How Do You Know Your Bulldog is allergic To Their Dog Food?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I am very new with owning a bulldog. Currently , I have Porkchop on Taste of The Wild. I had her eating salmon for a year. I decided to rotate with favors we tried Bison that seems to be the favorite and she's eating fowl now.

I am just curious what signs or symptoms do I need to look if any allergy comes about.

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Overly pink face, red/pink paws... paw licking or scratching, ear infections, yeasty folds... that a few i can think of

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm just going to throw vomiting and or diarrhea into the mix, otherwise Christine has you covered.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, there are many allergy symptoms that they can get, they don't always get all, and they may show different symptoms for food allergies than they do for environmental allergies. My guys are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains.
Blossom's symptoms were pink skin, warm pink ears, chin acne, goopy eyes, excessive paw licking and itchy skin.
Bulldozer's symptoms were excessive licking ( which is a sign that they are itchy, dogs will lick when they feel itchy), he had soft serve poops, and frequent bowel movements, goopy runny eyes, he would shed excessively, and he also had hives.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Overly pink face, red/pink paws... paw licking or scratching, ear infections, yeasty folds... that a few i can think of
Paw licking isn't that a normal thing? Or is there a certain paw licking to identify the allergy?

I took her to the vet for ear infections I didn't ask if it's related to her food. Didn't know this info AF the time.

Thank you for sharing

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Paw licking isn't that a normal thing? Or is there a certain paw licking to identify the allergy?

I took her to the vet for ear infections I didn't ask if it's related to her food. Didn't know this info AF the time.

Thank you for sharing

Hi, paw licking is a sign of allergies, as dogs usually lick their paws because they are itchy. Some ear infections like yeasty ears can be caused from a food allergy as well.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Excessive paw licking can be a sign of allergies. If it is a few licks and then they stop it is probably just cleaning themselves. Mine is allergic to way too many things list including our tap water. Her symptoms are butt dragging, hives, dark pink to blood red skin, eye gunk, excessive shedding and way higher amount of scratching than normal. Oh and she will smell like a nasty heap of garbage as well.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I bought Belle a new kind of food and didn't realize it had grain, which she is allergic to. She developed bare spots, itched a lot, and would drag her face all over the carpet after a meal. Since swapping to a grain free flavor all of those symptoms have gone away.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thank you for sharing

Sorry should have stated excessive paw licking.... Also, most vets will not be fully aware of food issues, they tend to not know about nutritional problems as they are more focused on the medical end of pet care. Not putting them down, it just is where they need to focus

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry should have stated excessive paw licking.... Also, most vets will not be fully aware of food issues, they tend to not know about nutritional problems as they are more focused on the medical end of pet care. Not putting them down, it just is where they need to focus
Thank you for clarifying the paw licking. No wonder they said ear infection to me. They prescribed her with loads of meds.

I was thinking about switching food to help keep her figure. She's 65 lbs any thinner she will be too thin. She's big bone frame. I wasn't sure how to switch brands in case she gets an allergy. The mom's and pop store know me and Pork chop. One brand they recommended was Natural balance. I am a bit scared to make a transition.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for clarifying the paw licking. No wonder they said ear infection to me. They prescribed her with loads of meds.

I was thinking about switching food to help keep her figure. She's 65 lbs any thinner she will be too thin. She's big bone frame. I wasn't sure how to switch brands in case she gets an allergy. The mom's and pop store know me and Pork chop. One brand they recommended was Natural balance. I am a bit scared to make a transition.

You can keep her on her kibble just cut back like a 1/4 cup of kibble and add a 1/4 of green beans to help her maintain her weight

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My girl goes through pretty much the same thing with hair loss or red face and eyes and dragging butt but not so much licking paws. She does get yeast above her nose rope though.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My girl goes through pretty much the same thing with hair loss or red face and eyes and dragging butt but not so much licking paws. She does get yeast above her nose rope though.

see if your food has white potato... that can add to yeast issues (starch)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.