Does anyone else deal with this?!?!

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
My dog is gas happy! He simply will not get out of the car unless it's a parking lot (like at PetSmart) or the vet's--WEIRD, I know--but Duke loves his vet! However, when he gets home and we pull in the garage--he will not get out of the car---for hours! I try everything to coerce him--treats, which he loves--but they are not effective when he is in the car. On some rare occasions he will get out if I show and throw his favorite tennis ball. I leave the passenger door open so he can get out when he wants and the door to the house cracked so he can come in (Please, come in!!!). He will get out on his own if he is hot, but last night--we had a cool rain and he forsook dinner and my bed to stay in the car ALL NIGHT! I finally had to go to sleep, but I went out to the garage several times during the night and early morning to try and convince him to come inside, but to no avail. I have a MINI Cooper, so it's not like he has plenty of room to lounge. He's in the driver's seat right now as I type this, totally ignoring my pleas! I really want to know if anyone has experienced this particular bulldog phenomena?!

OP
DukeDutchess

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Fisher Veterinary Hospital
3700 Gresham Lake Rd, Raleigh, NC 27616
(919) 790-0412
Dr. Fisher owns several and breeds bulldogs (including show dogs). Duke actually whines if he sees Dr. Fisher and another dog's appointment is before his! He is an awesome vet--not out to make a ton of money on unnecessary procedures and offers practical advice of home remedies for common bulldog issues! I HIGHLY recommend him. He knows the breed VERY well and loves on them shamelessly.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
How odd! My girl doesn't have this issue but given how stubborn bullies can be it doesn't surprise me. Belle is only 45 lbs so I can pick her up if she gets stubborn and refuses to go somewhere. Is that an option for you? It sounds like he knows that he can get away with it which is probably only making it worse.

OP
DukeDutchess

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Ive tried. Duke is 70 lbs and resists (by pulling back) when I try to pick him up.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally can be like that sometimes… when we get home he is stubborn, and I usually have to pick him up by his harness. The Julian K-9 harness has a handle of the top which helps me to get him out. I would be careful letting him sit in the car during the summer, it's starting to get hot. You don't want him to overheat...

OP
DukeDutchess

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Right--about the overheating! I am very afraid and conscious of that. Last night it was very cool--and that is the only reason I did not "drag" him out --for lack of a better method. Sounds horrible, I know, but he sometimes leaves me no choice.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Fisher Veterinary Hospital
3700 Gresham Lake Rd, Raleigh, NC 27616
(919) 790-0412
Dr. Fisher owns several and breeds bulldogs (including show dogs). Duke actually whines if he sees Dr. Fisher and another dog's appointment is before his! He is an awesome vet--not out to make a ton of money on unnecessary procedures and offers practical advice of home remedies for common bulldog issues! I HIGHLY recommend him. He knows the breed VERY well and loves on them shamelessly.

Thank you going to give them a call.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh that is too funny--well, not really, I know it is frustrating. The only idea I have is a really high value treat (like steak?!). Maybe the cheese was that. It cracks me up, though, imagining him just sitting there in the driver's seat for hours!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wally can be like that sometimes… when we get home he is stubborn, and I usually have to pick him up by his harness. The Julian K-9 harness has a handle of the top which helps me to get him out. I would be careful letting him sit in the car during the summer, it's starting to get hot. You don't want him to overheat...

Only way I can get Buster in and out of the truck with yhe Julius K9! But Buster topped out at 56 pounds too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You know their once was a show called "Who's the Boss?" :ROFL: Get him a kid's car bed for in the house!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... that is too freakin funny! He definitely wants to make sure you do not leave the house without him!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online