Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't think I'll ever be able to take Bella to Petco or Petsmart for grooming...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default I don't think I'll ever be able to take Bella to Petco or Petsmart for grooming...

Golden dies in heating chamber at Petco. I don't blame all Petco stores (or Petsmart), but this is scary as hell! It's like your pup's life is in the hands of some pet store worker. Why don't they use blow driers?? So sad!

Family says dog died after being left in drying cage at Petco | WTVR.com

I don't think I'd be able to leave Bella to get groomed. I'd worry about her jumping from the table and getting hung or getting left in a tub to drown or something crazy... I'd stand there over the workers as they did everything...and if I'm going to do that, I might as well just groom her myself!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I don't think I'll ever be able to take Bella to Petco or Petsmart for grooming...

Such a sad story, and unfortunately it happens too many times. We never take ours any place to get them groomed, we do it ourselves.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

4. Likes Cali Doll, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I don't think I'll ever be able to take Bella to Petco or Petsmart for grooming...

OMG how would you be when you went back to get them. We groom Ftse ourselves

6. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We used to use PetSmart until the only groomer we trusted quit. We will never go there for grooming again.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

8. Likes Cali Doll, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

I'm a groomer and I assure you, we aren't all morons.

Any groomer that uses a heat dryer is. I never have and never will. There is just no need. More bad things can happen than what it's worth.

Dogs should always be towel dried then blow dried the best you can depending on their behavior. They can then be placed with cool air dryers.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about grooming stuff to ease your minds. Also, I don't trust chain store grooming.

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

very very unfortunate accident.
    Hug your bully today

11. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    I'm a groomer and I assure you, we aren't all morons.

Any groomer that uses a heat dryer is. I never have and never will. There is just no need. More bad things can happen than what it's worth.

Dogs should always be towel dried then blow dried the best you can depending on their behavior. They can then be placed with cool air dryers.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about grooming stuff to ease your minds. Also, I don't trust chain store grooming.
    Agree 100%… my groomers are also VERY good friends of mine and they also use blow dryers and cool air dryers. In fact the last time I took Wally in they told me that he became "petrified" of the blow dryer so they let him sit w/the fan on him and basically air dry. I was perfectly fine w/that…

Go find a groomer NOT in a pet store, talk w/them regarding bulldogs and breathing issues. Do your homework and see if they have any listed complaints or grievances…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

13. Likes nycbullymama, Cali Doll liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with @ddnene. Most groomers in privately owned pet stores know what they're doing. At least the ones here do. If something like this happened at one
    of these stores, the neurotic crazy Woody Allen NY'er would come out in people and huge law suites would ensue. Privately owned stores do not want this.

But for whatever reason, the Petco's and Petsmarts of the world don't get it, or just don't care. Hiring people with zero experience is much cheaper than hiring a groomer that actually understands
    the various breeds, and tailors grooming to their needs.

If we're honest, many of Petcos/Petsmarts employees worked in Mcdonald's yesterday- so what do they really know or understand about grooming? I mean do we really believe they've had extensive training? I don't.

15. Likes Cali Doll, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

I tried turning to get a job at Petsmart for years..not even in the salon part. I have a ton of knowledge of animals. I never did get why they wouldn't hire me lol

17. Likes Cali Doll, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I agree with @ddnene. Most groomers in privately owned pet stores know what they're doing. At least the ones here do. If something like this happened at one
    of these stores, the neurotic crazy Woody Allen NY'er would come out in people and huge law suites would ensue. Privately owned stores do not want this.

But for whatever reason, the Petco's and Petsmarts of the world don't get it, or just don't care. Hiring people with zero experience is much cheaper than hiring a groomer that actually understands
    the various breeds, and tailors grooming to their needs.

If we're honest, many of Petcos/Petsmarts employees worked in Mcdonald's yesterday- so what do they really know or understand about grooming? I mean do we really believe they've had extensive training? I don't.
    Agreed… and here's another issue that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Every time I go into PetCo they are constantly asking what I'm feeding my pet?!! I have let them sometimes DO their rant, and then I basically let them know what I know (THANKS to EBN) and they are left speechless I understand that it's a job, but seriously what kind of training do they offer their employees on grooming and nutrition?!! SMH...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

19. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    I tried turning to get a job at Petsmart for years..not even in the salon part. I have a ton of knowledge of animals. I never did get why they wouldn't hire me lol
    Because you KNOW too much… LMAO!!!

21. Likes Cali Doll, laurendoodler liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I know three people that opened their own grooming place and had previously worked at Petsmart.... they told me, it is, as with any corporation.. time! get in and out as many as you can a day --they do not want you spending a lot of time on one animal which is why they do not blow dry.... wash, cut and stick them in a cage. UGH!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

23. Likes Cali Doll, ddnene liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads