Winslow Rant!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Gah, just need to get this out.. what a horrible mess that was.
I don't even know what got into him, but at the end of our walk in the yard (open and big, we have a shared yard in our aparment complex), Winslow went berserk! Not wanting to cooperate, doing his growling and rolling over so that I either drag him or comply. He actually made it out of his collar (which I use for quick routine poop walks, he better like using his harness from now on) and dodged my every attempt to get it back on, with ferocity. There were kids outside, it was getting dark, and he made it clear that my options were limited. It was either hope he didn't bolt, or drag him all the way home. And so i did. :( :( :(

I feel SO awful but i didn't know what else i could do!! Would he run? Would he go after our neighbor kids? He sure as hell made it clear he would not walk back! This is so not like him, especially after a trip to the dog park and a ton of play at home today.

I'm really scared that i hurt him. He's acting okay now, aside from knowing he's being ignored. I just don't know what set him off, and i really hope i don't ever see this again. :(

Bluuhfhdshsk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winslow! Did you really do that?! Maybe it was just a mood! But it's GOOD that you dragged him all the way home, because you won that struggle. I'm sure you didn't hurt him and he's probably already over it. Would that be a temper tantrum?

MickeysMummy

May 17, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey Wicket
I can completely sympathize where youre coming from. Sometimes Mickey goes nuts when we go for our routine outside advetures and it takes the national guard to get him back in. Or a hard tug on the lead which leaves me dragging him back to the house. ( which mind you isnt far but im sure it makes me look like a horrible dog mommy)
Im sure hes doing alright. Maybe even feeling a little embarrassed about being dragged home. Youre a good mommy for standing your ground and not letting his tantrum over take you.
You did the right thing!
:2thumbs::assurred:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Thanks you guys. [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] i call these episodes tantrums all the time haha, but never saw one like this before! Wonder how many neighbors saw that and think i have a psycho dog!
[MENTION=14216]MickeysMummy[/MENTION] glad to know I'm not the only one, though not glad that either of us is in these shoes!

Again, thanks for the reassurance. He's currently snoring on the floor, but i did give in when he rushed into my lap the second i sat down in "our" chair. Can't say no to that. :luv:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Maybe he wanted to play and stay outside for a bit more? They can have some awesome tantrums though, lol. good for you for showing who is the boss.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION]
Ugh, I can so relate to your pain - trust me we have our shares of "dragging home" -- I don't know if you've tried this, but it works for Tyson - when he doesn't wanna move try standing right behind him and nudge his booty with your legs. I have to do this constantly with Tyson on our way back home from our walks. I too think he doesn't wanna go back in, but good lord, I let him be out as much as possible... anyway, everytime I do this, he'll bolt a few steps..... then he'll stop again, and I have to do it again. Allllllll..................................the.........................way........................home. :sneaky2: Gotta love em'

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
If i had been able to get behind him i might have been able to try that, but he was on point with my every move haha. It was like being in a boxing ring or something.

I don't know if i painted the picture well, but the dragging was by his feet. Not sure if you meant you've had to do it that way or with the leash. That happens now and then too but he gets up after a couple of feet and carries on. I will keep the butt nudge in mind, thanks [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] !

Anyway, i will be playing close attention to how I react/give to him. Maybe i was giving in too much and he thought it was a good time to play Boss. Or maybe not and he just had a crazy mood, but it can't hurt to reinforce my position as Boss/Queen/Mom.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... so many of you have experienced this and I know it is common with the spaz-attacks, but I have been lucky that all their spaz attacks happen in the house and not outside during walks :whew:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
BY HIS FEET?? WOW.. that was bad. I feel for you.

Occasionally Wellie has a similar fit but so far, I've always been able to lift him by his harness and drag his butt home. I hate doing it, and I hate people pointing and laughing at us because he won't cooperate.

It's so weird, but I guess they have their own version of "temper tantrums" and we just have to deal with it. Stubborn breed indeed.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
UGH.... so many of you have experienced this and I know it is common with the spaz-attacks, but I have been lucky that all their spaz attacks happen in the house and not outside during walks :whew:

BY HIS FEET?? WOW.. that was bad. I feel for you.

Occasionally Wellie has a similar fit but so far, I've always been able to lift him by his harness and drag his butt home. I hate doing it, and I hate people pointing and laughing at us because he won't cooperate.

It's so weird, but I guess they have their own version of "temper tantrums" and we just have to deal with it. Stubborn breed indeed.
y... yes :ashamed:
I am so embarrassed and just feel mean for it, but I still don't know what else I could have done!

Since he was being a total sweetie and we'd be quick I didn't bother with his harness, and I couldn't get the collar back on his neck!
I'm sorry people make a big deal out of it with Wellie! Funny that somehow when a child throws a similar tantrum nobody's giggling then! I swear I get more flustered with this crap than I did with anything my daughter did haha. maybe I'll be eating those words during the teenage years....

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like a bad case of the terrible twos! I hope for your sake he never does that again either, sometimes they just act liked spoiled brats and I know the feeling that you hope you didn't hurt him. When we go to Petsmart and come up on that last aisle before the grooming area Buster will put the brakes on knowing he's getting his nails done and I have to drag him and ALWAYS there's some jokester with some stupid comment watching me. It really is embarrassing.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] Ugh that sucks!

Well he's been okay today, thank goodness!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online