I don't think I'll ever be able to take Bella to Petco or Petsmart for grooming...

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Golden dies in heating chamber at Petco. I don't blame all Petco stores (or Petsmart), but this is scary as hell! It's like your pup's life is in the hands of some pet store worker. Why don't they use blow driers?? So sad!

Family says dog died after being left in drying cage at Petco | WTVR.com

I don't think I'd be able to leave Bella to get groomed. I'd worry about her jumping from the table and getting hung or getting left in a tub to drown or something crazy... I'd stand there over the workers as they did everything...and if I'm going to do that, I might as well just groom her myself!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Such a sad story, and unfortunately it happens too many times. We never take ours any place to get them groomed, we do it ourselves.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
OMG how would you be when you went back to get them. We groom Ftse ourselves

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We used to use PetSmart until the only groomer we trusted quit. We will never go there for grooming again.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm a groomer and I assure you, we aren't all morons.

Any groomer that uses a heat dryer is. I never have and never will. There is just no need. More bad things can happen than what it's worth.

Dogs should always be towel dried then blow dried the best you can depending on their behavior. They can then be placed with cool air dryers.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about grooming stuff to ease your minds. Also, I don't trust chain store grooming.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm a groomer and I assure you, we aren't all morons.

Any groomer that uses a heat dryer is. I never have and never will. There is just no need. More bad things can happen than what it's worth.

Dogs should always be towel dried then blow dried the best you can depending on their behavior. They can then be placed with cool air dryers.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about grooming stuff to ease your minds. Also, I don't trust chain store grooming.

Agree 100%… my groomers are also VERY good friends of mine and they also use blow dryers and cool air dryers. In fact the last time I took Wally in they told me that he became "petrified" of the blow dryer so they let him sit w/the fan on him and basically air dry. I was perfectly fine w/that…

Go find a groomer NOT in a pet store, talk w/them regarding bulldogs and breathing issues. Do your homework and see if they have any listed complaints or grievances…

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I agree with [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]. Most groomers in privately owned pet stores know what they're doing. At least the ones here do. If something like this happened at one
of these stores, the neurotic crazy Woody Allen NY'er would come out in people and huge law suites would ensue. Privately owned stores do not want this.

But for whatever reason, the Petco's and Petsmarts of the world don't get it, or just don't care. Hiring people with zero experience is much cheaper than hiring a groomer that actually understands
the various breeds, and tailors grooming to their needs.

If we're honest, many of Petcos/Petsmarts employees worked in Mcdonald's yesterday- so what do they really know or understand about grooming? I mean do we really believe they've had extensive training? I don't.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I tried turning to get a job at Petsmart for years..not even in the salon part. I have a ton of knowledge of animals. I never did get why they wouldn't hire me lol

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree with @ddnene. Most groomers in privately owned pet stores know what they're doing. At least the ones here do. If something like this happened at one
of these stores, the neurotic crazy Woody Allen NY'er would come out in people and huge law suites would ensue. Privately owned stores do not want this.

But for whatever reason, the Petco's and Petsmarts of the world don't get it, or just don't care. Hiring people with zero experience is much cheaper than hiring a groomer that actually understands
the various breeds, and tailors grooming to their needs.

If we're honest, many of Petcos/Petsmarts employees worked in Mcdonald's yesterday- so what do they really know or understand about grooming? I mean do we really believe they've had extensive training? I don't.

Agreed… and here's another issue that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Every time I go into PetCo they are constantly asking what I'm feeding my pet?!! I have let them sometimes DO their rant, and then I basically let them know what I know (THANKS to EBN) and they are left speechless :ohmy: I understand that it's a job, but seriously what kind of training do they offer their employees on grooming and nutrition?!! SMH...

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I tried turning to get a job at Petsmart for years..not even in the salon part. I have a ton of knowledge of animals. I never did get why they wouldn't hire me lol

Because you KNOW too much… LMAO!!! ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know three people that opened their own grooming place and had previously worked at Petsmart.... they told me, it is, as with any corporation.. time! get in and out as many as you can a day --they do not want you spending a lot of time on one animal which is why they do not blow dry.... wash, cut and stick them in a cage. UGH!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I know three people that opened their own grooming place and had previously worked at Petsmart.... they told me, it is, as with any corporation.. time! get in and out as many as you can a day --they do not want you spending a lot of time on one animal which is why they do not blow dry.... wash, cut and stick them in a cage. UGH!

Ridiculous! I wonder how leaving a Golden Retriever unsupervised in a heated cage helped them with their goal. UGH is right!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I personally don't go to Petsmart or Petco for anything - at all. I buy all of Tyson's food, treats, vitamins at Natural Pawz, and we do all his bathing, clipping, etc. I don't trust him to anyone - unless I am standing right there beside him. The vets in Petsmart (Banfield) are a joke. I have heard the most horrendous stories. I have never, and will never use any of their services. I order all of Ty's leashes, collars, etc online.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I worked at petco for a little bit (quit because the manager was horrendous and they didn't give me hours..never could get on at petsmart) and the only training I know about are for the individual reps that come in and teach about their specific foods...such as that nutritional balance or whatever it is and blue buffalo.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.