Need some input

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
So my Rocco as environmental allergies and our vet recommends doing shots I guess they formulate small dosage of what he's allergic to inject him and hopefully we become immune to it ,but this is only 50% chance 50% chance he doesn't react to it and a 50 percent chance in does. Obviously nothing is a hundred percent guaranteed. I did go to another vet today Dr butcko. And they said the same thing its either I go the route of injections or just trying to make him comfortable by giving him some sort of steroid but I don't want to give him steroids anymore I don't know what it is I just can't come around to doing injection. Still doing my research and looking to see if there's any natural way. I'm doing everything that I can at home wiping him down with his paws. he seems okay now it's just one summer hits I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Any advice would help thank you sorry so long
4c2488357d6897fbde5b1d7f1ccae943.jpg
thats my Rocco

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Our Chumly really suffered form environmental allergies. I gave him the injections every week and it was the best thing we could have done for him. We had done the shampoos, sprays, antihistamines, Atopica and of course steroids. I would say he improved by a good 90 - 95%. He would still have flare-ups a couple of times a year during pollen season etc. and get the occasional yeast infection but we kept them under control with meds. It is not cheap but worth every penny for the difference it made in his quality of life. I would do it again in a second. I give credit to his Dermatologist Vet, she was great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a sweet picture.... My girl had bad allergies too.. The shots did not work and i refused steroids too... I used Benedryl to lessen impact and as you did... Wiping after being out. Have you asked about apoquel? [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]. And @ nycbullymama are using that fir their boys

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
So my Rocco as environmental allergies and our vet recommends doing shots I guess they formulate small dosage of what he's allergic to inject him and hopefully we become immune to it ,but this is only 50% chance 50% chance he doesn't react to it and a 50 percent chance in does. Obviously nothing is a hundred percent guaranteed. I did go to another vet today Dr butcko. And they said the same thing its either I go the route of injections or just trying to make him comfortable by giving him some sort of steroid but I don't want to give him steroids anymore I don't know what it is I just can't come around to doing injection. Still doing my research and looking to see if there's any natural way. I'm doing everything that I can at home wiping him down with his paws. he seems okay now it's just one summer hits I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Any advice would help thank you sorry so long
thats my Rocco

We rescued two bulldogs a while ago and one of them had really bad skin conditions and allergies, we went to the vet and she was put on a course of antibiotics which worked a treat and you could see the difference straight away, but her legs were in a mess as she wasn't looked after properly, after a while on the antibiotics we stopped seeing a difference and it just stayed the same, when we went to the vets on another occasion we saw another vet and he recommended the injections, she had a injection every fortnight for about 6 weeks and the results were amazing, it was the best thing we could of done, her legs cleared up and her fur grew back, the way she was before you would never be able to tell now.. I would highly recommend but its your choice.. I hope he gets better soon! :)

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] they did tell me about apoquel. I just had never heard of it. I didnt want to give him somthing i havent done resruch on. I asked if it wasn't antibiotics for a steroid and they said neither so I was confused on what it was now I wish I would have got it but I know I feel we should go back and get it.

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] is he stil on the shots?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] they did tell me about apoquel. I just had never heard of it. I didnt want to give him somthing i havent done resruch on. I asked if it wasn't antibiotics for a steroid and they said neither so I was confused on what it was now I wish I would have got it but I know I feel we should go back and get it.

Those using it are having great results

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] is he stil on the shots?

Our beloved boy died last August from CHF. He was on them for a total of 6 years. 2 in the UK which was a complete waste of time and money and he was still on Atopica and the occasional series of steroids as well. They only tested for grasses. We had him tested again as soon as we got here and found he was allergic to 13 things including wool and cats! What a difference! No more scratching day and night and red raw skin.

blazincfd

Jun 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Checkers
thats my Rocco

We started with the shots and it was traumatic for us as well as Checkers. What I did find on the provider of the serum that they make drops. I suggested to our vet that we try the drops. You just put a drop of the serum in the sheek or on his gum He said that he had not thought or even knew that it was an option. Checkers would run when he would see the bottle of drops. We think he was thinking it was shot time again. So I ended up putting the drop on my finger and he would lick it off. It takes about 3 months for it to work regardless if it the shots or drops. We also found that if we did the drops in the later winter months before allergy season start. it was better. His immune system had a chance to build up. Also we put Checkers in an Epsom salt bath just for his feet. 6 inches of water in the tub. A cup of Epsom salt and have him stand, walk etc in it for about 10. Stops the licked for about a 4-5 days.

blazincfd

Jun 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Checkers
I am assuming you had him allergy tested for food as well as environment? The first 2 years we just did food. Then we did environment. He is allergic to most trees and bermuda grass, dust mites. Your Rocco looks like a real sweety.

blazincfd

Jun 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Checkers
Do your research on the Apoquel. It is a miracle drug but it is very hard to get. It also suppresses the immune system. So if an operation is needed and an infection sets it will be very difficult for your dog as well as your vet to fight it with antibiotics. Also it may cause cancerous tumors in your dog. We use Epsom salt baths on feet. Bathing at least once a month sometimes twice in summer months. Cortisone 10 cream for ears to relieve the itching and numb them to put the medicine in. Benadryl at night

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
My Bodie has severe environmental and food allergies also. He has sensitivities to: grass, dust mites, storage mites, pollen, molds, latex, fragranced candles and air fresheners, and a slight sensitivity to cotton. For foods: All Fish, Turkey, carrots, duck rye, gluten gum paste, grains, corn/maize, and cows milk. We tried the Atopica, it didn't work and it has a 98%success rate vs. the immunotherapy injections that has the 50% success rate. Out vet has told us that at this point she doesn't think the immunotherapy would help and even if it did help to build immunity towards the list of things he's already sensitive to, there's a big percentage that he'll then become allergic to something else. We've been on the Apoquel for about a year now, it has NOT been the "Miracle Drug" that I hear other people say it has been for their dogs, but it has cut down on his itchiness and his comfort level to where he's not miserable all the time. And that's why we continue to give it to him. We figured if it have him any relief at all then it's worth it, because without it, he's an unhappy, miserable, itchy baby. We have had the issues with it being on backorder over the last year, but I've been told that it's now becoming more available, slowly! As far as what [MENTION=14291]blazincfd[/MENTION] stated about Apoquel supressing the immune system, this is the 1st I've heard of that. It doesn't contain any type of steroid, it is the ONLY drug of it's kind, it is supposed to inhibit the "itch receptors" in the brain to fool the immune system to thinking there's no issue. (don't quote, my medical lingo is not 100%) and I've never been told of it causing cancerous tumors, that's something I'll have to research myself. But with Bodie, any side effects are GREATLY out weighed by the benefits. Its all in what your dogs needs are. Like I stated before, it hasn't been a miracle drug for us, it has helped, but it has been a miracle drug for many dogs, so it's definitely worth checking into!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Apoquel does suppress the immune system hence the fear of infections from some vets. But it's not considered a steroid, even though it does have a steroid type of component.

Honestly, I love it. Like [MENTION=11156]BodiesMom[/MENTION] the itch isn't 100% gone, but it's bearable. Neither dog is scratching themselves red or bloody, and the paw licking is under control now so I'm able to apply meds. without
them licking it off. Blue's swollen pink paws (almost became cysts) are no longer swollen or very pink. That's huge for us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online