advice on summer with bully

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
The days are getting hotter and Molly loves being outside but gets hot really fast. I know bulldogs don't handle the heat to well any ideas on things I can do to make her summer be a great one ;)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We spend tons of time outside and have to limit Ruthie and Brutus. It sucks and they sit in the window and bark because they want to be with us.
We have a pool so they are always in that, they play in the hose and always have fresh water and shade.
it's supposed to be 90 here today so when it gets this hot, i walk them either very early or very late in the evening. They daytime hrs are limited to about 10-15 mins outside and back in to cool down. They last a bit longer if we wet them down well, but we don't like to risk it.

I also make them what i call "bully beef cubes" which is frozen ice cubes with beef broth in it. They love them and sit and munch on those to keep cool.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The days are getting hotter and Molly loves being outside but gets hot really fast. I know bulldogs don't handle the heat to well any ideas on things I can do to make her summer be a great one ;)

Always keep cold water available - most bullies love love love ice, so give ice chips, cubes :) Also, we purchased a "Kool Collar" for Tyson - Its hot & humid here in TX, so we put this on him for his walks only.... its basically an ice pack you put into the collar, and it slowly melts, releasing water down their necks to help keep them cool. A cool spray down with the hose also helps keep them cool if you're outside. You're best bet is to limit the time outside, and just watch for her body language and signs that she's hot. You will notice them quickly, heaving panting, drooling, etc. Get her inside asap if you see that start to happen.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The other day it was 70 degrees. I had to go to the bank, and took Maude with me. On the way home, I stopped at one yard sale. When we got back in the car, she was panting so bad,I put the A/C on high and I was really worried about her. She did okay, but She won't be going anywhere this summer. I AM going to get them a pool, and the A/C in the house will be on! @TyTy'smom has given great advice! Maude loves the sun and she cries at the door to go out, and all she wants to do is lay in the sun! I have to "drag" her in!

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
We spend tons of time outside and have to limit Ruthie and Brutus. It sucks and they sit in the window and bark because they want to be with us.
We have a pool so they are always in that, they play in the hose and always have fresh water and shade.
it's supposed to be 90 here today so when it gets this hot, i walk them either very early or very late in the evening. They daytime hrs are limited to about 10-15 mins outside and back in to cool down. They last a bit longer if we wet them down well, but we don't like to risk it.

I also make them what i call "bully beef cubes" which is frozen ice cubes with beef broth in it. They love them and sit and munch on those to keep cool.

That's a great idea I'm definitely trying it ty:)

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
The other day it was 70 degrees. I had to go to the bank, and took Maude with me. On the way home, I stopped at one yard sale. When we got back in the car, she was panting so bad,I put the A/C on high and I was really worried about her. She did okay, but She won't be going anywhere this summer. I AM going to get them a pool, and the A/C in the house will be on! @TyTy'smom has given great advice! Maude loves the sun and she cries at the door to go out, and all she wants to do is lay in the sun! I have to "drag" her in!

I've been taking Molly everywhere with me.she usually has a moment when she decides she likes a spot and plants herself right there ! She's getting to be a big girl already 35 pounds so I bring treats now when we go somewhere lol she will do anything for them !

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Seline Weiskopff Mine expect a treat just for coming up the steps!!:w00t: (leftover puppy bribery...)er, I mean TRAINING :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:up:

Our girl was a sunbathing NUT... so we bought her a baby pool to play in and at times let her 'frolic' in the sprinkler to stay cool. I would give her about 30 mins. and then it was calm time and back in the house

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
:up:

Our girl was a sunbathing NUT... so we bought her a baby pool to play in and at times let her 'frolic' in the sprinkler to stay cool. I would give her about 30 mins. and then it was calm time and back in the house

Ruthie LOVES to sun bathe. i get them a pool every year but they destroy it with in 4 mins. They love the hose, Brutus ate it last year so we had to get a new one, he may be banned from it this year.
I just had them in the pool, this is Ruthie's current position.
20150506_150951.jpg

Attachments

• 20150506_150951.jpg
    20150506_150951.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
oh yeah, Harvey expects a treat just for looking at him. Like what do you want, you have something for me or what?:rolleyes:

Everytime my hubby goes to the store he gets her something well today he forgot! She was so sad he went back out and got her favorite antler

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Ruthie LOVES to sun bathe. i get them a pool every year but they destroy it with in 4 mins. They love the hose, Brutus ate it last year so we had to get a new one, he may be banned from it this year.
I just had them in the pool, this is Ruthie's current position.
View attachment 87007

Too cute ! A complete stranger at the dog park gave me a puppy pool she loves it we will see how long it last. this is mollys current situation lol 20150506_153212.jpg

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls attack the water sprinklers on the grass and they have a kiddy pool to play in. They are inside during the heat of the day with AC on high even when I am at work. It starts to cool down around 6pm in the evenings here so that is the right time to let them go crazy with the hose and kiddy pool. Mostly, we rely on the AC to make them happy throughout the summer. Good luck

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
This is our first summer with Effie- and my husband and I had the same general question. My husband had actually wanted to get one of those pull along pet carriages that will attach to our bikes. We live in Virginia Beach and like to ride our bikes down at the oceanfront boardwalk in the evenings after work (usually around 6pm/7pm). At first I thought this was a really cool idea! I'm almost positive Effie would love it. But now I have major concerns about her overheating...these carriages are mighty expensive, and I don't want him to purchase one if it's going to be a waste (as in mommy is too scared to let baby come along for the ride!) We'll of course be bringing fresh cool water for her to drink. We usually only ride for an hour anyway, and we stop for a break after the 1st 30 minutes- which I thought would be a good time for her to drink some water, and maybe play at the beach? (still not sure how I feel about letting her play in salt water though....) Decisions, decisions!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.