Enrichment toys for Bulldogs Suggestions

pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Does anyone have some suggestion for specific enrichment toys for their Bulldogs? My dog Chubs current favorites are as follows but I’m looking for some more toys to keep him entertained while I’m away.

1. Large Cardboard Rolls 6” to 8” Diameter cut in quarts
  2. Cardinal Laboratories Crazy Pet Bumble Ball
  3. StarMark Bob-A-Lot Interactive Dog Toy
  4. Laser Pointer

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
A lot of people here seem to use Kong toys for their bulldogs... but most dog toys are only to be used with supervision... I'm crazy paranoid, I don't leave my dogs with any toys:blush2: I'm sure other people will have great suggestions and pros and cons:) I know Antlers are great... but I think those are for supervision only...

Oh, and be careful with the laser pointer, I've heard some dogs get addicted and starts to chase light wherever they go. This warning was directed mostly towards herding dogs but it can happen to any dog I guess:(.

And if buying one of those toys with a hole for treats... make sure to get one that's big enough, I've seen dogs who's tongue has gotten sucked in and then since it's swollen they can't get it out... see how crazy I am? lol. I can find wrongs with basically any toy... my poor doggies don't have it easy:ashamed: :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use antlers and marrow bones along with Kong and Nylabone toys.

#1 and 3 on your list I would only do on occasion..... cardboard he can eat and the laser they can become obsessed over and not want to play with anything else. Our girl, Banks was like this and it took about 2 weeks for her to play with any other toy when we finally stopped using the laser. It was kind of sad, cause she would just sit and stare at the drawer we stored it in for hours. Now, our boy, he did not obsess so it was a fun activity so I guess my point it to monitor his level with it :D

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agreed, be very careful with the cardboard, if ingested that could cause an obstruction - so make sure you always monitor, and not leave him alone with it. Like @2BullyMama said antlers are great! They are very hard for them to break off pieces, get him one large enough where he can't put the whole thing in his mouth, that will keep him entertained for a good while - they try to get the marrow out of it.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We use antlers and marrow bones along with Kong and Nylabone toys.

#1 and 3 on your list I would only do on occasion..... cardboard he can eat and the laser they can become obsessed over and not want to play with anything else. Our girl, Banks was like this and it took about 2 weeks for her to play with any other toy when we finally stopped using the laser. It was kind of sad, cause she would just sit and stare at the drawer we stored it in for hours. Now, our boy, he did not obsess so it was a fun activity so I guess my point it to monitor his level with it :D

If I'm on the phone and the sun catches it and casts a light on the wall or floor, Bella will go crazy! She acts like a pouncing kitten. I think I have a laser pointer somewhere, but, if I use it, she might hurt herself...my silly girl.

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Effie loves the laser pointer! But, we only play with it maybe once a week...I definitely don't want her to become obsessive! She also loves bully sticks and edible nylabones- both of which we have to supervise her with. She has a treat dispensing puzzle ball that she really enjoys too! There really isn't any toy I'd be comfortable leaving her with without any supervision! LOL! Lord knows she'd get herself into some kinda trouble! :giggle:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
One of Monty's favourite toys is an empty Simply Pure orange juice bottle (minus top). It makes a lot of noise on our tile and wood and is much sturdier than a water bottle. When we first got him he was sniffing in the pantry one day, found one stored and came flying out with it. We always keep one on hand now and replace it when it gets too squashed and gross! It has to be Simply Pure for him, he doesn't seem to care for the other shaped bottles!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree with [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] - we don't leave any toys out when Castor is alone.

Among Castor's favourite toys right now is a ball which makes those weird noises in a totally random fashion, and a cube which releases treats when he moves it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If I'm on the phone and the sun catches it and casts a light on the wall or floor, Bella will go crazy! She acts like a pouncing kitten. I think I have a laser pointer somewhere, but, if I use it, she might hurt herself...my silly girl.

hell yeah! that drove Banks insane... she would literally try to climb the wall to get the reflection

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We get Barkley antlers sometimes but it seems like they just keep not lasting long enough-they're so expensive bc we get the huge ones to make them try and last but they never do :(

I found the Big Nylabone that's says it's virtually indestructible and it actually is! We got him one over a year ago and it's still in really great shape and he chews on it almost everyday!! Here's a pic of the one we have, I highly recommend it!!

3100fdb968c34b23cd391fa40613fc53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Michelle, where did you get this Big Nylabone? This would be perfect for Elmo. Thank You, Susan and Elmo

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
We too don't leave any toys out for Ruby when she's alone - we buy her nylabones & kong toys amongst the mounting of toys she has her favourite toy at the minute is a squeaky kong tennis ball she likes to walk round with it in her mouth constantly pressing the squeak - I swear she does it to annoy us [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.