Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
About three months before we purchased Bruno from a breeder, we were looking at the adoption bulldog rescue route. With these dogs being described as a very affectionate and dependable animal and gentle with children. I was surprised to find so many up for adoption that had restrictions no kids, no other dogs, no cats, house with no stairs (I understand this one older dog), etc etc... And on top of that a lot of the adoption places have restrictions that you have to live in the city or area of the adoption center. We found a lot in LA and some places in Florida. We live in upstate New York. We also found a huge waiting lists for dogs under 1 yr.

Just curious why so many Bulldogs end up in the rescue with issues.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion, since bulldogs are so popular and "famous" nowadays, people don't take the time to really find out about the breed, they also don't necessarily have the time to take care of a dog, any breed. Dogs and bullies need to be taken care of...training, physical exercising, socializing...etc. They don't come fully trained as pups. Also since they cost a lot, there is a lot of shady people breeding bullies just for the money. They don't care what kind of dogs they breed, health or terperment wise and every generation the breed will go worse instead of better.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/RiiSi… also would like to add that bulldogs have health issues, and they can get expensive. People do NOT want to pay for the necessary surgeries, or just to take them to the vet for simple issues like allergies… so in their minds it's just easier to take them to the shelter. Idiots...

OP
mb190e

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
With all the dogs I was seeing up for adoption with issues, the stories of food and toy aggression. It had me rethinking getting a bulldog. But I was able to find a breeder the raises the pups in a family environment. We have the sweetest, gentle well mannered bulldog, that was fairly easy to train. I almost didn't attempt to clicker train Bruno because of all the stubborn Bulldog stories.

image.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
With all the dogs I was seeing up for adoption with issues, the stories of food and toy aggression. It had me rethinking getting a bulldog. But I was able to find a breeder the raises the pups in a family environment. We have the sweetest, gentle well mannered bulldog, that was fairly easy to train. I almost didn't attempt to clicker train Bruno because of all the stubborn Bulldog stories.

View attachment 87248

Any breed can have aggression issues, but I will agree that bulldogs are STUBBORN!!! Lol I'm lucky that I found a great trainer that actually LOVES the bulldog breed and understands their temperament. I think THIS is important, because if you are dealing w/a trainer that does not LOVE the breed then they will not have the patience to deal w/the attitude and let's face it… bullies have their moments!!! From what I've seen on here, most people give up too easily and do NOT want to take the time & effort to work w/their dog. It's not going to happen overnight unfortunately…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In my opinion, since bulldogs are so popular and "famous" nowadays, people don't take the time to really find out about the breed, they also don't necessarily have the time to take care of a dog, any breed. Dogs and bullies need to be taken care of...training, physical exercising, socializing...etc. They don't come fully trained as pups. Also since they cost a lot, there is a lot of shady people breeding bullies just for the money. They don't care what kind of dogs they breed, health or terperment wise and every generation the breed will go worse instead of better.

I agree w/RiiSi… also would like to add that bulldogs have health issues, and they can get expensive. People do NOT want to pay for the necessary surgeries, or just to take them to the vet for simple issues like allergies… so in their minds it's just easier to take them to the shelter. Idiots...

great points.... as the majority of the babies in rescue are mostly due to lazy people -- no knowledge, selfish with their time and just want everything to fall in place without actually working with or caring for the pup. Some situations just can not be helped and there are people that do everything in their power to make it work, but it just isn't a good fit and they need the dog to get into the right home environment for them

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldogs require attention and training, they have serious health issues and some require some serious $$. People dont realize this and buy them because they think they're cute. When they wake up to this they toss them out like everything else.

Adopting a bulldog is a very rewarding experience, everyone should try it once.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Agreed, and that is why it is VERY important to pick a breeder who is doing it for the love of the breed not for the love of money. With a living being you can never say there will be no health problems, but a proper breeder will do everything in their power to better the breed. And there are bulldogs without health issues.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Everyone has you covered as far as why Bulldogs end up in rescue. To answer why the restrictions on adoption, Often when you see no small children, it is because the dog has not had proper training and will jump. Bullies are very excited to see their humans and will jump. If not properly trained, this can injury or scare small children and this is a big reason why a lot of dogs end up in shelters. The bottom line is that we live in a society that wants everything yesterday, and people will often rush into what should be a lifelong decision without thinking it through and will just dump these sweet babies without a second thought. It really is shameful. My advice is always to take at least 6mos of straight research and then make a decision.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I totally agree with all posts above. I've been very involved with rescue and volunteer for SCBR. Most rescues just will not adopt out to a home with small children, but others will make exceptions if you are bulldog experienced.

