Switching food

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello~ I am going to start the "switch" from Iams to Fromm but I'm not sure how to exactly go about it. I feed Lola 1/2 a cup twice a day (at 8 and 12) and then a 1/4 cup for dinner (at 4). How much of the Iams -vs- the Formm do I use at each feeding? Any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would go about it like this:

Day one to three: 1/8 cup Fromm and 1/3 cup Iams for the two feedings, and the last feeding do 1/8 c of each. Do this for about 3 days.

Day four and five: 1/4c of each for the two early feedings, then 1/8 c each for the late feeding

Day 6-7 (or until you run out of Iams): 1/8 c Iams and 1/3 cup Fromm for the two feedings, and then just Fromm for the evening feeding.

Once you are out of Iams you puppy will be bigger I am sure and need more food. So slowly increase the amount of Fromm as she grows. When she is a 'teenager' (about 6-10 months) you can give about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups twice a day, and once she reaches age one you can start to decrease her intake depending on her weight and activity. My girls get 3/4 cup twice a day (the ones over a year) and the pups get 1 cup twice a day now that they are almost 1 year old. But they also get many treats and such throughout the day too.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Awesome! Thank you so much for the help! So, she doesn't have that much Iams left so do you think that'd be a problem? She has a really sensitive stomach so I don't want her to get sick or anything. The schedule you suggested is over a week...is that enough time for the transition? I thought the transition would be over a month or so? I've never do it so I have no idea what I'm doing. LOl! I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A week is pretty standard, but the longer you go the better. Once you get on really good food you can switch in just a few days. But since you are going from TV Dinners to a night out at the Ritz, you should do it at least over a week. It will take a good month to see what the 'full effects' of the food change are, but you will probably tell a difference in just a few days. Keep us posted on how Lola looks compared to now, and if you can get some before and after pictures that would be great! We can add her story to "Dog food then and now" :up:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
A week should be fine. Fromm's is a great food, good choice

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
When I was reading the Fromm's website it said that their food is interchangable, meaning you can change flavors without having to make it a slow drawn out process. I don't know if that works when you go from grain-free to regular. I was assuming it was just within a certain type of their food.
Although I give Emmitt grain-free for his morning and late afternoon feedlings. He gets regular Fromms at night. He's been doing fine.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Awesome! Thank you guys so much for the needed info! For those of you who are already using Fromm dog food- is there a popular flavor that bully's love? I think someone mentioned the surf and turf flavor...but I can't remember if that was recommened for puppies. It doesn't say "adult dog" on the website, but I just want to be sure I order the right one.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Fromm is an all life stages food so its for dogs of any age. I'd say the surf & turf and beef frittata are most popular formulas choices for EBN members.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] thank you so much for the advice! I think I'm going to get the surf and turf! YAY!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm sure you will notice a big difference in her once you have her transitioned over. Good for you, for changing her to a good quality food.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks @GertiesMom! I hope that she stops shedding so much! I figure that is why she is shedding any way. I thought that Bully's weren't suppose to shed as much! :angry:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
''''I thought that Bully's weren't suppose to shed as much! '''''

I'm not convinced that is true... Gracie sheds quite a bit. She is currently eating Fromm Beef Frittata which is grain free as is Surf and Turf.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.