Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Default Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

About three months before we purchased Bruno from a breeder, we were looking at the adoption bulldog rescue route. With these dogs being described as a very affectionate and dependable animal and gentle with children. I was surprised to find so many up for adoption that had restrictions no kids, no other dogs, no cats, house with no stairs (I understand this one older dog), etc etc... And on top of that a lot of the adoption places have restrictions that you have to live in the city or area of the adoption center. We found a lot in LA and some places in Florida. We live in upstate New York. We also found a huge waiting lists for dogs under 1 yr.

Just curious why so many Bulldogs end up in the rescue with issues.

2. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

In my opinion, since bulldogs are so popular and "famous" nowadays, people don't take the time to really find out about the breed, they also don't necessarily have the time to take care of a dog, any breed. Dogs and bullies need to be taken care of...training, physical exercising, socializing...etc. They don't come fully trained as pups. Also since they cost a lot, there is a lot of shady people breeding bullies just for the money. They don't care what kind of dogs they breed, health or terperment wise and every generation the breed will go worse instead of better.

4. Likes dolphin, bullmama, TyTysmom, Vikinggirl liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I agree w/RiiSi… also would like to add that bulldogs have health issues, and they can get expensive. People do NOT want to pay for the necessary surgeries, or just to take them to the vet for simple issues like allergies… so in their minds it's just easier to take them to the shelter. Idiots...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

With all the dogs I was seeing up for adoption with issues, the stories of food and toy aggression. It had me rethinking getting a bulldog. But I was able to find a breeder the raises the pups in a family environment. We have the sweetest, gentle well mannered bulldog, that was fairly easy to train. I almost didn't attempt to clicker train Bruno because of all the stubborn Bulldog stories.

-image-jpg

7. Likes dolphin, bullmama, Donnam, ruby liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mb190e View Post
    With all the dogs I was seeing up for adoption with issues, the stories of food and toy aggression. It had me rethinking getting a bulldog. But I was able to find a breeder the raises the pups in a family environment. We have the sweetest, gentle well mannered bulldog, that was fairly easy to train. I almost didn't attempt to clicker train Bruno because of all the stubborn Bulldog stories.

-image-jpg
    Any breed can have aggression issues, but I will agree that bulldogs are STUBBORN!!! Lol I'm lucky that I found a great trainer that actually LOVES the bulldog breed and understands their temperament. I think THIS is important, because if you are dealing w/a trainer that does not LOVE the breed then they will not have the patience to deal w/the attitude and let's face it… bullies have their moments!!! From what I've seen on here, most people give up too easily and do NOT want to take the time & effort to work w/their dog. It's not going to happen overnight unfortunately…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    In my opinion, since bulldogs are so popular and "famous" nowadays, people don't take the time to really find out about the breed, they also don't necessarily have the time to take care of a dog, any breed. Dogs and bullies need to be taken care of...training, physical exercising, socializing...etc. They don't come fully trained as pups. Also since they cost a lot, there is a lot of shady people breeding bullies just for the money. They don't care what kind of dogs they breed, health or terperment wise and every generation the breed will go worse instead of better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I agree w/RiiSi… also would like to add that bulldogs have health issues, and they can get expensive. People do NOT want to pay for the necessary surgeries, or just to take them to the vet for simple issues like allergies… so in their minds it's just easier to take them to the shelter. Idiots...
    great points.... as the majority of the babies in rescue are mostly due to lazy people -- no knowledge, selfish with their time and just want everything to fall in place without actually working with or caring for the pup. Some situations just can not be helped and there are people that do everything in their power to make it work, but it just isn't a good fit and they need the dog to get into the right home environment for them
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

10. Likes dolphin, bullmama, TyTysmom, Donnam, ddnene liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Bulldogs require attention and training, they have serious health issues and some require some serious $$. People dont realize this and buy them because they think they're cute. When they wake up to this they toss them out like everything else.

Adopting a bulldog is a very rewarding experience, everyone should try it once.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Agreed, and that is why it is VERY important to pick a breeder who is doing it for the love of the breed not for the love of money. With a living being you can never say there will be no health problems, but a proper breeder will do everything in their power to better the breed. And there are bulldogs without health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post

13. Likes bullmama, dolphin, Donnam liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Everyone has you covered as far as why Bulldogs end up in rescue. To answer why the restrictions on adoption, Often when you see no small children, it is because the dog has not had proper training and will jump. Bullies are very excited to see their humans and will jump. If not properly trained, this can injury or scare small children and this is a big reason why a lot of dogs end up in shelters. The bottom line is that we live in a society that wants everything yesterday, and people will often rush into what should be a lifelong decision without thinking it through and will just dump these sweet babies without a second thought. It really is shameful. My advice is always to take at least 6mos of straight research and then make a decision.
    My smooshy face boy!

15. Likes bullmama, Vikinggirl, Donnam liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with all posts above. I've been very involved with rescue and volunteer for SCBR. Most rescues just will not adopt out to a home with small children, but others will make exceptions if you are bulldog experienced.

I've had to Rehome some of my puppies even though I interviewed and talked to them for many occasions and I would have never ever thought they would eventually no longer want their bulldog. The puppy grows up and things happen in their life.... Not only just giving up on the bulldog but other things like job change or illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

17. Likes Vikinggirl, dolphin, Donnam, ddnene liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everything everyone before me has said. I do want to add that there are way fewer bully's in rescue than a lot of other breeds. For instance, we have several boxer rescues in North Texas (I love boxers and have always had some in addition to my bullies). One of them is Legacy Boxer Rescue and there are probably ten times as many boxers in that rescue alone as are in our bully rescue group (Lone Star) here. Labs--same thing. It's just heartbreaking. Some of the reasons people ditch their dogs just make me so mad I could spit! Some of the worst? "We're expecting a baby and have to get rid of the dog," and "we're moving and can't take the dog," and "don't have enough time for the dog." Some people should never have dogs (any kind) in the first place! Sorry for the rant.

19. Likes Vikinggirl, bullmama, dolphin, ddnene, ruby liked this post
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I haven't done rescue for bullies but I have years of experience in rescue specifically with Great Danes. They are another breed that is misunderstood and people get them and toss them away mostly because they aren't trained properly from day one. We are talking about a dog that is 6ft + on its hind legs and can reach the top of the refrigerator. Well, to get to my point, when I rehomed I layed restrictions on never rehoming to households with small children or the elderly because of the size of the dog and the fact you never know the entire history of them even after you have worked with them for almost a year even before considering rehoming. Also, the conditiions of the same state for me were just in case it didn't work out the dog was to come back to me and never rehomed again. I would be their forever home at that point. My Danes lived to be 13+ years old and traveled all over the world with me. When you are doing rescue there is always the chance the animal won't work out so you have to be vigilant and make sure you have the ability to step back in if necessary.

21. Likes bullmama, dolphin liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads