TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
I have a English bulldog she is 17 months, she's white with brindle, she has had allergies, she was eating royal canine bulldog food, so I had did some reading and had some advice to switch her food, so now she's on wellness simply, and same with all treats. She still has allergies, she take medicine from are vet for her allergies, helps a little but not enough. So I took her to the vet Monday and she has ear infection so she has ear drops, also vet did a skin scrap to check for mites, no mites found, so her face is red and she rubs it on the carpet, I try to keep it clean and put cream on it. I feel really bad for her, and I feel like nothing I do helps her, I know everyone around me gets sick of hearing me talk about her, I don't feel that she a dog, she is my baby and I want her to be happy, health and not inch every chance she gets. I buy expensive shampoos, to expensive medicine, to expensive foods, I have to breeders that have puppies for sale,that tell me there bulldog has no allergies and they feed them cheap food and some are even out side in dog pens. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.Thank you for listening..

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sounds like environmental and/or food allergies. A lot of bullies have them mine included. What are the first couple of ingredients in the food you are feeding? The reason for the ask is that on dog food ingredient lists the higher up the list something is the more of it there is in the food compared to the other ingredients. Also, a lot of bullies are allergic to chicken, fish, grains and meals and byproducts of them as well.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullies have a massive range of allergic reactions to things, finding it is the key. Check the protein source on the wellness you're feeding her now and try a different protein. So if it's chicken (which most bulldogs have a problem with) then try beef and if there isn't any improvement move to the next one. Also go grain free if possible, check and see if wellness has a grain free line if you want. This is a link to top rated bully foods on here English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

The key is patience because it will take up to 3 weeks until you will see any improvement. It will work out in the end though, good luck!!

OP
T

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
wellness is limited ingredient diet, no by products, wheat, corn, soy dairy,egg, artificial colors, it has deboned turkey, potatoes, peas, dried ground potatoes, tomato pomace,ground flaxseed, canola oil, natural turkey flavor, I don't see anything bad in this food, she eats carot sticks, green beans,,

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I can really feel your love for your bulldog and your worry for her.
Good news!...you're now a member of EBN, a place with great articles,
wonderful, caring people and a whole lotta HELP.

Take her off all treats, you have to simplify her possible allergy triggers
right now. What is in your Wellness kibble & how long has she been on it?
What med is she taking? Give us more info so we can help but we will help.
Also, I'll be praying for her and you too...HUGS!!!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
wellness is limited ingredient diet, no by products, wheat, corn, soy dairy,egg, artificial colors, it has deboned turkey, potatoes, peas, dried ground potatoes, tomato pomace,ground flaxseed, canola oil, natural turkey flavor, I don't see anything bad in this food, she eats carot sticks, green beans,,

Could be the Potato and could be the Turkey.

Some bullies can't tolerate ANY poultry.

Put her on a bland diet of hamburger (boiled & drained well)
with white rice, you can add green beans (drained) but no
carrots right now. Also, no treats right now. Do this about a
month and see if she is better. Keep us informed.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She could be allergic to Turkey, Carol is totally correct about the potato too and I would put her on the bland like she says.

OP
T

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
Wellness simply, Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Potatoes, Peas, Dried Ground Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Turkey Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

OP
T

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
She is on atarax/hydroxyzine 50 mg, for allergies. WellBars® crunchy natural dog treats are oven-baked using wholesome ingredients. Snack time or anytime, WellBars are a natural complement to a healthy diet.Ground Barley, Cane Molasses, Ground Brown Rice, Natural Peanut Butter, Chicken Liver, Peanuts, Honey, Oatmeal, Flaxseed, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Beta-Carotene.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Trina, these contain lots of ingredients and many known to cause issues.
Just because it says 'natural' or 'wholesome' etc, does not mean an allergy
prone dog won't react to it.

Take it down to the bland diet, no treats or extras and try a month then
see what results she has, then decide next step.

That was a lot of work in those posts :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Poultry, potatoes, grains and some times peas are things bullies tend to be allergic to. I agree with the others and would take it back to a bland diet and go from there. It will take a lot of time to figure out what it is but we are here to help as many of us have been through it or are still going through it. There are a wide range of ways you can go about so just ask away and we will do our best to help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered.... drop all the treats and food and place her on a bland diet for about a month... then start to introduce a chicken free and grain free food.

Best of luck --- ask away any question someone here can help

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you have been given great advice from everyone, I agree it's probably the turkey and the potatoes and also the treats.
My guys are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains, I have switched their food 4 times before I found one that they both tolerated. It really is just trial and error until you find one. We are currently feeding them Fromm's Lamb and Lentil grain Free. I also agree with everyone's suggestions of going to a basic bland diet and giving her system time to settle down, and then reintroducing a grain and chicken free kibble. I also stay away from most store bought treats, as they contain too many additives, preservatives and chemicals. I like the Fruitables, and Benny Bullies as they are all natural and have very limited ingredients. The Benny Bullies are just freeze dried liver. I also give my guys 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble everyday for the Probiotics, which is good for their digestion and for boosting the immune system, which helps with allergy symptoms.

OP
T

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
What is a bland diet? should I do hamburger and rice or vegables? I don't really want to do chicken,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.