Seasonal Bald Spots

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So.. EVERY Spring Vegas get's seasonal Alopecia, used to it, he's 6, use the Vetericyn and a steroid cream. This year our 4 year old Siamese :evil: cat has it too, he is missing spots along his back. This is not contagious right??? This is the worse year for Vegas ever, he has several bald spots, but our cat now has 3. I know it's just allergies and he is being treated accordinally, but what in the world with the cat?? Any one know??

And NO it's NOT mange. Which Vegas has also had in the past. Just weird for the first time the cat got it too.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is crazy… I've had cats before and I've never had any of them get the alopecia. Poor baby…

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I gave Martha melatonin all winter. This year she got the black patches on her skin, but no hair loss, and now the black is fading away. I don't think aloepecia is common in cats. Fungus,thyroid,fleas/flea allergy, or other allergies can cause them to lose hair

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
So.. EVERY Spring Vegas get's seasonal Alopecia, used to it, he's 6, use the Vetericyn and a steroid cream. This year our 4 year old Siamese :evil: cat has it too, he is missing spots along his back. This is not contagious right??? This is the worse year for Vegas ever, he has several bald spots, but our cat now has 3. I know it's just allergies and he is being treated accordinally, but what in the world with the cat?? Any one know??

And NO it's NOT mange. Which Vegas has also had in the past. Just weird for the first time the cat got it too.
This is the first year for Abbott to get Alopecia on his flanks. Our vet said melatonin once a day at night 3 mg no more than 6 mg .She said to much can make them hyper.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Down and dirty dosage guide for Melatonin if you want to go that route.

Recommended Dosage: Research recommends not exceeding a dosage of 3 to 6 mg every 8 to 12 hours.
A general guideline is:

• 1.5 mg for dogs under 25 lbs
  • 3 mg for an average medium to large sized dog 26-99 lbs
  • 6 mg if the dog’s weight exceeds 100 lbs
This dose can be given once or twice daily.
If given once daily, the recommendation is to dose in the evening.

Seasonal Alopecia can affect cats as well.

Human Alopecia on the other hand blows as my daughter has Alopecia Areata and there is no cure or specific treatment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the devil cat has it! never heard of it on a cat.... wow!

📰 Latest posts

Members online