Help! Chunk just reminded me why we can't have a puppy!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Sooo I came home to this:
0334699d.jpg

This is not like Chunk! Since we got him, he has only chewed on my wicker chair (which has since been thrown out, think he did that out of stress when we first got him) and a wire when we was mad at me once. (I was doing paperwork and he wanted to play tug-of-war not fetch, so he chewed a wire.) We do crate him during the day (the wire chewing made me do it, like a new mom I was nervous he'd hurt himself) but it's only for short periods of time! I work close so I always come home on my lunch hour - he's in his crate for 4 hours in the morning then 1.5 hours til my daughter gets home and then he's out and played with for the rest of the night! Til usually 10-11pm! He does often rearrange the living room (he has three beds and a blanket) so I'm not sure if it's because he wanted the bed out of his crate and couldn't get it out, if he was mad because Julia was only home for an hour and left with her aunt (not the usual routine) or if he's just being destructive. Thoughts anyone?? And should I be concerned that he might have ingested some of the inside of the bed (it was a dog bed, so I'm guessing probably not). He's got me :crazy:

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
:angry: He chewed the cable wire while I was cleaning!!! Pretty sure he's just being destructive for attention. Eww don't mind the filthy wall - I never realized how dirty it was. That's next on my cleaning list!
2eb64ee6.jpg

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
One thing I did not notice in his crate are toys. I'm sure being crated gets boring and it might be a good idea to stock up on more appropriate things for a puppy to chew.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have rugs in Gertie and Ida's crates. They aren't the rubber-backed ones. They are loopy rug on both sides ($15 at Wal-Mart). They have never tried to do anything to destroy these, they machine wash and dry. And, I agree with [MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION], my girls always have lots of toys in their crates too. Their big stuffed animals they got for Christmas they both use as pillows.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I am having similar issues with Bear, I have to watch him like a hawk. wires, furniture, towels, you name it!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
He had his two fav nylabones in there. Took them out before the pic. :(. We did just change his food so maybe extra energy from better food? He's almost 3 so not a puppy (mentioned puppy because I posted a thread over the weekend about a pup I almost brought home). He was trying to play with me when I was cleaning, that's what makes me think that was destructive for attention. I guess I will go back to just his blanket in his crate, even if he puts his bed there. His other two beds he has never even bitten! Thanks for the support everyone. I was really bummed because he's usually so well-behaved.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We always use towels in Hudson's crate and have his big ol Kong in there. ;) (Sorry, I needed to put in my 2 cents there!)

I guess it's one of those things where we have to remember our dogs are dogs and they mess up for no reason sometimes. Hudson's also had some extra energy lately on his new food and he's really been into tearing up his plush toes when we're home. It helps when we take him for walks (short ones, of course) in the morning and at night. He actually likes to run off some of that energy. Does he maybe need an upgrade in his exercise routine?

Hang in there! And...don't worry about your wall. Come over to my house....or rather, no. Don't do that. You'll look like a saint! ;)

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1740]ILuvHudson[/MENTION] Your 2 cents is much appreciated!!! I think you are right - dogs will be dogs. My daughter was SHOCKED and said maybe we should get him a Kong too. (What, if anything, do you put in Hudsons?) She actually doggie sits for 2 miniature schnauzers a few days a week and they are DESTRUCTIVE! It always happens after her first visit for the day, which makes us think it's spiteful. She got them kongs and everlasting treats for Christmas which helped a little. Ultimately, their mommy had to put baby locks on ALL of her cabinets. This is why we are so shocked - we are used to it with them but NEVER with Chunk.

We talked about longer walks too - that's going to be a definite, at least as far as we can get him to go! He always gets walked to go to the bathroom because we live in an apartment complex - usually twice in the morning, lunch time, early afternoon when Julia gets home and then again twice at night. Not all are far because he DOES NOT like the cold, even with his pimp jacket on. :D

Thank goodness for this website - because things like "Hang in there!" are totally what I need to hear at times like this. :unsure: I doubt myself often on the choices I make for him, so the wonderful insight here is sooooo helpful!!!

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Aww, Hudson is so the same way. Our walk this morning was not appreciated. We're in PA - at about 16 degrees this AM, so he was giving me that look like...yeah, we can just go in and go back to bed?!

Currently, Hudson has the Kong dental stick (he had the puppy one when he was...a puppy). I don't put anything in it, he loves it anyway. He just goes to town and it gets all kinds of foamy spit on it. We introduced it outside the crate first. He always gets excited about new toys. Although, when we introduced it, we did toss a few liver treats in, so maybe that helped him like it better.

I need advice just as much! Yay for forums for encouragement!!! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
In some respects bullys are just like our children ... who knows why they suddenly decide to do something!!! I do know that both my bullys are slightly OCD ... especially Maggie. So if Maggie had decided to start licking or chewing on the bed and had not been stopped, then her bed could very well look like that too! It's like they can't stop ....

He's just going through a little destructive streak ... he thinks he's just doing a bit of chewing ... we're the only ones who considers destructive!!

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha going to do when they come for? Anyways....... It's definitely for attention issues. Sooooooooo, start leaving him in the cage with nothing!!! Then........add a toy and a good boy when no mistakes are made. The other thing I posted last week.......is...........
One other thing I learned from my grandma about dogs or kids.........if you use two names to scold or call them.......it reinforces that you are angry and they can distinguish right from wrong a lot easier. Sooooooo when scolding use two names.(Like Chunk Instein) or (Chunk-Zilla) When rewarding just use Chunk. Trust me it over emphasis's your attitude and they catch on quicker.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha going to do when they come for? Anyways....... It's definitely for attention issues. Sooooooooo, start leaving him in the cage with nothing!!! Then........add a toy and a good boy when no mistakes are made. The other thing I posted last week.......is...........
One other thing I learned from my grandma about dogs or kids.........if you use two names to scold or call them.......it reinforces that you are angry and they can distinguish right from wrong a lot easier. Sooooooo when scolding use two names.(Like Chunk Instein) or (Chunk-Zilla) When rewarding just use Chunk. Trust me it over emphasis's your attitude and they catch on quicker.

That has to be true because nothing makes Hudson get down to the ground with the "I'm sorry" look faster than my husband yelling DANGIT HUDSON (but put in a stronger word).

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

That is GREAT advice! The name thing is wonderful - never thought of that! I put only his crate pad (which is supposed to be a self-warming pad for our drafty apt, just holds in his body heat), his blanket (he's had that since he was a puppy for comfort) and one bone. He was perfect today! Definitely going to use Chunk-instein or Chunk-zilla! So good! He usually gets - YOU'RE MAKING ME CRAZY YOU MONSTER!

We went for a SUPER long walk today. He wanted to walk his old route which is way out by the bay - he hasn't done it since it snowed because he hates the cold - and was ready to walk more! So we kept walking til he was ready to go in. Yay!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.