MickeysMummy

May 17, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey Wicket
Our 13 month old English Bully has... A broken bark!:eek:
As I said in my welcome, Mickey was a rescue. He lived outside so we're working on potty training his sweet little self.
He's good about not having accidents if I bring him out every two or three hours but sometimes he has to go NOW! And can't tell me, because he doesn't " speak."

How can i encourage him to talk to mama?? I want to hear his little voice when he needs something.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I have to be honest this is the FIRST I've heard of this… I will tag some other members. Will he bark for a treat?!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Our 13 month old English Bully has... A broken bark!:eek:
As I said in my welcome, Mickey was a rescue. He lived outside so we're working on potty training his sweet little self.
He's good about not having accidents if I bring him out every two or three hours but sometimes he has to go NOW! And can't tell me, because he doesn't " speak."

How can i encourage him to talk to mama?? I want to hear his little voice when he needs something.
View attachment 87295

My Tyson doesn't really bark either. I mean, he will if someone knocks or rings door bell. But that's about it. How about putting some bells on the door and teaching him to go touch them when he needs to go out?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus only barks because my Labs taught him to when he was a puppy. Frankie isn't a barker unless he hears the garbage truck or ice cream man coming. If he needs something, he will talk to us. It kinda sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars. I would try the bell by the door for potty like Jessica said.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have a bell at the door, and my youngest one will hit the bell,when she wants to go out. One will just take a swipe at the door, and the others just sit and stare at me! Each time you take him out-just before you open the door-hit the bells. I think eventually the dog will catch on!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not many will bark when they need to go out. Ours will usually just stand by the door. As others have said, some people will train with a bell.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie barks a lot, but never when she needs to go out:(. We tried the bells, but she never took to them. Today we are having a doggie door installed. It's getting too hot here to leave the door open a crack!

You just recently adopted Mickey, right? I have noticed that most dogs need time to settle in to a new home before they start barking. Give him a little time and he may bark a little more.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Brutus only barks because my Labs taught him to when he was a puppy. Frankie isn't a barker unless he hears the garbage truck or ice cream man coming. If he needs something, he will talk to us. It kinda sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars. I would try the bell by the door for potty like Jessica said.

That's it, exactly!!! I have been trying to figure out what it sounds like. Monty only does it occasionally, normally he is pretty quiet, well, except for the vacuum cleaner and steam mop then all hell breaks loose!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
That's it, exactly!!! I have been trying to figure out what it sounds like. Monty only does it occasionally, normally he is pretty quiet, well, except for the vacuum cleaner and steam mop then all hell breaks loose!

I love when they "talk"! It cracks us up!! Frankie is also the same way with the vacuum and steam mop!! You can also add the washer and dryer. I have stackable front loaders in my kitchen and god forbid they shake a little, Frankie thinks they are transformers trying to kill the family, and looses his mind. I find him jumping and barking like mad at them!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I love when they "talk"! It cracks us up!! Frankie is also the same way with the vacuum and steam mop!! You can also add the washer and dryer. I have stackable front loaders in my kitchen and god forbid they shake a little, Frankie thinks they are transformers trying to kill the family, and looses his mind. I find him jumping and barking like mad at them!

:ROFL::ROFL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our Frenchie only barks when he is playing... otherwise, he sits at the top of the basement stairs to tell us he has to go. Now, our puppy, Lambeau does the same thing -- so we have to keep them on a good schedule and watch for the statue at the stairs

OP
MickeysMummy

MickeysMummy

May 17, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey Wicket
He will only bark if he thinks there is a threat to the children, like someone walking by them playing. I've tried a hundred different ways to encourage some talking but nothing works.

OP
MickeysMummy

MickeysMummy

May 17, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey Wicket
Winnie barks a lot, but never when she needs to go out:(. We tried the bells, but she never took to them. Today we are having a doggie door installed. It's getting too hot here to leave the door open a crack!

You just recently adopted Mickey, right? I have noticed that most dogs need time to settle in to a new home before they start barking. Give him a little time and he may bark a little more.

We've had him about two months now. He must be settling in slowly, as he wont even venture to the hallway or up the stairs to our rooms.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He will only bark if he thinks there is a threat to the children, like someone walking by them playing. I've tried a hundred different ways to encourage some talking but nothing works.

Coming from someone who had a mouthy beeotchy girl for 9 yrs (love the hell out of her)... quite is so much nicer. Banks barked at everything and anything, even us if we moved and she did not want us too -- grumble, gumble, bark, bark (get back in your seat,,, is what it meant)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Our Frenchie only barks when he is playing... otherwise, he sits at the top of the basement stairs to tell us he has to go. Now, our puppy, Lambeau does the same thing -- so we have to keep them on a good schedule and watch for the statue at the stairs

Bella also does the statue at the stairs for potty time.

She rarely barks, but when she does, she means it. LOL!

She doesn't even bark when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door. She just jumps up and runs to the door. She will give a couple of low gruff barks if she hears something on the deck. I also heard her bark when an ice chip unexpectedly fell from the fridge ice dispenser. The thing that will most likely make her bark is if another dog is wildly barking, as was the situation in puppy class.

I'm happy my girl is very quiet. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online