I've had to Rehome some of my puppies even though I interviewed and talked to them for many occasions and I would have never ever thought they would eventually no longer want their bulldog. The puppy grows up and things happen in their life.... Not only just giving up on the bulldog but other things like job change or illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I agree with everything everyone before me has said. I do want to add that there are way fewer bully's in rescue than a lot of other breeds. For instance, we have several boxer rescues in North Texas (I love boxers and have always had some in addition to my bullies). One of them is Legacy Boxer Rescue and there are probably ten times as many boxers in that rescue alone as are in our bully rescue group (Lone Star) here. Labs--same thing. It's just heartbreaking. Some of the reasons people ditch their dogs just make me so mad I could spit! Some of the worst? "We're expecting a baby and have to get rid of the dog," and "we're moving and can't take the dog," and "don't have enough time for the dog." Some people should never have dogs (any kind) in the first place! Sorry for the rant.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I haven't done rescue for bullies but I have years of experience in rescue specifically with Great Danes. They are another breed that is misunderstood and people get them and toss them away mostly because they aren't trained properly from day one. We are talking about a dog that is 6ft + on its hind legs and can reach the top of the refrigerator. Well, to get to my point, when I rehomed I layed restrictions on never rehoming to households with small children or the elderly because of the size of the dog and the fact you never know the entire history of them even after you have worked with them for almost a year even before considering rehoming. Also, the conditiions of the same state for me were just in case it didn't work out the dog was to come back to me and never rehomed again. I would be their forever home at that point. My Danes lived to be 13+ years old and traveled all over the world with me. When you are doing rescue there is always the chance the animal won't work out so you have to be vigilant and make sure you have the ability to step back in if necessary.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I agree with everything everyone before me has said. I do want to add that there are way fewer bully's in rescue than a lot of other breeds. For instance, we have several boxer rescues in North Texas (I love boxers and have always had some in addition to my bullies). One of them is Legacy Boxer Rescue and there are probably ten times as many boxers in that rescue alone as are in our bully rescue group (Lone Star) here. Labs--same thing. It's just heartbreaking. Some of the reasons people ditch their dogs just make me so mad I could spit! Some of the worst? "We're expecting a baby and have to get rid of the dog," and "we're moving and can't take the dog," and "don't have enough time for the dog." Some people should never have dogs (any kind) in the first place! Sorry for the rant.

Yeah, the "we are having a baby one really unnerves me completely!!" Not too long ago while my son was living in an apartment there was a family that had a young Great Dane. Her name was Sadie and she was beautiful. The lady got pregnant and I would see their Dane everyday and I asked if they were prepared to have Sadie and the baby. They told me they would never get rid of Sadie, she was such a good dog. Well, this lady had the baby and then I didn't see Sadie for several days. I asked my son and he told me they got rid of her because of the baby. Get this, they knew I had Great Danes (Lady Hanna lives with my son now) and they took Sadie to another county to an animal shelter just to make sure I didn't find out they put her there. Once I found that out it was on!! I confronted them and told them how worthly they were, I could understand they had a baby but to put that beautiful dog in a shelter when they knew I had experience with the breed and 10 acres for her to roam on and instead of just telling me the truth they dumped her. I told them I wish I could dump them out of humanity. They moved shortly after that and I have never seen them again. Worthless......totally worthless people!!

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone above as well, and Donna had a really good point as well regarding rescues and shelters in general, there are too many dogs in these places due to the fact people don't think about the long term commitment it takes to be a parent to a furbaby. Too many people, buy a dog and once the move,try of the cute puppy phase wears off, they are banished to the backyard, or dropped off at the shelter and they walk away. It's very sad. Other excuses I've seen are I have allergies, ( you didn't know this before?), I don't have time to spend with my dog, ( then why did you buy a dog?),
The dog is aggressive, doesn't listen, or poos/pees in the house ( meaning they didn't take the time to train or socialize their dog). People just don't think when they get a dog, that a dog is a lifetime commitment and a dog is a part of your family, and should be treated as a member of your family. You wouldn't just walk away from a child in your family, so why would you walk away from a helpless animal that you chose and once loved? They are dependant upon you to love and take care of them for their whole life. They don't grow up like a child and become independent, they will always need you. This world has become such a throw away society.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 165

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I agree with every single post here. Simpy put, no one researches the breed prior. They go based off looks or bulldogs being "cool" - if you truly did all your research first there wouldn't be as many as there are. That and irresponsible breeders only looking to make money. Infuriates me. Ugh. Adopt, always adopt.Tyson rescued me. That's all I can say.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online