oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Here is and odd one. My aunt appears to be allergic to Duchess. But the thing is, we have other dogs in the family, including my Aunt's dog, Shitzus, Labs, and she has no reaction to them.

She gets small, itchy bumps, and some redness. We tested it last night with Duchess licking one arm and rubbing some hair on the other arm. Only the hair arm reacted. And the hair has to touch her. She was in her house and Duchess has shed all over the place, but she only reacted when touching the hair.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there something special about bulldog hair? It is not medication, not flea/ tick stuff, not shampoo....:help1:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Here is and odd one. My aunt appears to be allergic to Duchess. But the thing is, we have other dogs in the family, including my Aunt's dog, Shitzus, Labs, and she has no reaction to them.

She gets small, itchy bumps, and some redness. We tested it last night with Duchess licking one arm and rubbing some hair on the other arm. Only the hair arm reacted. And the hair has to touch her. She was in her house and Duchess has shed all over the place, but she only reacted when touching the hair.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there something special about bulldog hair? It is not medication, not flea/ tick stuff, not shampoo....:help1:

I was just about to mention that Brady Bunch episode during which Jan thought she was alergic to their dog Tiger. It turns out she was allergic to his doggie shampoo! :D

If it's not that sort of thing, I'm at a loss. Maybe each dog's dander is so different that a person could be allergic to some and not others.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
My son is allergic to cats but there is about 4 he doesn't have a reaction to, I've always just thought they had different dander.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Allergies are weird. I used to get welts on my arms and it would itch like mad when I would give Chumly a hug first thing in the morning, no other time. It also happened with a Springer we had. It hasn't happened with any other pets! Strange.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I guess that it's a possibility… I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but since I've been getting injections I'm doing just fine. Allergies honestly have NO rhyme or reason to them… it just happens out of the blue.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
My boyfriend never had any allergies to dogs growing up, and his family had several. As soon as frank came home be noticed he would get itchy red bumps when he touched him or picked him up. It also get his nose running a bit if we lay with frank in bed. He said he's never had any type of allergic reaction to a dog before, I thought it was so weird! He takes an allergy pill daily and just deals with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not specifically a Bulldog thing, but I think all animal dander is different so you can have a reaction to one dog and not another... a reaction to cats but not dogs. as someone else mentioned -- no rhyme or reason.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes, my fiance as well is allergic to Jovi. It is mostly when she licks him he will break out. Touching her makes him just itch a lot but he deals with it. We currently have someone staying with us and he too is experiencing this. So it may just be something about bulldog dander or saliva

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Bulldogs are often more yeasty compared to other dogs. Hank is allergic to his own yeast according to our vet Tank is going thru old dog allergies and crusty skin also currently. Bathing him every week seems to help us because if he doesn't get his bath my husband and I break out where we touch him.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I was allergic to my first bully and it was from his hair too. I bathed him a lot more and that seemed to help or I loved him so much it didn't bother me, almost like mind over matter.
I am not at all allergic to my second one!? They must have different dander.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.