Tritop alternative

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Just wondering if anyone's used tri-top from the vet and found an alternative? We are about out of ours and think you need a prescription. Plus it's not cheap for a little tube.

Anyone else use anything different?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had not heard of this before, but wondering if Neo-poly would be the same? [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Looking at the ingredients Tri-top also has a corticosteroid and a topical anesthetic in the mix, in addition to the antibacterial. I wonder if it would be less costly to ask your vet for a prescription and then take it to a compounding pharmacist in your area who could make this for you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks similar to a panalog / animax type ointmemt that treats external skin problems and infections. Anything similar would need a prescription, but, I use Malecetic Otic Ultra which is a liquid that contains a steroid in it as well. The ultra is the one that works very similar as these ointments but I try not to use it unless needed with a bad spot or rash, enflamed areas, ect. Not for regular use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I had not heard of this before, but wondering if Neo-poly would be the same? [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Neo poly dex is for the eyeballs :D. :bigeyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Neo poly dex is for the eyeballs :D. :bigeyes: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ponder: I had a Neo poly ??/ for Banks once and it was not for her eyes... wonder what it was

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
there is a triple antibiotic for dogs that contains polymixin/neomycin/bacitracin for the skin...probably the one [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] used!

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Looking at the ingredients Tri-top also has a corticosteroid and a topical anesthetic in the mix, in addition to the antibacterial. I wonder if it would be less costly to ask your vet for a prescription and then take it to a compounding pharmacist in your area who could make this for you.

Is that common practice? I didn't know pharmacists could make stuff up for you.

We got it for cuts and little skins rashes and such. Just about out, but figured this group would have some less costly ideas!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is that common practice? I didn't know pharmacists could make stuff up for you.

We got it for cuts and little skins rashes and such. Just about out, but figured this group would have some less costly ideas!

YES! but you need to go to a compounding pharmacy. Your vet probably knows of one in your area. There are several here in So Cal which cater to animals who have a hard time taking conventional medications or need something special made up for them. If you just want something on hand for cuts and skin rashes there are alternatives: chlorhexidine is a very good antibacterial that you can buy (not expensive), and dilute when you use it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
there is a triple antibiotic for dogs that contains polymixin/neomycin/bacitracin for the skin...probably the one [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] used!

Oh yes, I am sure I have used it in the past too, kinda like a neosphorin...... As a matter of fact, once I got a script from my vet for 5 tubes of the eye ointment and I ordered it from an online store, and they sent me the regular kind. Doh!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.