Penny rubbed her face off...

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Penny decided it was a good idea to escape her crate while the hubby and I were at work. She not only succeeded in escaping she also bent both doors, moved the crate 4 feet beck from where it started, bent the base, rubbed her face RAW and hurt left front paw. So, I've checked her paw out it seems fine, I've been giving her doses of aspirin every 8 to 12 hours based on her body weight, and I've been trying to put neosporin on her mouth and cheeks, but she licks it off immediately. What do you all recommend for her raw cheeks and nose? It isn't bleeding it's just very red, and looks really painful. I thought about getting Aquaphor since it's really thick, but wanted to check with you all for recommendations.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
First, I'm so sorry this happened, how traumatizing!

I know to be careful of giving aspirin w/out Vet approval
(can't remember why), hoping someone else knows. You
might call your Vet and ask for advice.

I know my Catahoula got stung on his cheek by a wasp
and the other dogs licked his cheek raw, it was an awful
wound! My Vet had some miracle cream (in a small tube)
it just took a tiny bit on the wound, it looked 1000x better
by the next day! Will try to find the tube & get name of it.

Possibly Vetericyn would heal it too. Sending hugs & prayers!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, I would try Vetericyn - I just received mine earlier this week, and as luck would have it, I came home to Tyson with some sort of irritation or hot spot yesterday so I started the Vetericyn this morning. I used neosporin last night. I hope I start to see improvement. Alot of members really rave about it, hope it works just as great for us. Poor Penny - I wonder what the heck made her do all that. Is she feeling better this morning. And yes, I would use that aspirin very carefully...

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Checking in on y'all, how is Penny's face today?

Got to thinking she rubbed from itching, is she on
anything for allergies?

Hoping for better news, continued prayers over her!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Penny decided it was a good idea to escape her crate while the hubby and I were at work. She not only succeeded in escaping she also bent both doors, moved the crate 4 feet beck from where it started, bent the base, rubbed her face RAW and hurt left front paw. So, I've checked her paw out it seems fine, I've been giving her doses of aspirin every 8 to 12 hours based on her body weight, and I've been trying to put neosporin on her mouth and cheeks, but she licks it off immediately. What do you all recommend for her raw cheeks and nose? It isn't bleeding it's just very red, and looks really painful. I thought about getting Aquaphor since it's really thick, but wanted to check with you all for recommendations.

How is Penny today? did she do all this due to anxiety? I would just clean it with peroxide to make sure it does not get dirty and then a little neosporin they alwasy lick it off, but try to distract her with treats so she ignores it when you first place it on the sore

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I think the best thing for Penny would be a new baby brother. I believe a 6 week old puppy brother would calm her down. Ralphie

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the best thing for Penny would be a new baby brother. I believe a 6 week old puppy brother would calm her down. Ralphie
Oh no no no lol! My husband and his bulldog obsession is even starting to waver with all the puppy craziness in our house! Lol

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How is Penny today? did she do all this due to anxiety? I would just clean it with peroxide to make sure it does not get dirty and then a little neosporin they alwasy lick it off, but try to distract her with treats so she ignores it when you first place it on the sore
Her face is almost as good as new. She has a small rubbed area of irritation but her nose is a lot better. It is from anxiety she does fine some days and other days she goes crazy. We've decided to put her in the bathroom from now on and deal with her destructive shinanigans in there.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Oh no no no lol! My husband and his bulldog obsession is even starting to waver with all the puppy craziness in our house! Lol

Come on Brandi. Just one more puppy. They say 4 is no different than 3. Of course I heard 2 is no more that 1.
Ralphie

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Her face is almost as good as new. She has a small rubbed area of irritation but her nose is a lot better. It is from anxiety she does fine some days and other days she goes crazy. We've decided to put her in the bathroom from now on and deal with her destructive shinanigans in there.

Have you tried a thunder shirt on her?

Also, an herbal product called Rescue Remedy works well
for some dogs, it's a spray available otc too, like Petsmart,
Petco, etc...sending loving hugs to y'all, the puppy stage
IS challenging but some of the worst pups change into
awesome adults, some change for the better even sooner!

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried a thunder shirt on her?

Also, an herbal product called Rescue Remedy works well
for some dogs, it's a spray available otc too, like Petsmart,
Petco, etc...sending loving hugs to y'all, the puppy stage
IS challenging but some of the worst pups change into
awesome adults, some change for the better even sooner!
We tried a thunder shirt, but she pouts like she is in punishment when she has it on, and rubs it against everything to try to get it off of her. I'll try that and see how it works. I'm sure it's because she's deaf that she gets so anxious and scared, hopefully she will grow out of it. She's doing A LOT better now with anxiety and spooking than she did when she was a baby, at least we're moving in the right direction.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We tried a thunder shirt, but she pouts like she is in punishment when she has it on, and rubs it against everything to try to get it off of her. I'll try that and see how it works. I'm sure it's because she's deaf that she gets so anxious and scared, hopefully she will grow out of it. She's doing A LOT better now with anxiety and spooking than she did when she was a baby, at least we're moving in the right direction.

[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
b3d4bc7d501520c1d3120ad0e37c6376.jpg

Penny's poor "lips" she's enjoying the fire pit with mom and dad tonight. [emoji4]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online