Thread: Flea & Tick products?!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flea & Tick products?!

We started harley out on trifexis and after about six months she would throw it up about three hours after she ingested the chewable. And just recently we got a trial of nexguard and it worked and she had no problems.. So I got a six month supply. But as I just read this thread I have been watching a bald spot on her side very closely.. I thought it was her allergies getting to her. But now I don't wonder if it's her nexguard...? Hmmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juststrokeit383 View Post
    We started harley out on trifexis and after about six months she would throw it up about three hours after she ingested the chewable. And just recently we got a trial of nexguard and it worked and she had no problems.. So I got a six month supply. But as I just read this thread I have been watching a bald spot on her side very closely.. I thought it was her allergies getting to her. But now I don't wonder if it's her nexguard...? Hmmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not buying it at all.Our Abbott had a reaction to Trifexis with his meal.He was sick and lethargic for 3 days.Scared us to death. So its not ever coming back in this house! Vets say different things but I'm not willing to test the waters
    Quote Originally Posted by betterxthanxnew View Post
    I use "Flea 5x Plus" (It's the 1-800-Pet Meds generic version of Frontline Plus). It's a little easier on the pocket, and so far we haven't had any issues with fleas or ticks. We have a huge field behind our condo that Effie likes to run around in, and I was really concerned about ticks. 5x Plus is topical, and she didn't have any reaction whatsoever. We use Sentinel for the prevention of heartworms, roundworms, hook worms, and whipworms. Effie hasn't had any reaction to that either.
    I put a lot of thought into what we wanted to use, and I was shocked when our vet recommended Trifexis
    She told us that it's very rare for a dog to have a reaction to it, and that normally it's because owners didn't administer it with a meal. But, I stuck with my gut instinct- it may be rare, but I'd rather not risk it!

3. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

All breeds can have bad reactions to chemicals, but K9 Advantix has permethrin, an old-school insecticide which can be deadly to cats.

"In cats (and especially sensitive dogs), the permethrin acts as a nerve toxin. Cats exposed to the product through oral exposure or even contact with the skin may suffer symptoms that start with salivation, facial and whisker twitching, and agitation. These can progress to seizures, coma, and death."

When we lived in an area where there were ticks we used Bayvantic and never had any problems. Now we live next to paradise...no ticks or fleas...just about a zillion mosquitos...

Quote Originally Posted by quackattack View Post
    I was curious about this as well. My breeder said bulldogs can have skin reactions to the topical treatments and apparently K9 Advantix is bad to use of you have a cat, which we do. So I wad considering chewables. All I saw was Nexgard, which is relatively new so I'm hesitant about it.

For those of you that use topical flea/tick medication, have your bullies had any reactions? (I will of course consult with my vet too.)

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much! I appreciate all the input �� now to tackle these allergies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads