Advice for taking a bully to the beach?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Ok, I was born and raised in Florida but where I lived dogs we were not permitted to take dogs on the beach so I have never been able to take my girls. They have been to the river and creeks but never the beach. This summer we are headed for a week in the Florida Keys and I have already researched dog friendly beaches. I am not planning to stay long as I am very careful about the heat and just want them to experience the beach and splash around for a bit.

So what do I need to take besides water and towels? What if they take a lick of the water...obviously I won't let them drink it but what if they do get a lap or two? Will they get diarrhea? I just want to be overly prepared in case anything happens. I already found a vet just in case. Lol Any advice is welcomed. Thanks:p

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Life jackets, water, Benadryl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Life jackets, water, Benadryl.

Good idea! I always carry meds with me when we go out of town but maybe I should keep the Benadryl on me at all times!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Good idea! I always carry meds with me when we go out of town but maybe I should keep the Benadryl on me at all times!

In the event of an emergency reaction benadryl can give you the add'l minutes needed to get to an ER vet. It can save a life. I carry it on me anywhere when we take Tyson. [emoji3]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
In the event of an emergency reaction benadryl can give you the add'l minutes needed to get to an ER vet. It can save a life. I carry it on me anywhere when we take Tyson. [emoji3]

Oh forgot one thing. Camera for pics so you can post here at EBN :) hee hee

Also, just thought of this. Bring small bottle of rubbing alcohol. It can be used on the paw pads in the event of over heating. To cool them down... Make sure you have some shade available for them to cool off in between play time. And give them Ice chips as treats to keep their bodies cool ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Go in the early morning or late evening so you can stay out a little longer without being in the heat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i never attempted it.... so please share photos when you do!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Water water water water and a good harness and leash

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kelly, you are right to be concerned about the safety of your Bullies at the beach, they don't tolerate heat very well, and only for short periods of time. You don't want them drinking any salt water, as this can make them sick, and cause diarrhea, and can also cause dehydration. You want to make sure you have collapsible water bowls with you, and plenty of fresh water for them to drink. Make sure they have shaded areas to cool off and rest and to get out of the sun. Bullies can get sunburned easily, just like people, especially the white ones with pink skin, you want to protect their skin, nose and ears with sunscreen, also the sand can be very hot on their sensitive paws, and cause burns, blisters and sores, as well as they can cut their paws on rocks, glass, and shells. Watch that they don't ingest things like garbage, seaweed, or other foreign objects. Also keep vinegar on hand to rinse them if they get a cut or sore, or if they get stung by a bee, wasp or jellyfish, it will take the stinging away. Make sure you have their collars on them with their ID tags in case they get lost. Make sure you have a life jacket on them because Bullies can't swim.

Here is a list of some other tips for Beach Safety with Your Dog

1. Not all dogs can swim. Thatā€™s right, the doggie paddle does not come naturally to every dog ā€¦ like Ty for example. In fact, certain breeds like Corgis and Pugs donā€™t swim at all. Find some quiet water and give your dog a chance to show you if he can swim or not by encouraging him to follow you. Never throw your dog in the water and expect him to swim.

2. Drinking salt water is a bad idea. This is logical, and yet getting Buster continues to try to lap up the ocean. The more I want him to stop ā€“ the more he wants to drink. In the event you have more luck with your dog, pack plenty of water to keep you both hydrated.

3. Invest in a life vest. Waves, current, and rip tides can quickly exhaust your dog, and that can be deadly. Life vests made specially for dogs come in all sizes. When youā€™re making your selection, look for one that fastens at three points and has a handle on the back, making it easy for you to lift your dog out of the water.

4. Use sun screen. Youā€™re not the only one that needs to be concerned with sun burn. Get a sun screen specially formulated for dogs and apply it to your dogā€™s nose and ears 30 minutes before hitting the beach.

5. Beware of submerged dangers. Sharp rocks, shells, coral, and jellyfish can injure your dog. And, because dogs often donā€™t indicate when theyā€™re in pain, youā€™ll need to watch his body language and carefully check him for cuts and scrapes.

6. Calm water is best. Surf boards, jet skis, and big waves can frighten your dog. Find a quiet place to play with your pup, or locate a local dog beach were surfing and boating are not allowed.

7. Head for cover. The sun and the sand are fun, but itā€™s nice to have a place to take a break in the shade and out of the wind. Consider bringing an inexpensive tent to give you and your dog a comfortable place to relax.

8. Donā€™t overdo it. Running on sand is strenuous, so donā€™t expect your dog to be able to fetch as long as he might at the dog park. And, start slow, giving him time to warm up to avoid a muscle pull.

9. Cold water can hurt. Remember, if your dog has arthritis or other joint issues, swimming in cold water can irritate the condition. Stick to shallow water and bays where the water is warmer.

