Flea & Tick products?!

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Alright, so we applied Frontline to Spanky on the 15th and he seemed to have no reaction...but I have now been reading so many terrible reviews about Frontline, Hartz, AND Seresto collars. I am now terrified to keep applying to my pup on fear of what could happen to him! I would feel horrible. Any suggestions?? Chewables? Anything? Thanks!

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Both of my boys are on Heartgard plus chewables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Alright, so we applied Frontline to Spanky on the 15th and he seemed to have no reaction...but I have now been reading so many terrible reviews about Frontline, Hartz, AND Seresto collars. I am now terrified to keep applying to my pup on fear of what could happen to him! I would feel horrible. Any suggestions?? Chewables? Anything? Thanks!

If you google anything these days you will find plenty of horror stories… the ONLY one that I'm seriously afraid of is the Trifexis. They are facing HUGE lawsuits, and the cases are mounting as we speak.

I use Sentinel and Bravecto on my dog now, but in the past I have used Heartgard, Advantage Multi and Frontline w/no issues. My vet was discussing the Seresto collar w/me but IMO bullies and collars do not mix. To be brutally honest ALL of these treatments are pesticides that they either ingest or you put on their skin. Some dogs are going to have reactions to them, and some are not. I have trusted the advice on here, and my vet made a valuable point… do NOT use brand new treatments because sometimes the side effects are not that well known. Things that have been out for years seem to have the least amount of side effects. Hope this helps calm your nerves… but I completely understand your concerns!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is a necessary evil.... there are natural alternatives out there that you can make at home. I have used Sentinel and Vectra-3D for many years without issue on any of my dogs

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
This year I started using a natural essential oil blend to repel fleas and ticks. Heidi my oldest dog had 3 different cancers all at different times and during her final battle I became much more concerned about meds and products that are being used on our dogs and their long time repercussions on their health. I mainly used k9 advantix which worked great but then I started using Trifexsis heartworm/flea/tick and stopped using the topical stuff. I haven't used Trifexsis in years...my dogs did fine with it but when the bad press started I took them off of it just to be safe. Now I use Heartguard plus only. My vet recommends nexguard a chewable for fleas & ticks but that worries me. If I don't want to put pesticides on my dog why do I want to give it to them internally? I feel like my dogs need to be on heart worm preventative because it is so prevalent in the south and many dogs in rescue have it. Fleas and ticks are also prevalent but I am more comfortable trying more natural alternatives for this than I am for heart worms. Plus my dogs stay inside most of the day. I have never had a flea/tick problem so I am hoping that using a natural product will help keep the pests at bay. Here is what I am using now.
Natur-Repel Oil

Even though vets say they need flea and tick prevention all year, for the past several years I only used the meds in the summer months. I even alternated so that it was one month on and one month off.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We had a bad experience with Trifexis and our boy so I won't ever touch that stuff again.I used Heartguard plus but just switched to Triguard because its less expensive with the same ingredients [MENTION=12092]Kevikell[/MENTION] thanks for the great info on the Natur- Repel Oil.I'm with you on whatever we can give them that's not pesticides :)

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
We use the Seresto collar on our golden retriever and Bruno. They work great. We never see any fleas or ticks with the Seresto collars. it doesn't seem to bother Bruno at all, he pays no attention to it.

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I was curious about this as well. My breeder said bulldogs can have skin reactions to the topical treatments and apparently K9 Advantix is bad to use of you have a cat, which we do. So I wad considering chewables. All I saw was Nexgard, which is relatively new so I'm hesitant about it.

For those of you that use topical flea/tick medication, have your bullies had any reactions? (I will of course consult with my vet too.)

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
This year I started using a natural essential oil blend to repel fleas and ticks. Heidi my oldest dog had 3 different cancers all at different times and during her final battle I became much more concerned about meds and products that are being used on our dogs and their long time repercussions on their health. I mainly used k9 advantix which worked great but then I started using Trifexsis heartworm/flea/tick and stopped using the topical stuff. I haven't used Trifexsis in years...my dogs did fine with it but when the bad press started I took them off of it just to be safe. Now I use Heartguard plus only. My vet recommends nexguard a chewable for fleas & ticks but that worries me. If I don't want to put pesticides on my dog why do I want to give it to them internally? I feel like my dogs need to be on heart worm preventative because it is so prevalent in the south and many dogs in rescue have it. Fleas and ticks are also prevalent but I am more comfortable trying more natural alternatives for this than I am for heart worms. Plus my dogs stay inside most of the day. I have never had a flea/tick problem so I am hoping that using a natural product will help keep the pests at bay. Here is what I am using now.
Natur-Repel Oil

Even though vets say they need flea and tick prevention all year, for the past several years I only used the meds in the summer months. I even alternated so that it was one month on and one month off.

