Heartgard plus chewables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by christaleigh123 View Post
    Alright, so we applied Frontline to Spanky on the 15th and he seemed to have no reaction...but I have now been reading so many terrible reviews about Frontline, Hartz, AND Seresto collars. I am now terrified to keep applying to my pup on fear of what could happen to him! I would feel horrible. Any suggestions?? Chewables? Anything? Thanks!
    If you google anything these days you will find plenty of horror stories… the ONLY one that I'm seriously afraid of is the Trifexis. They are facing HUGE lawsuits, and the cases are mounting as we speak.

I use Sentinel and Bravecto on my dog now, but in the past I have used Heartgard, Advantage Multi and Frontline w/no issues. My vet was discussing the Seresto collar w/me but IMO bullies and collars do not mix. To be brutally honest ALL of these treatments are pesticides that they either ingest or you put on their skin. Some dogs are going to have reactions to them, and some are not. I have trusted the advice on here, and my vet made a valuable point… do NOT use brand new treatments because sometimes the side effects are not that well known. Things that have been out for years seem to have the least amount of side effects. Hope this helps calm your nerves… but I completely understand your concerns!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

4. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom, Kevikell, Manydogs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It is a necessary evil.... there are natural alternatives out there that you can make at home. I have used Sentinel and Vectra-3D for many years without issue on any of my dogs
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

This year I started using a natural essential oil blend to repel fleas and ticks. Heidi my oldest dog had 3 different cancers all at different times and during her final battle I became much more concerned about meds and products that are being used on our dogs and their long time repercussions on their health. I mainly used k9 advantix which worked great but then I started using Trifexsis heartworm/flea/tick and stopped using the topical stuff. I haven't used Trifexsis in years...my dogs did fine with it but when the bad press started I took them off of it just to be safe. Now I use Heartguard plus only. My vet recommends nexguard a chewable for fleas & ticks but that worries me. If I don't want to put pesticides on my dog why do I want to give it to them internally? I feel like my dogs need to be on heart worm preventative because it is so prevalent in the south and many dogs in rescue have it. Fleas and ticks are also prevalent but I am more comfortable trying more natural alternatives for this than I am for heart worms. Plus my dogs stay inside most of the day. I have never had a flea/tick problem so I am hoping that using a natural product will help keep the pests at bay. Here is what I am using now.
    Natur-Repel Oil

Even though vets say they need flea and tick prevention all year, for the past several years I only used the meds in the summer months. I even alternated so that it was one month on and one month off.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

7. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

We had a bad experience with Trifexis and our boy so I won't ever touch that stuff again.I used Heartguard plus but just switched to Triguard because its less expensive with the same ingredients @Kevikell thanks for the great info on the Natur- Repel Oil.I'm with you on whatever we can give them that's not pesticides

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

We use the Seresto collar on our golden retriever and Bruno. They work great. We never see any fleas or ticks with the Seresto collars. it doesn't seem to bother Bruno at all, he pays no attention to it.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

I was curious about this as well. My breeder said bulldogs can have skin reactions to the topical treatments and apparently K9 Advantix is bad to use of you have a cat, which we do. So I wad considering chewables. All I saw was Nexgard, which is relatively new so I'm hesitant about it.

For those of you that use topical flea/tick medication, have your bullies had any reactions? (I will of course consult with my vet too.)

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    This year I started using a natural essential oil blend to repel fleas and ticks. Heidi my oldest dog had 3 different cancers all at different times and during her final battle I became much more concerned about meds and products that are being used on our dogs and their long time repercussions on their health. I mainly used k9 advantix which worked great but then I started using Trifexsis heartworm/flea/tick and stopped using the topical stuff. I haven't used Trifexsis in years...my dogs did fine with it but when the bad press started I took them off of it just to be safe. Now I use Heartguard plus only. My vet recommends nexguard a chewable for fleas & ticks but that worries me. If I don't want to put pesticides on my dog why do I want to give it to them internally? I feel like my dogs need to be on heart worm preventative because it is so prevalent in the south and many dogs in rescue have it. Fleas and ticks are also prevalent but I am more comfortable trying more natural alternatives for this than I am for heart worms. Plus my dogs stay inside most of the day. I have never had a flea/tick problem so I am hoping that using a natural product will help keep the pests at bay. Here is what I am using now.
    Natur-Repel Oil

Even though vets say they need flea and tick prevention all year, for the past several years I only used the meds in the summer months. I even alternated so that it was one month on and one month off.
    I am just getting to oils and I them what are you using as I need to start using something ?
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    I am just getting to oils and I them what are you using as I need to start using something ?
    I wasn't confident enough to make my own blend but may try when I am out of the stuff I purchased. I bought Natur repel Oil by Pet wellness blends. Here is a link to their site. Natur-Repel Oil

It is a blend of Certified Organic herbal-infused oils (solar infusion), Certified Organic Neem oil with Certified Organic Lavender, Certified Organic Lemongrass, Certified Organic Lemon, Certified Organic Geranium and Certified Organic Citronella essential oils, and Garlic Flower Essence for the vibrational message.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

13. Likes HrsDiva liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

I use "Flea 5x Plus" (It's the 1-800-Pet Meds generic version of Frontline Plus). It's a little easier on the pocket, and so far we haven't had any issues with fleas or ticks. We have a huge field behind our condo that Effie likes to run around in, and I was really concerned about ticks. 5x Plus is topical, and she didn't have any reaction whatsoever. We use Sentinel for the prevention of heartworms, roundworms, hook worms, and whipworms. Effie hasn't had any reaction to that either.
    I put a lot of thought into what we wanted to use, and I was shocked when our vet recommended Trifexis
    She told us that it's very rare for a dog to have a reaction to it, and that normally it's because owners didn't administer it with a meal. But, I stuck with my gut instinct- it may be rare, but I'd rather not risk it!
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Koozer
    Likes (Received)

We use Sentinel and have no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads