Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I agree with everyone. Life and circumstances change and sometimes rehoming or turning over to a rescue cannot be avoided and is in the best interest of the animal in question. Lack of education to me is not an excuse as there are plenty of avenues you can take upfront to find out all you know.

I spent over 20 years researching and waiting until I was stable enough financially before I got Harlea and I am glad I did as I feel it has made me a better daddy to her. Do I know everything? Oh heck no I learn new things about her every day but I am in it for the long haul and will never give my baby up.

OP
mb190e

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I spent over 20 years researching and waiting until I was stable enough financially before I got Harlea and I am glad I did as I feel it has made me a better daddy to her. Do I know everything? Oh heck no I learn new things about her every day but I am in it for the long haul and will never give my baby up.

We didn't spend quite as long researching, but I wanted a bulldog for a long time. we had a long family discussion for a few months before deciding to make the investment. We currently have a golden retriever that's three years old and we didn't want to wait until something happened to him before getting another dog and right now financially was a good time to get a bulldog and have the funds to support him. There's only a couple people that know what we paid for Bruno sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by how much we spent.

I know this isn't a bulldog but right on cue in our local Facebook garage sale site.

image.jpg

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Love and passion for English Bulldogs started since I was 5 always wanted one. Finally after researching..teaching myself about this breed I decided to go for it at the age of 33. I love them everything about them. Granted I still have so much to learn about this beautiful breed but it's all worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Continuing to learn about our babies is a good thing. I would never claim to know everything, it's too exhausting!! lol I love EBN because I can come on here everyday and learn a new or better way to handle an issue or whatever with my boys! I wish everyone who was considering getting a Bulldog had knowledge of EBN first! Hey, maybe I will rent a plane and advertise!!! Be right back, I have to start a Go Fund Me site!! lol

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We didn't spend quite as long researching, but I wanted a bulldog for a long time. we had a long family discussion for a few months before deciding to make the investment. We currently have a golden retriever that's three years old and we didn't want to wait until something happened to him before getting another dog and right now financially was a good time to get a bulldog and have the funds to support him. There's only a couple people that know what we paid for Bruno sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by how much we spent.

I know this isn't a bulldog but right on cue in our local Facebook garage sale site.

View attachment 87254

Yep, those are the ones that break my heart. Look at that sweet baby. I once saw a female boxer in rescue because she was protective of the new baby. She had never been aggressive to visitors or anything, the parents thought she was overprotective. I wanted to cry--maybe I did cry. I really shouldn't go to those websites.:fie:

Like Todd said, there are certainly times when it's in the best interest of the dog to rehome them. I had to do it once. Before that, I thought nothing could ever make me give up one of my dogs. I had two girls that were going to kill each other. They were both great girls individually, very sweet. But after 6 months and a couple thousand $ paid to trainers, the problem was worse than ever. We just couldn't live that way and it was terrible for the girls. Luckily we found an awesome home for one and didn't have to use a rescue, but thank goodness we have rescues! I will never have that problem again, because I'll never try to have two adult females together again. So now I again think nothing could make me give up one of my dogs!

Monica, you're so right, it's the lack of commitment that's so awful. When you get a dog they're family--till death do us part!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I wanted an english bulldog for a long as I can remember and I was 42 when I thought I was ready....now I'm a few years older and have two and I could never imagine to give them away. Also I don't think my bullies are high maintanance...My boys eat raw food ( I just love mixing their foods, different every day) and they don't have any allergies. The other one has Hyperuricosuria (prone to develope urate bladder stones) and we've had quite a lot to deal with that but it is under control now. We don't have to clean their behinds, wrinkles, ears, eyes or what ever more often than an another breed would have to. If you have a breed with thick heavy coat you have to brush it weekly or a dog with no coat you have to put sun tan lotion on it so it won't burn....You have to take of the dog depending on it's needs. Wolfs are a close cousin to dogs and they can take care of them selves and we want them dead.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The 'no young kids' rule is usually placed on a dog because they have been identified as jumping on people or energetic, and could easily knock down/hurt a child unintentionally. These rescues need to cover every single base if only to protect themselves. It's so incredibly hard to get dogs from a rescue for a reason. They need to make sure the dog is 100% going to the right home and will not be returned to them, or, god forbid, hurt a child and have to be put down. They're protecting themselves as an organization and protecting the dogs as well.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I inherited my female bully from my son - he was too busy to care for her - I adopted my male bully from Lone Star Bulldog Rescue - he was a senior and I only had him for a little over a year, but I fell in love with him from the first time I saw his photo and I will never regret having him - he changed my life forever. I will adopt again, but it will be a while from now - it has only been 2 months since he passed away from cancer and I miss him terribly.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree with everything everyone before me has said. I do want to add that there are way fewer bully's in rescue than a lot of other breeds. For instance, we have several boxer rescues in North Texas (I love boxers and have always had some in addition to my bullies). One of them is Legacy Boxer Rescue and there are probably ten times as many boxers in that rescue alone as are in our bully rescue group (Lone Star) here. Labs--same thing. It's just heartbreaking. Some of the reasons people ditch their dogs just make me so mad I could spit! Some of the worst? "We're expecting a baby and have to get rid of the dog," and "we're moving and can't take the dog," and "don't have enough time for the dog." Some people should never have dogs (any kind) in the first place! Sorry for the rant.

I agree, and it's so heartbreaking I absolutely LOVE boxers!!!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I volunteer at the local animal control center and regularly work with people who are giving their dogs up or work with dogs that are very timid. The most common reason for giving up the dogs is due to health issues that they don't want to pay for or because the dog is poorly trained. The majority of the dogs are pitbull mixes along with lots of terriers. It's extremely hard to sit there and listen to these people b@#% about how bad the dog is when really all they need to do is give them a little TLC.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I cry a little for every dog that is left alone...

mugginsmama

Apr 9, 2015
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly Mabella
Am I naive to believe that if a dog has behaviour issues, it's the owners fault??? We've exhausted ourselves at times in the past 10 months for Molly. Like probably most of you, I could write a book on effort we put into her. I feel like she's amazing as a result (Hyper as all get out and I sometimes wonder if the breeder pulled a fast one cause I didn't think even a bulldog puppy could hang like this little nutball). But she's our first puppy. The few incidents we have had with her, I could clearly see my part in it if that makes sense. But maybe she was just easyish?

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Am I naive to believe that if a dog has behaviour issues, it's the owners fault??? We've exhausted ourselves at times in the past 10 months for Molly. Like probably most of you, I could write a book on effort we put into her. I feel like she's amazing as a result (Hyper as all get out and I sometimes wonder if the breeder pulled a fast one cause I didn't think even a bulldog puppy could hang like this little nutball). But she's our first puppy. The few incidents we have had with her, I could clearly see my part in it if that makes sense. But maybe she was just easyish?

I don't think you're naive at all for thinking that. I feel the exact same way. There are a lot of people who have dogs that just enable the bad behavior and don't even realize their doing it.

Most Reactions