I am just getting to oils and I :heart: them what are you using as I need to start using something ?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I am just getting to oils and I :heart: them what are you using as I need to start using something ?

I wasn't confident enough to make my own blend but may try when I am out of the stuff I purchased. I bought Natur repel Oil by Pet wellness blends. Here is a link to their site. Natur-Repel Oil

It is a blend of Certified Organic herbal-infused oils (solar infusion), Certified Organic Neem oil with Certified Organic Lavender, Certified Organic Lemongrass, Certified Organic Lemon, Certified Organic Geranium and Certified Organic Citronella essential oils, and Garlic Flower Essence for the vibrational message.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
I use "Flea 5x Plus" (It's the 1-800-Pet Meds generic version of Frontline Plus). It's a little easier on the pocket, and so far we haven't had any issues with fleas or ticks. We have a huge field behind our condo that Effie likes to run around in, and I was really concerned about ticks. 5x Plus is topical, and she didn't have any reaction whatsoever. We use Sentinel for the prevention of heartworms, roundworms, hook worms, and whipworms. Effie hasn't had any reaction to that either.
I put a lot of thought into what we wanted to use, and I was shocked when our vet recommended Trifexis :faint:
She told us that it's very rare for a dog to have a reaction to it, and that normally it's because owners didn't administer it with a meal. But, I stuck with my gut instinct- it may be rare, but I'd rather not risk it!

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
We started harley out on trifexis and after about six months she would throw it up about three hours after she ingested the chewable. And just recently we got a trial of nexguard and it worked and she had no problems.. So I got a six month supply. But as I just read this thread I have been watching a bald spot on her side very closely.. I thought it was her allergies getting to her. But now I don't wonder if it's her nexguard...? Hmmm..

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We started harley out on trifexis and after about six months she would throw it up about three hours after she ingested the chewable. And just recently we got a trial of nexguard and it worked and she had no problems.. So I got a six month supply. But as I just read this thread I have been watching a bald spot on her side very closely.. I thought it was her allergies getting to her. But now I don't wonder if it's her nexguard...? Hmmm..

I'm not buying it at all.Our Abbott had a reaction to Trifexis with his meal.He was sick and lethargic for 3 days.Scared us to death. So its not ever coming back in this house! Vets say different things but I'm not willing to test the waters :)
I use "Flea 5x Plus" (It's the 1-800-Pet Meds generic version of Frontline Plus). It's a little easier on the pocket, and so far we haven't had any issues with fleas or ticks. We have a huge field behind our condo that Effie likes to run around in, and I was really concerned about ticks. 5x Plus is topical, and she didn't have any reaction whatsoever. We use Sentinel for the prevention of heartworms, roundworms, hook worms, and whipworms. Effie hasn't had any reaction to that either.
I put a lot of thought into what we wanted to use, and I was shocked when our vet recommended Trifexis :faint:
She told us that it's very rare for a dog to have a reaction to it, and that normally it's because owners didn't administer it with a meal. But, I stuck with my gut instinct- it may be rare, but I'd rather not risk it!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
All breeds can have bad reactions to chemicals, but K9 Advantix has permethrin, an old-school insecticide which can be deadly to cats.

"In cats (and especially sensitive dogs), the permethrin acts as a nerve toxin. Cats exposed to the product through oral exposure or even contact with the skin may suffer symptoms that start with salivation, facial and whisker twitching, and agitation. These can progress to seizures, coma, and death."

When we lived in an area where there were ticks we used Bayvantic and never had any problems. Now we live next to paradise...no ticks or fleas...just about a zillion mosquitos...

I was curious about this as well. My breeder said bulldogs can have skin reactions to the topical treatments and apparently K9 Advantix is bad to use of you have a cat, which we do. So I wad considering chewables. All I saw was Nexgard, which is relatively new so I'm hesitant about it.

For those of you that use topical flea/tick medication, have your bullies had any reactions? (I will of course consult with my vet too.)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.