Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bark Bark! How to get your bullog to stop barking?

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bark Bark! How to get your bullog to stop barking?

Here's a boat load of information and suggestions on barking: http://www.cesarsway.com/channel/dog-behavior/barking

Bo is a barker. So far, a tap on his hindquarters to "snap him out of it" works fine. If he's across the yard, I just yell a correction (HEY) and that will at least get him to tone it down to guttural "woofs". More Heys and he'll finally shut up - so my methods aren't working that great. Ugh. My neighbor has a VERY yippy Bichon Mix and I'm determined that my dogs won't bark like many of my neighborhood dogs do. Each one tips the scales way past the dog weight limit here so they need to be "Model Citizens" and set a good example for "big dogs".

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty View Post
    Angus barks at me when he wants my attention, which is constantly. I have a spray bottle and have started spraying him and saying "no barking". He seems to like the water but it also gets his attention. Over the last week I have been able to slowly cut down on the sprays and just use the "no barking"
    Our puppy started barking a lot for attention about a week and half ago. By using a spray bottle consistently,as suggested here, we have almost completely got him to stop. Great thing is with a good bottle you can reach 4 or 5 feet so you don't have to be right next to them. Now when he does bark for attention, which is less and less, it almost always just takes a firm "No" to get him to stop. He doesn't whine nearly as much either.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Have you heard of "Through a Dog's Ear?" It's a series of CDs of classical music psychoacoustically designed to soothe and relax dogs. It was recommended by dog trainer Victoria Wells. It's an interesting concept. Google the title to get more info. Good Luck!
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that excerpt @BruceP.

Wilson is a barker too and he's thinks he's quite the watchdog. Sometimes he can be found outside at 2AM barking at whatever he thought he heard. We have a doggy door so he lets himself outside to potty and usually comes right back in.Mainly he barks when he wants our attention whether it be play or he wants up on the bed. I'm starting to ignore him and I give him a firm "quite." He'll keep up with is barking when we ignore him and the sound of it changes from a nice loud "hey I want your attention" bark to soft squeeky "no one's paying attention to me anymore" bark. The last one is pretty funny. I'm not keen on the spray bottle though, to me it has the possibility of making a dog head shy. I never thought to make them lay down though - gonna have to try that.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

Delilah never barks unless the door bell rings or she sees a squirrel..and that's usually just a low "gruff." lol!

For bad behavior with her..and my cats..my family uses a squirt bottle. If the cats jump on the table, they get a squirt. If they start clawing the furniture, squirt. If Delilah chases the cats..squirt. LOL. You get the idea. But anyways, it's really helped curb any problem behavior. I bet it could work for barking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads