Bellagirl

May 16, 2015
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I am new to this site but I could really use some help. My poor baby has bad allergies. We have her on the new medicine apaquel but she is still losing fur. She has the scab spots all over her again. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues and if so what kind of dog food do you use. I am feeding her beaver dam grain free, it's the Eli's select. I am so scared to try other brands but I think we need to try something. So if any one has any suggestions I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What is the protein source in the food? Seems that many bullies have problems with chicken. I haven't heard of that food. I use TOTW pacific salmon. Many people here use FROMM's On the Home page is a link to Bulldog Food and Nutrition .

OP
Bellagirl

Bellagirl

May 16, 2015
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It has chicken meal as the first ingredient. I will check out the Fromm. Thank you very much.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Hello and welcome! A lot of bulldog owners use Fromm...just make sure you get a grain free flavor. My girl has allergies too and we use Earthborne Holistic. She does very well on it and her coat is finally shiny with no bald spots. Good luck!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome! I am sorry to hear about Bella's bad allergies. We had to try about four or five different foods before we settled on one that works for Frank and doesn't aggravate his allergies. We feed Fromm 4-Star Game Bird (Frank is one of the few bulldogs who doesn't seem to have a chicken allergy) and Salmon Tunalini. Both are grain free. We have learned that Frank doesn't do well with lamb, so we stay away from that. He also gets two 25mg benedryl in the morning and at night.

I think some members have had allergy tests done on their bulldogs, to pinpoint exactly what they are allergic to. I do know that allergy season seems to be particularly bad right now.

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
We use royal canin bulldog and Dr johns sensitive, we rescued two bulldogs who wasn't in very good condition and had really bad skin conditions and they suffer from this and allergies, my mother had them off of me and they had injections from the vets for the skin conditions, but they are fed james wellbeloved and they look amazing, she has had no problems with them since, if this helps. :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It has chicken meal as the first ingredient. I will check out the Fromm. Thank you very much.

yep, I would def just switch the protein. Since you are already on grain free that's great. When you are looking for another protein, please read the label for the ingredients very closely. You will find that alot of dog foods contain several proteins, and even if the bag is labeled "beef" - when you go read it could also contain chicken. So read the ingredients! Make sure there is no chicken, and see how she does on that. Also, a good medicated bath could help soothe the spots she already has.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

yes, get a new higher quality food.... taste of the Wild, Fromm, Orijen, The Honest Kitchen are a few that many her have suggest with.... try to avoid grains and chicken, they are too big common issues

OP
Bellagirl

Bellagirl

May 16, 2015
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you very much for all your help. We are switching over to taste of the wild pacific. They had a lot of good reviews. Hopefully all goes well with the switch which we will do slowly. I don't see it being a issue cause this bully eats anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.