10. Rinse thoroughly. When youā€™re done playing, take time to rinse salt, sand, and microscopic organisms from your dogā€™s coat. Also, be sure to dry your dogā€™s ears as moisture in the ear canal can cause ear infections.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Do Not Go on windy days. They are miserable with the sand blowing in their eyes. Ralphie

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all of the tips. I will definitely share pics of their beach adventure...even if it lasts only a few minutes.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You guys have me thinking about taking a beach trip with Bella soon... Hmmm...

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hi Kelly, you are right to be concerned about the safety of your Bullies at the beach, they don't tolerate heat very well, and only for short periods of time. You don't want them drinking any salt water, as this can make them sick, and cause diarrhea, and can also cause dehydration. You want to make sure you have collapsible water bowls with you, and plenty of fresh water for them to drink. Make sure they have shaded areas to cool off and rest and to get out of the sun. Bullies can get sunburned easily, just like people, especially the white ones with pink skin, you want to protect their skin, nose and ears with sunscreen, also the sand can be very hot on their sensitive paws, and cause burns, blisters and sores, as well as they can cut their paws on rocks, glass, and shells. Watch that they don't ingest things like garbage, seaweed, or other foreign objects. Also keep vinegar on hand to rinse them if they get a cut or sore, or if they get stung by a bee, wasp or jellyfish, it will take the stinging away. Make sure you have their collars on them with their ID tags in case they get lost. Make sure you have a life jacket on them because Bullies can't swim.

Here is a list of some other tips for Beach Safety with Your Dog

1. Not all dogs can swim. Thatā€™s right, the doggie paddle does not come naturally to every dog ā€¦ like Ty for example. In fact, certain breeds like Corgis and Pugs donā€™t swim at all. Find some quiet water and give your dog a chance to show you if he can swim or not by encouraging him to follow you. Never throw your dog in the water and expect him to swim.

2. Drinking salt water is a bad idea. This is logical, and yet getting Buster continues to try to lap up the ocean. The more I want him to stop ā€“ the more he wants to drink. In the event you have more luck with your dog, pack plenty of water to keep you both hydrated.

3. Invest in a life vest. Waves, current, and rip tides can quickly exhaust your dog, and that can be deadly. Life vests made specially for dogs come in all sizes. When youā€™re making your selection, look for one that fastens at three points and has a handle on the back, making it easy for you to lift your dog out of the water.

4. Use sun screen. Youā€™re not the only one that needs to be concerned with sun burn. Get a sun screen specially formulated for dogs and apply it to your dogā€™s nose and ears 30 minutes before hitting the beach.

5. Beware of submerged dangers. Sharp rocks, shells, coral, and jellyfish can injure your dog. And, because dogs often donā€™t indicate when theyā€™re in pain, youā€™ll need to watch his body language and carefully check him for cuts and scrapes.

6. Calm water is best. Surf boards, jet skis, and big waves can frighten your dog. Find a quiet place to play with your pup, or locate a local dog beach were surfing and boating are not allowed.

7. Head for cover. The sun and the sand are fun, but itā€™s nice to have a place to take a break in the shade and out of the wind. Consider bringing an inexpensive tent to give you and your dog a comfortable place to relax.

8. Donā€™t overdo it. Running on sand is strenuous, so donā€™t expect your dog to be able to fetch as long as he might at the dog park. And, start slow, giving him time to warm up to avoid a muscle pull.

9. Cold water can hurt. Remember, if your dog has arthritis or other joint issues, swimming in cold water can irritate the condition. Stick to shallow water and bays where the water is warmer.

10. Rinse thoroughly. When youā€™re done playing, take time to rinse salt, sand, and microscopic organisms from your dogā€™s coat. Also, be sure to dry your dogā€™s ears as moisture in the ear canal can cause ear infections.

great tips

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ok, I was born and raised in Florida but where I lived dogs we were not permitted to take dogs on the beach so I have never been able to take my girls. They have been to the river and creeks but never the beach. This summer we are headed for a week in the Florida Keys and I have already researched dog friendly beaches. I am not planning to stay long as I am very careful about the heat and just want them to experience the beach and splash around for a bit.

So what do I need to take besides water and towels? What if they take a lick of the water...obviously I won't let them drink it but what if they do get a lap or two? Will they get diarrhea? I just want to be overly prepared in case anything happens. I already found a vet just in case. Lol Any advice is welcomed. Thanks:p

If you can, take ice cubes, if not, plenty of fresh, cold water.
When we were in the keys, Blue didn't drink the water, but I kept sticking ice cubes into his mouth and he loved it..lol..

Just remember, keep them in the water - and if they're out, in the shade. A little panting here and there is normal, but if it's consistent, get them out of the heat fast.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.