ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi all,

At what age did you start trusting your furbaby to sleep out of their crate at a night, Ruby currently sleeps in our room but in her crate on my side of the room I want to start trusting her to sleep out of her crate so eventually we can take the crate down and she can be free to then sleep where she chooses,

At what age did you start trusting them to have free roam of the house during the day while your out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our current two, Cheli (French Bulldog) and Lambeau probably will not have free roam as they can not be trusted together... too much mischief.
Our first two, Nitshcke and Banks were free during the day at age of about 2 yrs.... we slowly gave them the house over a few weeks. Both were trusted the rest of their lives and they slept with us from about the age of 8 months. However, we never took the crate down/away... we removed the door (stored it) and they would still use it when they just wanted to be alone for awhile ... chew a bone, take a nap or just to chill. we trained them that it was their 'safe' place and when they were in their crate we did not allow the other to bother them and we also did the same... never touched them when in the crate that was their down time.

On the safety note... it is always best to crate them when you are not at home.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea still sleeps in her crate at night as she can't be trusted not to eat whatever fits in her mouth. During the day she has free roam of the front room, living room and kitchen, but I am always home so that isn't a big deal. When we go out if we know it is for 2 hours or less she has the same freedom she usually has, but if it is going to be longer then she goes in her play pen until we get home. Harlea loves her play pen as I have it sitting by a window with one of her beds in it and even when someone is here she usually just chills in it with the door open.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My youngest was about a year old, when I started leaving her out during the day-just started with an hour at a time, and gradually left longer.Some were more trustworthy younger, some not. They all still sleep in their crates at night-just because they were used to it, and I just continued it.

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
When we first got patch we never had him in a crate and then he decided to chew the kitchen wall, we then decided to get him a crate around 4 months old, he never got used to crate training no matter what we tried so when he was around 7 months old we decided to let him upstairs to bed with us and it toilet trained him through the night because he knew that he wasn't allowed to go to the toilet upstairs.. when we are out we leave him in the kitchen as he is 2 and a half years old now so he doesn't chew anything.. he has accidents now and again but he is normally very good.. if she is in your room at night then you might be alright trusting her out of her crate.. through the day whilst your out you could just try it see how she goes make sure she has lots of toys to chew on in case she gets bored.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has always slept in a dog bed. When we started leaving him at home alone we closed the bedroom doors until he was a year or so but now he can go into all rooms. He's always slept most of the time we're not at home (or so we think...), but had he been a chewer, we would have closed off some rooms and kept him in the kitchen plus hallway.

We've never crated him - in fact, it's illegal in Sweden to crate dogs on a regular basis (they are only allowed at shows, for transport, etc.).

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks everyone - She has a play pen which she's goes in when we are out but now she's one I'd like to start trusting her to have that little bit more freedom I forgot to lock the door on her pen when I went out for the day once when she was about ten months & when our pet sitter arrived at lunch time her found her chilling on the sofa she hadn't chewed anything so I think she can be trusted but I worry it could just be a one off.

Juststrokeit383

May 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
With our Harley it started with short trips.. If she was asleep and I had to go somewhere I would leave her out and shut doors to the bathrooms so she can't get in the trash or toilets.. When I would return home she would be sleeping in the exact same spot I left.. So the time would get longer each time I left her out..
I did find that when I leave her out during my 12 hour work shift.. She gets bored.. Hahaha.. I have came home to a couple things with new teeth marks..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours still sleep in their crates at night, except Hilary sometimes sleeps in the living room. We also crate them when we are gone to keep them out of mischief, except for Hazel, because she doesn't get into anything. They are safer in their crates when you are not at home.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
ELMO IS LEFT OUT AT NIGHT, WE LEAVE HIS CRATE DOOR OPEN AND HE CAN GO IN AND OUT IF HE WANTS. WHEN WE GO OFF HE IS CRATED, HE WOULD GET INTO ALOT OF TROUBLE IF WE ARE NOT AT HOME TO SUPERVISE HIM. MY BIG BULLY ELMO BOY, WHO I JUST LOVE SO-OO-OO-OO VERY VERY MUCH.

Feb 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
We recently started to let Charley sleep outside the crate (he turned 1 in January). We gated up the kitchen where his crate is so he has free roam of the kitchen with his toys, lounge bed, etc. He's done really well, however he has had a few accidents if we don't take him out right before bed and first thing in the morning. I've also noticed he goes in his crate to sleep anyway! I thought maybe he would prefer the lounge bed or the cold tile floor by his box fan (it's getting warm here in NJ), but every morning he comes out of his crate when I come downstairs. We got him a crate cabana cover and he really likes it! Since he goes in his crate to sleep anyway at night, we've started closing the door again to prevent accidents; he won't go in his crate!

Good luck!

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
We don't crate Taco. I guess we were lucky, we dont even own one. He only chews his toy, and he has free reign in all bedrooms and furniture. In the car he either rides co, or back seat. My wife comes home on her lunches, which probably helps, but even when she didn't, he was still alright. I understand this is the exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.