Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm usually pretty diligent about checking and cleaning Bella's face folds. I even cleaned her face yesterday (always with witch hazel). Today, I looked at her face, opened the folds, and noticed, what looked like, mucus in her folds! I cleaned with witch hazel and now it's just red.

I'm not sure what happened...overnight.

A couple of days ago, she was 100% transitioned from a week-long bland diet of chicken/rice. Her usual food is Fromm Lamb and Lentil. Maybe she's alergic to chicken and the bland diet week finally caught up with her? Maybe it really was allergy mucus that irritated her skin?

Should I just continue to use witch hazel or should I add something else to take the red away?

image.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would put some Desitin, or Boudreaux,s un it as it looks sore. Then when you clean it off, use warm water, and see how it looks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ill do that. Thank you!

I agree with Lynn suggestion... and you can give some Benedryl to help clear it up too -- this happen to Banks a lot during the spring time. 1 mg per pound of bully up to 3x a day

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Christine, I'm glad it's bully-normal. I couldn't figure out how I could have been so negligent.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Lynn and Christine have you covered… Wally has deep red folds, but his eyes are weeping and until I get his surgery it will stay that way :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yup all covered - some baby destin w a q-tip & she'll be fine by tomorrow - just a little irritated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My girl gets like this when I put rice in her food or noodles when on a bland diet . It causes a small amount of yeast build up and after cleaning it off with witch hazel I put corn starch on it once I know it's dry. A vet many many years ago told me to do this to my EBD then. He was as old as the hills and I loved him and I believed anything he said for me to do lol. So yeah it seems to help my boo and she is more comfortable with this rather than the desitin. Hope it heals up.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks everyone! It seems to be working. :)

Most Reactions