WHAT!! $28,000 for a lilac bulldog.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
hollywood bulldogs is always THE FIRST person to like any frank posts I tag with #englishbulldog on instagram. I swear he must have some automatic liking system in place. he's gross.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
That just adds to the creepy feeling of all that. :(

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Just curious as to the health problems these "Rare" bullies have, do they have them? I never read anything about them other than about color and DNA. Owners just promote that and I never see anyone asking what to do about such and such or giving advice when another ask a ? in reference to things that we are always asking about or giving advice on. I think the colors on these dogs they sell are very pretty but I believe in AKC standard and so I always wonder about health problems especially if your going to pay the amount of money they ask for in selling a puppy as a pet not to mention what they ask for when it comes to stud fee, wow.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If any breeder of dogs of any breed is breeding for COLOR, they may not be breeding for health of said breed, but for health of THEIR bank account! money.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just curious as to the health problems these "Rare" bullies have, do they have them? I never read anything about them other than about color and DNA. Owners just promote that and I never see anyone asking what to do about such and such or giving advice when another ask a ? in reference to things that we are always asking about or giving advice on. I think the colors on these dogs they sell are very pretty but I believe in AKC standard and so I always wonder about health problems especially if your going to pay the amount of money they ask for in selling a puppy as a pet not to mention what they ask for when it comes to stud fee, wow.

The blues/lilics are merle gene carriers. the merle gene is what dilutes the color and makes them light.
It's not part of the bulldog gene pool so in order for them to get those colors, they had to have been mixed. In essence, they're mutts.

Also, the merle gene is responsible for a crapload of health problems like deafness and blindness and skin conditions.
If only one dog is the carrier, the conditions won't manifest. But if you're constantly breeding the merle gene in, eventually all bulldogs would become mutts, and after a few generations, half would be carriers. That would bring in a whole new set of health problems. I think our breed has more than enough.

I can't even begin to describe how much disgust I have for these breeders. They're doing it only for the money. The consequences of their actions, the fact that they're introducing an unhealthy gene in doesn't concern them. They couldn't care less about bettering the breed- pure scum.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
The blues/lilics are merle gene carriers. the merle gene is what dilutes the color and makes them light.
It's not part of the bulldog gene pool so in order for them to get those colors, they had to have been mixed. In essence, they're mutts.

Also, the merle gene is responsible for a crapload of health problems like deafness and blindness and skin conditions.
If only one dog is the carrier, the conditions won't manifest. But if you're constantly breeding the merle gene in, eventually all bulldogs would become mutts, and after a few generations, half would be carriers. That would bring in a whole new set of health problems. I think our breed has more than enough.

I can't even begin to describe how much disgust I have for these breeders. They're doing it only for the money. The consequences of their actions, the fact that they're introducing an unhealthy gene in doesn't concern them. They couldn't care less about bettering the breed- pure scum.

very unfortunate reality and to add insult to injury and irony to the whole thing, the very people doing this irrepairable harm to the breed are being compensated and rewarded?

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
It's so sad.
In Germany there are also people offering rare coloured bulldogs for higher prices (but not such categories as $28000)...

Lilac and blue can be linked with a genetic disease called 'Blue Dobermann Syndrome'. I'm not shure if meanwhile there is a test to test if an individual (lilac/blue) carries this genetic disease, but I'm sure all those nonreputable breeders, backyard-breeders and puppymillers will never spend money on any testing...

I feel especially sorry for the females who are rare coloured or who are rare 'carriers' and who are in the hands of such greedy people - those females are the ones abused and exploited for getting those absurd amounts of money...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's so sad.
In Germany there are also people offering rare coloured bulldogs for higher prices (but not such categories as $28000)...

Lilac and blue can be linked with a genetic disease called 'Blue Dobermann Syndrome'. I'm not shure if meanwhile there is a test to test if an individual (lilac/blue) carries this genetic disease, but I'm sure all those nonreputable breeders, backyard-breeders and puppymillers will never spend money on any testing...

I feel especially sorry for the females who are rare coloured or who are rare 'carriers' and who are in the hands of such greedy people - those females are the ones abused and exploited for getting those absurd amounts of money...

There is a test for the gene, and the a-holes trying to breed colors are testing dogs to make sure they carry it.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
Thank you for this information, nycbullymama. I didn't know they abuse it on their own behalf.
Cruel greedy people...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.