Would your bully pass the Canine Good Citizen Test?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I really want Bella to pass the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. I'd like her to be a part of Pets on Wheels or another type of therapy dog program. A lot of these programs require CGC certified dogs. Bella gets a lot of socialization, but she still goes ballistic around other dogs. I can usually get her to calm down around adult people, but she really loses it over dogs and kids. I wonder if this will lessen as she matures. She is almost 8 months old and she has a butt-load of energy. Anyway, would your bully pass the CGC??

Test Items and Pledge - American Kennel Club

The CGC test includes:
  1. Accepting a Friendly Stranger
    The dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler.
  2. Sitting Politely for Petting
    The dog will allow a friendly stranger to pet it while it is out with its handler.
  3. Appearance and Grooming
    The dog will permit someone to check it’s ears and front feet, as a groomer or veterinarian would do.
  4. Out for a Walk (walking on a loose lead)
    Following the evaluator’s instructions, the dog will walk on a loose lead (with the handler/owner).
  5. Walking Through a Crowd
    This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places. The dog and handler walk around and pass close to several people (at least three).
  6. Sit and Down on Command and Staying in Place
    The dog must do sit AND down on command, then the owner chooses the position for leaving the dog in the stay.
  7. Coming When Called
    This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called by the handler (from 10 feet on a leash).
  8. Reaction to Another Dog
    This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries.
  9. Reaction to Distraction
    The evaluator will select and present two distractions such as dropping a chair, etc.
  10. Supervised Separation
    This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like, "Would you like me to watch your dog?" and then take hold of the dog's leash. The owner will go out of sight for three minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness. Evaluators may talk to the dog but should not engage in excessive talking, petting, or management attempts (e.g, "there, there, it's alright").

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My guys wouldn't pass every test, lol
they would pass # 1 to 5 for sure, # 6, they would pass sit and down on command, but not staying in place., # 7, they would only come when called, when they felt like it or if I had a treat for them, and they would pass # 8, 9, and 10.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My guys wouldn't pass every test, lol
they would pass # 1 to 5 for sure, # 6, they would pass sit and down on command, but not staying in place., # 7, they would only come when called, when they felt like it or if I had a treat for them, and they would pass # 8, 9, and 10.

Your dogs pass the stuff that's difficult for Bella! :D Right now, she'd gloriously fail #8 (reacting to other dogs) and the ones that involve crowds and other people, she could pass if she's drugged or really sleepy.

She'd pass the ones involving commands, separation, distraction, etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
#7 at this point is an epic fail unless I say I have a cookie!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Seriously? Dropping a chair?! Well, Winnie would pass very few. She loves all people and is way too boisterous about it, i.e. jumping up. She will come when I call her only if she wants to. If she doesn't want to come she totally ignores me. She is polite around other dogs, other than bossing them around. She passes #10 nicely--in fact, when I take her to daycare, she doesn't even look back at me! She will sit and down, but she won't stay there. And she pulls terribly on the leash until half of the walk is over, then she walks nicely. I think she's hopeless :unsure:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Nope FTSE would fail for sure does not like people touching him but the family

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
@harveyspecter
You have to pass EVERYTHING! LOL

So far, none of our EBN bullies would pass. :( haha...I still have hope!

Bella took to test back in March (at 5 months old) and let's just say she did less than stellar. She didn't even pass the stuff that she knows very well (like sit/stay) because she saw her English Mastiff boyfriend. She ran to him right in the middle of then test!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Nope nope nope... Boris doesn't listen to really anyone but myself... He also would flip his @#%! if you dropped a chair anyway near him. I think he could pass walking through a crowd, but crowds usually include someone "OH A BULLDOG WHAT A CUTE PUPPY" at that point we would fail.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob aces number 3 and number 3 alone. I would call that an EPIC failure! ha...The best thing he can do for society is stay in the house, in the back yard, or on a leash. My poor baby...stranger danger!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Mmm, NO! Joey would probably pass everything... but not because she's well trained but because she's lazy, so it would all depend on luck, lol. But my other two... no way!

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
Lol i took mone to school so they can get ready for that. School done i never did it. They're so stubborn. They do things on their time.

Vader The Bully

Mar 20, 2015
Chino Hills, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darth Vader
We are actually about to start Basic Obedience next week with the hopes he can pass too!

Vader would probably have a tough time with 3 and 5 right now. He's totally in to exploring everyone around when we're out walking in crowds. He's only 4 1/2 months right now so we've got some time to work on it! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@harveyspecter
You have to pass EVERYTHING! LOL

So far, none of our EBN bullies would pass. :( haha...I still have hope!

Bella took to test back in March (at 5 months old) and let's just say she did less than stellar. She didn't even pass the stuff that she knows very well (like sit/stay) because she saw her English Mastiff boyfriend. She ran to him right in the middle of then test!

I used to work at a dog daycare and they did this class there... and there is hope ... all owner dependent, as there were a few bulldogs that were in the classes and passed without issue. I think Lambeau would do fine, but #7 right now is an issue for him - he stops when i call him, but he just stands and stares at me :stinkeye:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online