Marykazmi

May 6, 2015
Country
United Arab Emirates
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxi and Leo
Hi,

I currently live in Dubai and am moving this month out of the country. I have read up on bully travel and it has made me so nervous because I have only seen horror stories.

We are being forced to travel with them in the Cargo- everything is air conditioned and pressurized from the vehicle that takes them to the plane to the place where they will be kept- they will also be the last to be boarded and the first to be taken off the plane when we land.

Have any of you travelled with your bully in cargo on the plane? I would love to hear some positive stories. Also, any advice or tips? Leaving them behind is not an option and I will NOT rehome them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
someone here had their baby flown to England... she is the only one i can think of because most of the airlines do not allow brachycephalic breeds to fly

I will try to find her name and tag her to the thread

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have not flown w/dogs but, I did fly w/my cats from Alaska to Georgia and I also took them w/us to Germany. We put them in a crate together and we also gave them a sedative to make the flight easier for them.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We took our American Bulldog, 2 cats and a parrot with us to the UK and we brought Chumly back with us. I have a couple of questions, who are you flying with, where to, are you doing the booking by yourself or a pet transportation company making the arrangements? If you are going this month, it is a BAD time weather wise and a lot of airlines have a weather embargo and won't take them anyway. I would not be flying any animal at this time of year, period. I just checked the weather in Dubai, it will be in the low 100s. Our outward trip was in the winter, no problem. Coming back with Chumly in September was a huge mistake. I should have waited at least another month. I was promised he would be in A/C at all times too. Wrong. I saw his crate offloaded (with that hold door wide open) at least half an hour after I got off the plane and he sat on the tarmac for another 10 mins. The weather in Houston that day had gone back up to 90. When we eventually retrieved him in customs he was so stressed out I thought we would be going straight to an emergency vet. I was scared to death. He wouldn't drink or even look at us. Luckily once we got him in the car he calmed down and by the time we got to my son's house he was doing much better. Most important, DO NOT TRANQUILIZE THEM. I cannot stress that enough. Most airlines won't allow it anymore anyway but that is the reason why some animals die in the hold.
I really wish I could say don't worry, they will be fine but in the heat like this, there is no way I would do it. Can you stay longer or have someone look after them until the weather is cooler?

OP
M

Marykazmi

May 6, 2015
Country
United Arab Emirates
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxi and Leo
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. We are travelling this week from Dubai to Pakistan. Unfortunately after trying to find a way to leave them here, it just turned out it was not possible- plus 5 months is a very long time to be apart from them and they are very attached.

Given that Dubai is incredibly hot 6 months of the year, Dubai Kennel and Cattery who handle the care and handling of pets in Dubai airport are very experienced in the care of animals even in the dubai heat. We are working with a pet transportation company and they have also assured us the same.

When we land in pakistan the weather will be 21 degrees or so which is around 70 degrees F...we will def NOT be sedating them I know how dangerous this will be.

Does anyone have any further tips or positive stories?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. We are travelling this week from Dubai to Pakistan. Unfortunately after trying to find a way to leave them here, it just turned out it was not possible- plus 5 months is a very long time to be apart from them and they are very attached.

Given that Dubai is incredibly hot 6 months of the year, Dubai Kennel and Cattery who handle the care and handling of pets in Dubai airport are very experienced in the care of animals even in the dubai heat. We are working with a pet transportation company and they have also assured us the same.

When we land in pakistan the weather will be 21 degrees or so which is around 70 degrees F...we will def NOT be sedating them I know how dangerous this will be.

Does anyone have any further tips or positive stories?

I am pleased you are dealing with Dubai Kennels. We nearly moved to Dubai and was in contact with them. I trust them much more than just the airlines, they can't be trusted! Good luck and please let us know when you all arrive safely!

Most Reactions