Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

Ok, I was born and raised in Florida but where I lived dogs we were not permitted to take dogs on the beach so I have never been able to take my girls. They have been to the river and creeks but never the beach. This summer we are headed for a week in the Florida Keys and I have already researched dog friendly beaches. I am not planning to stay long as I am very careful about the heat and just want them to experience the beach and splash around for a bit.

So what do I need to take besides water and towels? What if they take a lick of the water...obviously I won't let them drink it but what if they do get a lap or two? Will they get diarrhea? I just want to be overly prepared in case anything happens. I already found a vet just in case. Lol Any advice is welcomed. Thanks
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

We have dog beaches here in SoCal. Just make sure you take life vest with you so they can be in the water and be ok.
    Hug your bully today

3. Likes TyTysmom, Kevikell, dolphin liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Life jackets, water, Benadryl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

5. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Life jackets, water, Benadryl.

Good idea! I always carry meds with me when we go out of town but maybe I should keep the Benadryl on me at all times!

7. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    Good idea! I always carry meds with me when we go out of town but maybe I should keep the Benadryl on me at all times!
    In the event of an emergency reaction benadryl can give you the add'l minutes needed to get to an ER vet. It can save a life. I carry it on me anywhere when we take Tyson.

My whole heart, Tyson.

9. Likes Kevikell, 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    In the event of an emergency reaction benadryl can give you the add'l minutes needed to get to an ER vet. It can save a life. I carry it on me anywhere when we take Tyson.

Oh forgot one thing. Camera for pics so you can post here at EBN hee hee

Also, just thought of this. Bring small bottle of rubbing alcohol. It can be used on the paw pads in the event of over heating. To cool them down... Make sure you have some shade available for them to cool off in between play time. And give them Ice chips as treats to keep their bodies cool

My whole heart, Tyson.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Go in the early morning or late evening so you can stay out a little longer without being in the heat.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

12. Likes 2BullyMama, Kevikell liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

i never attempted it.... so please share photos when you do!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Water water water water and a good harness and leash

15. Likes Kevikell liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kelly, you are right to be concerned about the safety of your Bullies at the beach, they don't tolerate heat very well, and only for short periods of time. You don't want them drinking any salt water, as this can make them sick, and cause diarrhea, and can also cause dehydration. You want to make sure you have collapsible water bowls with you, and plenty of fresh water for them to drink. Make sure they have shaded areas to cool off and rest and to get out of the sun. Bullies can get sunburned easily, just like people, especially the white ones with pink skin, you want to protect their skin, nose and ears with sunscreen, also the sand can be very hot on their sensitive paws, and cause burns, blisters and sores, as well as they can cut their paws on rocks, glass, and shells. Watch that they don't ingest things like garbage, seaweed, or other foreign objects. Also keep vinegar on hand to rinse them if they get a cut or sore, or if they get stung by a bee, wasp or jellyfish, it will take the stinging away. Make sure you have their collars on them with their ID tags in case they get lost. Make sure you have a life jacket on them because Bullies can't swim.

Here is a list of some other tips for Beach Safety with Your Dog

1. Not all dogs can swim. That’s right, the doggie paddle does not come naturally to every dog … like Ty for example. In fact, certain breeds like Corgis and Pugs don’t swim at all. Find some quiet water and give your dog a chance to show you if he can swim or not by encouraging him to follow you. Never throw your dog in the water and expect him to swim.

2. Drinking salt water is a bad idea. This is logical, and yet getting Buster continues to try to lap up the ocean. The more I want him to stop – the more he wants to drink. In the event you have more luck with your dog, pack plenty of water to keep you both hydrated.

3. Invest in a life vest. Waves, current, and rip tides can quickly exhaust your dog, and that can be deadly. Life vests made specially for dogs come in all sizes. When you’re making your selection, look for one that fastens at three points and has a handle on the back, making it easy for you to lift your dog out of the water.

4. Use sun screen. You’re not the only one that needs to be concerned with sun burn. Get a sun screen specially formulated for dogs and apply it to your dog’s nose and ears 30 minutes before hitting the beach.

5. Beware of submerged dangers. Sharp rocks, shells, coral, and jellyfish can injure your dog. And, because dogs often don’t indicate when they’re in pain, you’ll need to watch his body language and carefully check him for cuts and scrapes.

6. Calm water is best. Surf boards, jet skis, and big waves can frighten your dog. Find a quiet place to play with your pup, or locate a local dog beach were surfing and boating are not allowed.

7. Head for cover. The sun and the sand are fun, but it’s nice to have a place to take a break in the shade and out of the wind. Consider bringing an inexpensive tent to give you and your dog a comfortable place to relax.

8. Don’t overdo it. Running on sand is strenuous, so don’t expect your dog to be able to fetch as long as he might at the dog park. And, start slow, giving him time to warm up to avoid a muscle pull.

9. Cold water can hurt. Remember, if your dog has arthritis or other joint issues, swimming in cold water can irritate the condition. Stick to shallow water and bays where the water is warmer.

10. Rinse thoroughly. When you’re done playing, take time to rinse salt, sand, and microscopic organisms from your dog’s coat. Also, be sure to dry your dog’s ears as moisture in the ear canal can cause ear infections.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

17. Likes Kevikell liked this post
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

Do Not Go on windy days. They are miserable with the sand blowing in their eyes. Ralphie

19. Likes Kevikell liked this post
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all of the tips. I will definitely share pics of their beach adventure...even if it lasts only a few minutes.

21. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads