Vader The Bully

Mar 20, 2015
Chino Hills, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darth Vader
Hi friends :)

I had a question regarding my fathead. You'd think we'd be thankful his biting and chomping have stopped, and that he seems to have replaced it with licking, but it does bring up some questions for me. I mean he licks EVERYTHING. I can't really tell if it's just who he is or if there's a deeper underlying issue. Here's some deets for you all:

We recently switched him off of Blue Buffalo to Orijen Puppy (This seemed to solve his initial diarrhea/vomiting issue, so we figure it was a food thing all along.)

We've been doing a slow transition off of the bland diet he was on (chicken/rice) and at this point he's at 1/2 cup kibble, 1/4 cup chicken, 1/4 cup rice.

He licks anything and everything he can get his little tongue on. I haven't seen him really lick his paws or anything, but legs, toes, necks, tables, chair legs, metal lamp posts, metal table legs, I mean EVERYTHING. Based on my research, I read this could mean allergies or worse, bloat. (Which scares me.)

He's had some hacking/burping/coughing-ish moments which sort of concern me, but again, I'm not sure if that's just normal bully behavior.

From what I can tell, he's not showing any other signs of any problems. He eats and drinks normally, plays like the monster that he is, never seems lethargic or anything. He seems to be getting lazier, but I figured that was just his bulldog ways finally starting to show ;) When we play or go for walks, he's as active as ever.

Thanks in advance. You guys always rock :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi friends :)

I had a question regarding my fathead. You'd think we'd be thankful his biting and chomping have stopped, and that he seems to have replaced it with licking, but it does bring up some questions for me. I mean he licks EVERYTHING. I can't really tell if it's just who he is or if there's a deeper underlying issue. Here's some deets for you all:

We recently switched him off of Blue Buffalo to Orijen Puppy (This seemed to solve his initial diarrhea/vomiting issue, so we figure it was a food thing all along.)

We've been doing a slow transition off of the bland diet he was on (chicken/rice) and at this point he's at 1/2 cup kibble, 1/4 cup chicken, 1/4 cup rice.

He licks anything and everything he can get his little tongue on. I haven't seen him really lick his paws or anything, but legs, toes, necks, tables, chair legs, metal lamp posts, metal table legs, I mean EVERYTHING. Based on my research, I read this could mean allergies or worse, bloat. (Which scares me.)

He's had some hacking/burping/coughing-ish moments which sort of concern me, but again, I'm not sure if that's just normal bully behavior.

From what I can tell, he's not showing any other signs of any problems. He eats and drinks normally, plays like the monster that he is, never seems lethargic or anything. He seems to be getting lazier, but I figured that was just his bulldog ways finally starting to show ;) When we play or go for walks, he's as active as ever.

Thanks in advance. You guys always rock :)

My Tyson licks too. He will lick us all the time, our legs, feet, arms, whatever he can get too. Especially right out of the shower. He'll also lick the bed or couch, as he's trying to get comfy. I always redirect him when he does it. It could just be a phase for him, wouldn't worry too much, but do try to redirect him when he does it on random things like furniture, etc. If its you, then I say "he's giving you kisses, lol"

Bloat is usually a pretty obvious sign - their bellies will get hard & distended (as its swelling), and they will be very anxious or pacey. Look for signs of drooling, and always check gums. The color of their gums will tell you if something is wrong. If you notice very pale or almost grey gums - ER vet right away. They should always be a nice pink color.

The hacking/burping, is that right after he eats? Or just randomly?

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Same with Logan & Brett...well there's some days they don't. I just keep telling them no and they would stop eventually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
could be anything causing it, have you ever considered fromms?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you given any antacids before his meal? Wondering if it is just indigestion.... does he eat fast?

OP
Vader The Bully

Vader The Bully

Mar 20, 2015
Chino Hills, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darth Vader
Yeah he burps after eating because he's like a little piggy. The hacking is more random, and hasn't really happened today. But when it does it's almost like he's trying to clear his throat.

Like I said, I don't really mind the licking myself. I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't like it too much so we'll have to try to ease him back on that I guess.

As far as antacids, no, we haven't. Are just regular Tums safe for them? He does eat fast, he tends to want to scarf it down. So we raised his bowl and I throw in his football toy so he has to work around it which slowed him down quite a bit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pepcid 10 mg pill before his meal

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus will lick your legs as long as you let him....gross but also kind of endearing. Bullies can be a little ocd sometimes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online