brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie just had a really bad bout of reverse sneezing. Of course the first thing I did was remain calm, NOT!!!! I completely panicked as usual. He finally stopped. I thought he was going to pass out. I gave him some benedryl. What else should I have done besides crap my pants?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When Finn gets into the reverse sneezing mode I gently rub his neck; if that doesn't stop it then I cover his mouth and nose with my hand. It usually just lasts a few seconds and I've never had to give him an antihistamine for it or anything like that.

May I suggest a pair of Depends for you, Rosalie? :w00t:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
When Finn gets into the reverse sneezing mode I gently rub his neck; if that doesn't stop it then I cover his mouth and nose with my hand. It usually just lasts a few seconds and I've never had to give him an antihistamine for it or anything like that.

May I suggest a pair of Depends for you, Rosalie? :w00t:

I've heard the same Henny - rub the throat & pinch or cover nose ... It's scary for sure the first time Tyson did it, I thought he couldn't breath & nearly passed out. I'm right there with you. Full panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
What is this? Is it that long, repetitive snort thing they do? Bella's done this before.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, Snorting, kinda gagging, breathing type deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I haaaate this reverse sneezing business. :( Hope that's all of it that Frankie does!

I never knew about rubbing his throat or covering the nose.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie does it occasionally and previous dogs of mine have done it. I, also, cup my hand over their mouth and nose. I have no idea why I do that. I guess it seems like they're hyperventilating and it's like putting a paper bag for them to breathe into. But it does seem to work.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Two of mine get it, especially when they have gotten real excited, or played hard-and sometimes when the weather is very damp. I also rub their throat, and block their nostrils with my fingers. It always works,

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Winnie does it occasionally and previous dogs of mine have done it. I, also, cup my hand over their mouth and nose. I have no idea why I do that. I guess it seems like they're hyperventilating and it's like putting a paper bag for them to breathe into. But it does seem to work.

I wasn't sure why I cover the mouth/nose either but i just read it's really the nose we should be covering which "usually forces the dog to breathe through the mouth" stopping the episode. I also read that gently blowing air into the dog's face can help too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... Just over the nostrils to force them to breathe through mouth

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally has done this a couple of times, and yes I kinda panicked because at first I thought he was choking. Bella choked on a rawhide one time, and I swear I almost had a damn heart attack… these dogs will clearly be the death of us one day Rosalie!!! Lol

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Wally has done this a couple of times, and yes I kinda panicked because at first I thought he was choking. Bella choked on a rawhide one time, and I swear I almost had a damn heart attack… these dogs will clearly be the death of us one day Rosalie!!! Lol
Aint that the truth!! Both the boys have done this in the past, but it was always just just for a few seconds. This was way longer! I will remember to cover his nose next time. I'm glad at least that it has started a conversation about Reverse Sneezing for our new members as something to be aware of and help recognize it if it happens to them and to know what to do.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Aint that the truth!! Both the boys have done this in the past, but it was always just just for a few seconds. This was way longer! I will remember to cover his nose next time. I'm glad at least that it has started a conversation about Reverse Sneezing for our new members as something to be aware of and help recognize it if it happens to them and to know what to do.

Strange thing... Banks very rarely did this, but Cheli does it constantly -- always wondered why

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.