lick question

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa has no allergic reactions that I can tell, knock on wood. Clean clean skin and fur, so clean that if theres lint on her we'd see it in a sec.
But
whenever shes chewing on something it ALWAYS leads to her licking her paws and I've always wondered why the general consensus is that paw licking is an allergy thing??

Her paws are spotless, her nails are manicured and the hairs are trimmed weekly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be she is licking due to them being wet?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I think it's pretty common, since she's in the "motion" of already licking/chewing a toy. If she does it no other time / I wouldn't even worry about it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say that her other "senses" are on overdrive since she can't see. I remember reading onetime that Helen Keller had a keen sense of smell, I would assume that animals would be the same.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Elsa has no allergic reactions that I can tell, knock on wood. Clean clean skin and fur, so clean that if theres lint on her we'd see it in a sec.
But
whenever shes chewing on something it ALWAYS leads to her licking her paws and I've always wondered why the general consensus is that paw licking is an allergy thing??

Her paws are spotless, her nails are manicured and the hairs are trimmed weekly.

I have this EXACT problem with Goob. He is also allergy free but once he chews his bone, it leads to a never ending paw licking session. I can place my hand in front of him and the licking will continue on my hand. I think he just gets in the zone. I would suggest that whenever you notice her licking her paws, just place her toy back in her mouth. That's the only thing that helps Goob focus back on his toys. I would also say to keep an eye on her "webs" in between her pads on the bottom. Goob's get VERY irritated because of the constant licking and the constant moisture.

20150331_152820(0).jpg This is what Goob's constant licking leads to

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think it's just a habit thing that they do sometimes.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have this EXACT problem with Goob. He is also allergy free but once he chews his bone, it leads to a never ending paw licking session. I can place my hand in front of him and the licking will continue on my hand. I think he just gets in the zone. I would suggest that whenever you notice her licking her paws, just place her toy back in her mouth. That's the only thing that helps Goob focus back on his toys. I would also say to keep an eye on her "webs" in between her pads on the bottom. Goob's get VERY irritated because of the constant licking and the constant moisture.

View attachment 87652 This is what Goob's constant licking leads to

Yikes!! We will watch for sure, thanks for making me feel like she's not the only one. :D

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say that her other "senses" are on overdrive since she can't see. I remember reading onetime that Helen Keller had a keen sense of smell, I would assume that animals would be the same.

Of all her other senses, smell is key with her. Her hearing is average and her sense of feel is average but her nose can pick up stuff I never ever imagined she would smell. Its kinda fascinating actually. Like a blood hound in a bully frame! LOL!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn is "king of the lickers", i think! he has a habit of licking his paws before he goes to sleep at night and then he works his licks onto the bed sheets. He licks so much that he starts gagging. The vet has pointed out that his paws are inflamed b/c of all the licking. When he is in a licking session I will attempt to distract him as best as i can and like [MENTION=12231]Goob14[/MENTION] said, try to give him his toy or something else to distract. On rare occasions i will spray a little bitter apple on his paws but only when i cannot get him to stop otherwise.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.