Dougthebull

May 29, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Doug
Hi everyone
I am thinking of buying a British bulldog from a family who have two puppies.
According to the breeder their family own the parent dogs (pictures seen) and they have two remaining puppies. The puppies had cherry eye which has apparently been operated on and said the will show me vet papers. I'm not experienced in such things so first question 1. Is it possible to forge vet papers and would it seem rude to ring said vets up and confirm?
How do I attach a photo of said puppy?
Thank you in advance

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi [MENTION=14271]Dougthebull[/MENTION], welcome to EBN:)

You should definitely call the vet and confirm, not rude at all. You must look after yourself as there are tons of scams out there. Never ever send money without seeing the puppy and its mother in person, it's very common with frauds:(

To attach a photo you click on the third icon from the right when in the reply field. It looks like a square with a tree in, greenish color.

:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi [MENTION=14271]Dougthebull[/MENTION], welcome to EBN:)

You should definitely call the vet and confirm, not rude at all. You must look after yourself as there are tons of scams out there. Never ever send money without seeing the puppy and its mother in person, it's very common with frauds:(

To attach a photo you click on the third icon from the right when in the reply field. It looks like a square with a tree in, greenish color.

:)

Totally agree!!!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Totally agree but if they had cherry eye and it had not been operated on wouldn't you still see it Christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
D

Dougthebull

May 29, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Doug
Thank you for your reply..
This is the puppy, does his eye look like it should after an op? (Trying to upload fx ) image.jpg

OP
D

Dougthebull

May 29, 2015
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Doug
I just want to be fully aware of what I'm buying, I know cherry eye is fairly common I jut want to have all grounds covered and get the best advice possible. They are not selling the puppy for thousands as he is not kc registered (doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in breeding or showing )

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
I just want to be fully aware of what I'm buying, I know cherry eye is fairly common I jut want to have all grounds covered and get the best advice possible. They are not selling the puppy for thousands as he is not kc registered (doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in breeding or showing )
You should phone the vet to confirm, it's not rude and you need to protect yourself, it's hard to judge by photos, someone we know has a bulldog who had cherry eye and they operated and made a pocket for it a couple of days later it came out so he had to be operated again, his eyes were really red at the bottom for a while, they are now fine and only go red when he is tired, there is so much to consider, with this it can also cause dry eye where they are on eye drops for the rest of their life, I would read about cherry eye on the Internet and defo confirm with their vet! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally agree but if they had cherry eye and it had not been operated on wouldn't you still see it Christine @2BullyMama

not always, they can go back in or be massaged back in place.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
certainly call the vet, as you are going to want to confirm that the pup is up to date on his puppy shots also. Cherry eye can be massaged back into place but if they are telling you they have proof of surgery, they probably had it repaired. Good luck with the new baby, how old is he?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Doug, I totally agree with the others, it is not rude to want to confirm the health of the puppy with the vet.
Most breeders will protect themselves by asking that you have the vet check out a puppy within a certain time frame for their warranty to be valid. When I bought Dozer and Blossom, I got a contract from the breeder and I had 4 days to take them to a vet and have them checked out for any health issues and genetic defects. If a breeder can ask for this, then it's acceptable for you to also ask questions and have the vet give you details about the pup, so that you are guaranteed that you are getting a healthy puppy. How old are the pups? They must be older to have had cherry eye surgery already.
My gemale Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and I had it repaired when she was 7 months old, at the same time as I had her spayed.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
People forge vet papers all the time, I'd try to find another breeder myself knowing what you know now about the cherry eyes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online