Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why are there so many Bulldogs up for adoption?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I agree with everything everyone before me has said. I do want to add that there are way fewer bully's in rescue than a lot of other breeds. For instance, we have several boxer rescues in North Texas (I love boxers and have always had some in addition to my bullies). One of them is Legacy Boxer Rescue and there are probably ten times as many boxers in that rescue alone as are in our bully rescue group (Lone Star) here. Labs--same thing. It's just heartbreaking. Some of the reasons people ditch their dogs just make me so mad I could spit! Some of the worst? "We're expecting a baby and have to get rid of the dog," and "we're moving and can't take the dog," and "don't have enough time for the dog." Some people should never have dogs (any kind) in the first place! Sorry for the rant.
    Yeah, the "we are having a baby one really unnerves me completely!!" Not too long ago while my son was living in an apartment there was a family that had a young Great Dane. Her name was Sadie and she was beautiful. The lady got pregnant and I would see their Dane everyday and I asked if they were prepared to have Sadie and the baby. They told me they would never get rid of Sadie, she was such a good dog. Well, this lady had the baby and then I didn't see Sadie for several days. I asked my son and he told me they got rid of her because of the baby. Get this, they knew I had Great Danes (Lady Hanna lives with my son now) and they took Sadie to another county to an animal shelter just to make sure I didn't find out they put her there. Once I found that out it was on!! I confronted them and told them how worthly they were, I could understand they had a baby but to put that beautiful dog in a shelter when they knew I had experience with the breed and 10 acres for her to roam on and instead of just telling me the truth they dumped her. I told them I wish I could dump them out of humanity. They moved shortly after that and I have never seen them again. Worthless......totally worthless people!!
    Last edited by dalmatina38; 05-15-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Likes dolphin, bullmama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone above as well, and Donna had a really good point as well regarding rescues and shelters in general, there are too many dogs in these places due to the fact people don't think about the long term commitment it takes to be a parent to a furbaby. Too many people, buy a dog and once the move,try of the cute puppy phase wears off, they are banished to the backyard, or dropped off at the shelter and they walk away. It's very sad. Other excuses I've seen are I have allergies, ( you didn't know this before?), I don't have time to spend with my dog, ( then why did you buy a dog?),
    The dog is aggressive, doesn't listen, or poos/pees in the house ( meaning they didn't take the time to train or socialize their dog). People just don't think when they get a dog, that a dog is a lifetime commitment and a dog is a part of your family, and should be treated as a member of your family. You wouldn't just walk away from a child in your family, so why would you walk away from a helpless animal that you chose and once loved? They are dependant upon you to love and take care of them for their whole life. They don't grow up like a child and become independent, they will always need you. This world has become such a throw away society.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

4. Likes Donnam liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I agree with every single post here. Simpy put, no one researches the breed prior. They go based off looks or bulldogs being "cool" - if you truly did all your research first there wouldn't be as many as there are. That and irresponsible breeders only looking to make money. Infuriates me. Ugh. Adopt, always adopt.Tyson rescued me. That's all I can say.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

6. Likes harveyspecter, dolphin, Donnam liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone. Life and circumstances change and sometimes rehoming or turning over to a rescue cannot be avoided and is in the best interest of the animal in question. Lack of education to me is not an excuse as there are plenty of avenues you can take upfront to find out all you know.

I spent over 20 years researching and waiting until I was stable enough financially before I got Harlea and I am glad I did as I feel it has made me a better daddy to her. Do I know everything? Oh heck no I learn new things about her every day but I am in it for the long haul and will never give my baby up.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

8. Likes RiiSi, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    I spent over 20 years researching and waiting until I was stable enough financially before I got Harlea and I am glad I did as I feel it has made me a better daddy to her. Do I know everything? Oh heck no I learn new things about her every day but I am in it for the long haul and will never give my baby up.
    We didn't spend quite as long researching, but I wanted a bulldog for a long time. we had a long family discussion for a few months before deciding to make the investment. We currently have a golden retriever that's three years old and we didn't want to wait until something happened to him before getting another dog and right now financially was a good time to get a bulldog and have the funds to support him. There's only a couple people that know what we paid for Bruno sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by how much we spent.

