How long do you leave your dog unsupervised at home?

pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Hi I need some advice I was wondering how long most of you leave your dogs unsupervised in your homes. More specifically in apartments or condos? I have 1 year old English bulldog whom I’ve been leaving at home sadly while I go to work for 12 hours a day. I feel horrible leaving him all alone all day however I did hire a dog walker but it’s costing me a small fortune…

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I leave my 12 month old dog alone for about 12 hours a day during the week . I live in a apt . I have my apt gated off so she just stays in the hallway. Everything is puppy proofed . So it is safe . I Leave safe toys with her to keep her from being bored. But I spend my weekends with her. But she is adjusted to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
And by the way a dog walker wouldn't work for me because they wouldn't have access to my apt

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella has never been alone more than about 3.5 hours. When she's alone, she's always contained in her playpen. When I go to work, I take her to doggie daycare, as I work 10-hour days. She's 7 months old.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We only leave Harlea alone for a few hours at most but usually someone is always home so it is a rare occasion that she is alone much at all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have a pet sitter that comes in at mid-day currently and costs is $16.00 a day. she stays for an hour and feeds them lunch and playtime. Prior to that the longest with left them was about 9 hrs.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
The longest I've ever left Winnie and Jack is 3 hours and they are in the crate. But even that is very rare because we are home with them most of the time--at least one of us. Any longer and I would take them to daycare. Winnie is 10 months old.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
On very care occasions they've been alone for 10 hours, ever. I work from home now, so they're hardly ever alone for more than maybe 5-6 hours. My older boy is prone to develope bladder stones and he can't go without peeing for much more than 8 hours.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Where I'm from (Sweden) the recommendation is to not leave your dog alone for more than 6 hours without anyone coming in to let them out for a potty break. I think that's fair but it makes it hard for anyone with work to have a dog...

We leave ours for maybe 3-4 hours once a week when we go grocery shopping and maybe an hour now and then if I need to run errands during the week. Occasionally we have to leave them for longer when we need to go to the capital, that happens maybe 5-10 times a year and then we're gone for around 10 hours.

OP
P

pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Thank you all for your responses. I guess my boy Chubs lives a good life in his high-rise condo in Seattle. He's got a decent balcony with patch of synthetic grass to relieve himself but I don't think he's ever used it. I would send him to daycare but none of the facilities in Seattle accept unaltered dogs. :(

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I LEAVE ELMO FOR ABOUT 3 TO 4 HOURS TO RUN ERRANDS, MAYBE 2 TIMES A WEEK HE IS IN HIS CRATE. I DO NOT TRUST ANYONE WITH MY BABIES, SO WE ARE USUALLY HOME ALL THE TIME.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I do about 4-5 hours for Brett and Logan. Brett can hold his pee for longer than that but Logan is still 4 mos old and he can't control it longer yet.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I can leave my dogs for ages, it's my kids I don't trust. [emoji15]