Thread: People allergic to JUST bulldogs?

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Default People allergic to JUST bulldogs?

Here is and odd one. My aunt appears to be allergic to Duchess. But the thing is, we have other dogs in the family, including my Aunt's dog, Shitzus, Labs, and she has no reaction to them.

She gets small, itchy bumps, and some redness. We tested it last night with Duchess licking one arm and rubbing some hair on the other arm. Only the hair arm reacted. And the hair has to touch her. She was in her house and Duchess has shed all over the place, but she only reacted when touching the hair.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there something special about bulldog hair? It is not medication, not flea/ tick stuff, not shampoo....

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: People allergic to JUST bulldogs?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post
    Here is and odd one. My aunt appears to be allergic to Duchess. But the thing is, we have other dogs in the family, including my Aunt's dog, Shitzus, Labs, and she has no reaction to them.

She gets small, itchy bumps, and some redness. We tested it last night with Duchess licking one arm and rubbing some hair on the other arm. Only the hair arm reacted. And the hair has to touch her. She was in her house and Duchess has shed all over the place, but she only reacted when touching the hair.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there something special about bulldog hair? It is not medication, not flea/ tick stuff, not shampoo....
    I was just about to mention that Brady Bunch episode during which Jan thought she was alergic to their dog Tiger. It turns out she was allergic to his doggie shampoo!

If it's not that sort of thing, I'm at a loss. Maybe each dog's dander is so different that a person could be allergic to some and not others.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Real Name
    Leslie
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola, Floyd
    Likes (Received)

My son is allergic to cats but there is about 4 he doesn't have a reaction to, I've always just thought they had different dander.

4. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

My vet is allergic to Sharpeis and no other dogs, so I guess it's possible to be allergic to Bulldogs only.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Allergies are weird. I used to get welts on my arms and it would itch like mad when I would give Chumly a hug first thing in the morning, no other time. It also happened with a Springer we had. It hasn't happened with any other pets! Strange.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I guess that it's a possibility… I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but since I've been getting injections I'm doing just fine. Allergies honestly have NO rhyme or reason to them… it just happens out of the blue.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

My boyfriend never had any allergies to dogs growing up, and his family had several. As soon as frank came home be noticed he would get itchy red bumps when he touched him or picked him up. It also get his nose running a bit if we lay with frank in bed. He said he's never had any type of allergic reaction to a dog before, I thought it was so weird! He takes an allergy pill daily and just deals with it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Not specifically a Bulldog thing, but I think all animal dander is different so you can have a reaction to one dog and not another... a reaction to cats but not dogs. as someone else mentioned -- no rhyme or reason.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Yes, my fiance as well is allergic to Jovi. It is mostly when she licks him he will break out. Touching her makes him just itch a lot but he deals with it. We currently have someone staying with us and he too is experiencing this. So it may just be something about bulldog dander or saliva

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
    Likes (Received)

Bulldogs are often more yeasty compared to other dogs. Hank is allergic to his own yeast according to our vet Tank is going thru old dog allergies and crusty skin also currently. Bathing him every week seems to help us because if he doesn't get his bath my husband and I break out where we touch him.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)

I was allergic to my first bully and it was from his hair too. I bathed him a lot more and that seemed to help or I loved him so much it didn't bother me, almost like mind over matter.
    I am not at all allergic to my second one!? They must have different dander.

Remove Ads