Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Quick question...
Hubby and I were gone for several weeks on vacation, and had a family member watch Koozer. While we were gone, Koozer got a mild infection in his tail pocket. The vet gave my family member Chloro. wipes to use daily. Keep in mind, we have duoxo pads that we use occasionally, but mostly use the witch hazel for booty duty. When we came home, and tried to use the Duoxo pads, Koozer was not having any of it...he was running away, hiding his butt, and almost became aggressive. We figured he just had some residual pain. It has now been a couple of weeks, and he still won't let us near him with the duoxo/chloro. wipes. We can touch and manipulate his tail and pocket and I see no redness or signs of infection. He is acting fine. My thought is that he has a mental reaction to the smell of the duoxo/Chlorohexidine wipes. The smell maybe brings memories of pain and burning from when he had the infection? Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas? I don't think he needs a vet visit, because he's not going after his butt, it looks fine, and we can touch it without a duoxo pad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried to clean with witch hazel on a cotton pad or wipe? does he have the same or any reaction when you have something in your hand as oppose to you just touching the tail or bum area?

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
That is a good question..those chloro wipes stink to high heaven. I use them on my guys occasionally but mostly duoxo pads. I can't imagine why he won't let you near the area now though with no visible signs of infection or pain.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus also hates the way malaket wipes smell. He'll run from me to avoid having the smell on him I think. The active ingredient in duoxo wipes is chlorexidine I think, so not sure why your guy notices a difference. I bought bottles of chlorexidine and dilute it to clean ruckus's tail -- it has no smell.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls don't like those wipes either but they love noxema medicated pads so that's what we use.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
chlorhexidine comes in a variety of phases...the douxo wipes, but also in liquid form (from my vet) that smells awesome...sweet kind of like a hand lotion smell.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thanks everyone for the input. I totally think it's the smell that he is freaking out about. I will definitely look into the better smelling forms as opposed to the duoxo pads. He's good with the witch hazel wipes, but occasionally he needs the medicated stuff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.