Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Am I naive to believe that if a dog has behaviour issues, it's the owners fault??? We've exhausted ourselves at times in the past 10 months for Molly. Like probably most of you, I could write a book on effort we put into her. I feel like she's amazing as a result (Hyper as all get out and I sometimes wonder if the breeder pulled a fast one cause I didn't think even a bulldog puppy could hang like this little nutball). But she's our first puppy. The few incidents we have had with her, I could clearly see my part in it if that makes sense. But maybe she was just easyish?

I don't think all behavioral issues are the owners fault. Not at all.

Blue's toy aggressive. We've been working on it for over a year. He will always be toy aggressive. No amount of training will change that. It's improved (a little) and only when we're constantly on top of him and watching him, but it will never go away.

After his neuter, he also decided he doesn't like intact dogs . We didn't do anything differently, in fact, we've gone out of our way to socialize him since he was a pup.
But now I keep hearing how it's our fault, we didn't train him properly. Uh huh.. it's all us.. everything's our fault.. :rolleyes:

Sure, many things are the owners fault, but I definitely don't think all are.

Oh, and their personalities change once they hit 1.5 -2 years old. That loving pup you once had comes into their own and all bets are off.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I volunteer at the local animal control center and regularly work with people who are giving their dogs up or work with dogs that are very timid. The most common reason for giving up the dogs is due to health issues that they don't want to pay for or because the dog is poorly trained. The majority of the dogs are pitbull mixes along with lots of terriers. It's extremely hard to sit there and listen to these people b@#% about how bad the dog is when really all they need to do is give them a little TLC.

My hats off to you Matt, I cant even imagine what you have to hear.

mugginsmama

Apr 9, 2015
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly Mabella
I don't think all behavioral issues are the owners fault. Not at all.

Blue's toy aggressive. We've been working on it for over a year. He will always be toy aggressive. No amount of training will change that. It's improved (a little) and only when we're constantly on top of him and watching him, but it will never go away.

After his neuter, he also decided he doesn't like intact dogs . We didn't do anything differently, in fact, we've gone out of our way to socialize him since he was a pup.
But now I keep hearing how it's our fault, we didn't train him properly. Uh huh.. it's all us.. everything's our fault.. :rolleyes:

Sure, many things are the owners fault, but I definitely don't think all are.

Oh, and their personalities change once they hit 1.5 -2 years old. That loving pup you once had comes into their own and all bets are off.

See that's some of what I wondered. I feel like we haven't had any big issues...and I wonder if it's just cause of her personality. I also tend to blame myself for everything that might come up. Like she's not very aware of people's personal space and I feel like I let her climb on me cause I love it and that was bad (?).

Omg I love your profile picture!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.