I know this isn't a bulldog but right on cue in our local Facebook garage sale site.

-image-jpg

10. Likes 2BullyMama, dolphin liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

Love and passion for English Bulldogs started since I was 5 always wanted one. Finally after researching..teaching myself about this breed I decided to go for it at the age of 33. I love them everything about them. Granted I still have so much to learn about this beautiful breed but it's all worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes dolphin, RiiSi liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Continuing to learn about our babies is a good thing. I would never claim to know everything, it's too exhausting!! lol I love EBN because I can come on here everyday and learn a new or better way to handle an issue or whatever with my boys! I wish everyone who was considering getting a Bulldog had knowledge of EBN first! Hey, maybe I will rent a plane and advertise!!! Be right back, I have to start a Go Fund Me site!! lol
    My smooshy face boy!

14. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mb190e View Post

-image-jpg
    Right on cue is right. Have you seen the hundreds of bulldogs up for adoption on our Adoption page? Kind of mind-numbing.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mb190e View Post
    We didn't spend quite as long researching, but I wanted a bulldog for a long time. we had a long family discussion for a few months before deciding to make the investment. We currently have a golden retriever that's three years old and we didn't want to wait until something happened to him before getting another dog and right now financially was a good time to get a bulldog and have the funds to support him. There's only a couple people that know what we paid for Bruno sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by how much we spent.

I know this isn't a bulldog but right on cue in our local Facebook garage sale site.

-image-jpg
    Yep, those are the ones that break my heart. Look at that sweet baby. I once saw a female boxer in rescue because she was protective of the new baby. She had never been aggressive to visitors or anything, the parents thought she was overprotective. I wanted to cry--maybe I did cry. I really shouldn't go to those websites.

Like Todd said, there are certainly times when it's in the best interest of the dog to rehome them. I had to do it once. Before that, I thought nothing could ever make me give up one of my dogs. I had two girls that were going to kill each other. They were both great girls individually, very sweet. But after 6 months and a couple thousand $ paid to trainers, the problem was worse than ever. We just couldn't live that way and it was terrible for the girls. Luckily we found an awesome home for one and didn't have to use a rescue, but thank goodness we have rescues! I will never have that problem again, because I'll never try to have two adult females together again. So now I again think nothing could make me give up one of my dogs!

Monica, you're so right, it's the lack of commitment that's so awful. When you get a dog they're family--till death do us part!

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I wanted an english bulldog for a long as I can remember and I was 42 when I thought I was ready....now I'm a few years older and have two and I could never imagine to give them away. Also I don't think my bullies are high maintanance...My boys eat raw food ( I just love mixing their foods, different every day) and they don't have any allergies. The other one has Hyperuricosuria (prone to develope urate bladder stones) and we've had quite a lot to deal with that but it is under control now. We don't have to clean their behinds, wrinkles, ears, eyes or what ever more often than an another breed would have to. If you have a breed with thick heavy coat you have to brush it weekly or a dog with no coat you have to put sun tan lotion on it so it won't burn....You have to take of the dog depending on it's needs. Wolfs are a close cousin to dogs and they can take care of them selves and we want them dead.

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

The 'no young kids' rule is usually placed on a dog because they have been identified as jumping on people or energetic, and could easily knock down/hurt a child unintentionally. These rescues need to cover every single base if only to protect themselves. It's so incredibly hard to get dogs from a rescue for a reason. They need to make sure the dog is 100% going to the right home and will not be returned to them, or, god forbid, hurt a child and have to be put down. They're protecting themselves as an organization and protecting the dogs as well.

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

I inherited my female bully from my son - he was too busy to care for her - I adopted my male bully from Lone Star Bulldog Rescue - he was a senior and I only had him for a little over a year, but I fell in love with him from the first time I saw his photo and I will never regret having him - he changed my life forever. I will adopt again, but it will be a while from now - it has only been 2 months since he passed away from cancer and I miss him terribly.

21. Likes dolphin liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads