wrestlingbulls11

May 6, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
HI, I have a soon to be 5 yr old english bulldog. Yesterday he had surgery to remove bladder stones and is doing great. Our vet recommended us to put him on a prescription diet food to help him not go thru this again. He is currently on a grain free food and has done great. Only problem is none of the prescription are grain free so I'm just deciding on what i wanna do. Just seeing if anyone else has been in the boat and what you ended up doing? Thanks in advance

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: have you thought about raw or The Honest Kitchen brand of food?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
HI, I have a soon to be 5 yr old english bulldog. Yesterday he had surgery to remove bladder stones and is doing great. Our vet recommended us to put him on a prescription diet food to help him not go thru this again. He is currently on a grain free food and has done great. Only problem is none of the prescription are grain free so I'm just deciding on what i wanna do. Just seeing if anyone else has been in the boat and what you ended up doing? Thanks in advance

I don't have experience with stones, but I think a member did and I'm going to tag her in the thread to chime in. I know that with bullies, grain free is pretty important, bc our their allergies. The vet will always push that crap of prescription food. If you read the ingredients, you will see how bad they are. We went commercial raw with Tyson, which is also what [MENTION=8518]sunkissedpr1ncs[/MENTION] did with her Barkley, and I know that it helped tremendously. It is a bigger expense, but in the end if it keeps those stone from reoccurring, and is overall WONDERFUL for their health, I would make the investment. We do the raw patties by Stella & Chewy's. Not only have we seen great results with our Tyson's skin, weight, etc. The benefits its made on his digestion and belly issues is amazing.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I don't have experience with stones, but I think a member did and I'm going to tag her in the thread to chime in. I know that with bullies, grain free is pretty important, bc our their allergies. The vet will always push that crap of prescription food. If you read the ingredients, you will see how bad they are. We went commercial raw with Tyson, which is also what @sunkissedpr1ncs did with her Barkley, and I know that it helped tremendously. It is a bigger expense, but in the end if it keeps those stone from reoccurring, and is overall WONDERFUL for their health, I would make the investment. We do the raw patties by Stella & Chewy's. Not only have we seen great results with our Tyson's skin, weight, etc. The benefits its made on his digestion and belly issues is amazing.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this!! @wrestlingbulls11 did the vet say which type of stones they were? Barkley had cystine stones and they tried to put him on the Hills food too but I wouldn't feed him it. I started feeding him the Stella & Chewy patties in the evening but still feed him the Fromm kibble he was on in the morning. I make sure to add lots of water to his food to help flush out the bladder more too. If they are cystine stones, neutering has been shown to help prevent the stones from re-occuring in bulldog breeds, has your bully been neutered?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.