Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Til's been to the beach a bunch. No need to stress about it, just be prepared!

Get life jackets for your bullies. Most bullies cannot swim at all - Matilda doesn't even have the instinct to swim, as in, she doesn't even try to paddle in water. She will literally just sit there and sink. But she loves the water and likes to wade in, so life jackets are a great precaution. If they get in too deep or get nailed by a wave, at least it will keep their head up and buy you some time to intervene. There's also the added bonus of a wet life jacket will keep them cool and protect them from the sun!

Speaking of, bullies tend to not have a lot of hair (especially the white ones) and get sunburnt very easily. I slather water resistant baby sunscreen SPF 70+ all over Til (don't forget head, ears, face!) and it does a great job of preventing burning.

Bring plenty of water and an umbrella for shade if it's going to be a long day. Plus towels so they don't have to lay on hot sand.

Beach toys are a must! Tilly loooooves to chase balls into the water - just at the shore of course, not too deep in.

Other than that, just have fun! If it's REALLY hot out, it may be best just to leave the bullies home, but you should be fine. We also have a cooling vest that you get wet and it stays cold for hours. You can find them online or at pet stores. We never really use it though, since we're in CA and the water is so cold already. Til spends the whole day splashing in the waves, so she's plenty cooled off.

Here's some shots from our beach trip this weekend :) The life vest is from Petsmart's Martha Stewart line. So cute and functional!

IMG_0725.JPGIMG_0727.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0734.JPG

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Til's been to the beach a bunch. No need to stress about it, just be prepared!

Get life jackets for your bullies. Most bullies cannot swim at all - Matilda doesn't even have the instinct to swim, as in, she doesn't even try to paddle in water. She will literally just sit there and sink. But she loves the water and likes to wade in, so life jackets are a great precaution. If they get in too deep or get nailed by a wave, at least it will keep their head up and buy you some time to intervene. There's also the added bonus of a wet life jacket will keep them cool and protect them from the sun!

Speaking of, bullies tend to not have a lot of hair (especially the white ones) and get sunburnt very easily. I slather water resistant baby sunscreen SPF 70+ all over Til (don't forget head, ears, face!) and it does a great job of preventing burning.

Bring plenty of water and an umbrella for shade if it's going to be a long day. Plus towels so they don't have to lay on hot sand.

Beach toys are a must! Tilly loooooves to chase balls into the water - just at the shore of course, not too deep in.

Other than that, just have fun! If it's REALLY hot out, it may be best just to leave the bullies home, but you should be fine. We also have a cooling vest that you get wet and it stays cold for hours. You can find them online or at pet stores. We never really use it though, since we're in CA and the water is so cold already. Til spends the whole day splashing in the waves, so she's plenty cooled off.

Here's some shots from our beach trip this weekend :) The life vest is from Petsmart's Martha Stewart line. So cute and functional!

View attachment 87479View attachment 87480View attachment 87481View attachment 87482

Thanks for the reassurance! I love Tilly's life jacket. So girly. ;) I had to rescue one of my bully's at a waterfall once. She slipped on the rocks into a small pool of water and I fell with my expensive camera hanging around my neck trying to rescue her. She kept her head above water but her back end was pulling her down like an anchor. The water is quite shallow but she happened to find a deep spot. About gave me a heart attack!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.