Bark Bark! How to get your bullog to stop barking?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So, any suggestions on how to get a barker to stop barking? Jesse is a vocal girl, and barks at the slightest noise, or if she is jealous, or just about anything. Any thoughts on how I can tame her vocals?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wish I had an answer for you. Samson is the stereotypical bulldog, only barks if he really has a reason. To get him to stop I just do the Caesar Milan "SCH" sound and he stops. Hope someone else has a better answer!

L

Lucy-licious

I'll be very onterested in everyones answers to this as Lucy is also quite vocal :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We are lucky here too, no suggestions, If Vegas barks it is for a reason, like his OCD and something not being in the right place in our house, other than that really he does not bark. I told you if my hubby puts his lunch cooler on top of the kitchen counter when he gets home Vegas about has a stroke, he has learned to put it in the pantry so Vegas can not see it.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Ida has started barking in the backyard lately. I think it's usually at a leaf blowing or something. But, surprisingly, when I go to the door and yell, "Ida, NO barking!!", she quits.:up:

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I use the pinch collar on Jozi. If she is
doing anything that she isn't suppose to
I give her two quick jerks of the collar.
After awhile she gets the picture. But I
do admit I spend a lot of time just following
her around correcting her.

Once she learns it will be worth it.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Canned air...I'm telling you! :cool:

Truman is a big barker, mostly in his crate, so we're working with some techniques to get him to cut it out and a quick puff of canned air on the hind end is the most effective method to this point.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Is that like the term "blowing smoke up your arse"? Only with air? Orion is a talker. Usually it's back talking...but you know. What's a PITA to do when she has a point to get across?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
No help here.... Princess Gracie is as quiet as a church mouse... except for the snoring and usually that isn't loud. I wonder what Cesar recommends..?? Might be worth a search.. I'll let you know what I find out.

Edit: What about those Stop Barking things they sell on TV????? I see them sold all over the place now.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
That didn't take long. I found an excellent article here: Excessive Barking: A Common Dog Behavior Problem

Here is an excerpt from it:

General principles for controlling undesirable barking

If we want to control barking, we need a dog who can obey us and relax. The dog needs to look to her owner for behavior clues. If we can call her, have her lie down (dogs do not bark as much when lying down) and stay, we are well on the way to solving a nuisance barking problem. In addition, there are some common principles we can use in modifying barking behavior.
First, in most cases shouting "No" is only going to make matters worse since the dog is thinking you are barking too (and is probably happy you joined in).
Be consistent. Pick a one-word command e.g., "Enough" for the behavior you want and always use that word in the same tone of voice. Everyone in the household must use the same command and act identically.
Be patient with your dog and yourself. Changing behavior takes a lot of time, and you need to take it slowly, one step at a time. If you become angry at your dog, the chance to correctly modify the behavior will be gone.
Reward the dog for good behavior. Positive reinforcement is much more powerful than punishment. Physical punishment will do nothing but make your dog fearful of you and break down the bond you wish to have with her. Food treats are fine to use as a reward at first. Often, picking a very special treat like small pieces of cooked chicken or hot dog will make the reward seem even better. As time goes on, you will not give a treat every time, sometimes just rewarding with a "Good Dog" and a pat on the dog's chest.
Do not hug your dog, talk soothingly, or otherwise play into your dog's barking. Your dog may then believe there really was something of which to be alarmed, afraid, or anxious. This reinforces her behavior and she will likely bark even more the next time.
Control the situation. As much as possible, set up situations to use as training. Practice in short, frequent sessions, generally 5-10 minutes each.
Do not be afraid to ask an expert. Animal trainers, behaviorists, and your veterinarian can give you valuable advice. Having them witness your dog's barking episodes may give them valuable clues on helping you solve the barking problem.

Just as an aside... This is from Drs. Foster and Smith whom we have done business with for years with our fish. You may want to check them out.

Beauty

Jan 1, 2012
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Angus barks at me when he wants my attention, which is constantly. I have a spray bottle and have started spraying him and saying "no barking". He seems to like the water but it also gets his attention. Over the last week I have been able to slowly cut down on the sprays and just use the "no barking"

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I don't know if this will help...but ever since any of my dogs were first with me if they barked I got up to go see what was up and gave them a "good dog" pat for letting me know.... I always felt like if I acknowledged whatever it was they were trying to alert me to they wouldn't feel the need to keep telling me... It works for us... We don't have any excessive barking and I know to look for something if they tell me too.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's a boat load of information and suggestions on barking: http://www.cesarsway.com/channel/dog-behavior/barking

Bo is a barker. So far, a tap on his hindquarters to "snap him out of it" works fine. If he's across the yard, I just yell a correction (HEY) and that will at least get him to tone it down to guttural "woofs". More Heys and he'll finally shut up - so my methods aren't working that great. Ugh. My neighbor has a VERY yippy Bichon Mix and I'm determined that my dogs won't bark like many of my neighborhood dogs do. Each one tips the scales way past the dog weight limit here so they need to be "Model Citizens" and set a good example for "big dogs".

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Angus barks at me when he wants my attention, which is constantly. I have a spray bottle and have started spraying him and saying "no barking". He seems to like the water but it also gets his attention. Over the last week I have been able to slowly cut down on the sprays and just use the "no barking"

Our puppy started barking a lot for attention about a week and half ago. By using a spray bottle consistently,as suggested here, we have almost completely got him to stop. Great thing is with a good bottle you can reach 4 or 5 feet so you don't have to be right next to them. Now when he does bark for attention, which is less and less, it almost always just takes a firm "No" to get him to stop. He doesn't whine nearly as much either.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Have you heard of "Through a Dog's Ear?" It's a series of CDs of classical music psychoacoustically designed to soothe and relax dogs. It was recommended by dog trainer Victoria Wells. It's an interesting concept. Google the title to get more info. Good Luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.