bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
It's official on May 11 Radar is having his nares, palate and acl fixed. I got a preapproval from Trupanion for all of it, so that part is out of the way. My husband is building Radar a carpeted ramp to use on the stairs to get outside, I have our hotel room booked for the night he has to stay in the hospital. I want to be as prepared as possible when he comes home. I am sure a lot of people have gone through this so I am looking for must -have items for his recovery and any hints, tips, and advice

Thanks in advance!! we are over a week away and I am already nervous:nervous::pray:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope and pray that everything works out successful, I'm really happy to see that you're having all the procedures done at one time.:pray::pray:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending prayers… I will tag some members that have experience w/all of that. Keep us posted!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's official on May 11 Radar is having his nares, palate and acl fixed. I got a preapproval from Trupanion for all of it, so that part is out of the way. My husband is building Radar a carpeted ramp to use on the stairs to get outside, I have our hotel room booked for the night he has to stay in the hospital. I want to be as prepared as possible when he comes home. I am sure a lot of people have gone through this so I am looking for must -have items for his recovery and any hints, tips, and advice

Thanks in advance!! we are over a week away and I am already nervous:nervous::pray:

Hi, I don't blame you for being nervous, these are our babies after all, but it sounds like you have everything in place, and doing all 3 surgeries is also a good idea. They really do better than we think they will, and when you trust your vet, they really are in good hands. I don't have experience with the surgeries you are doing, I've only had to deal with spay and neuter surgeries so far. I do know that surgeries and injuries in the mouth generally heal well and more quickly, and with pain medication they should do well. The ACL surgery is a much longer recovery process, and the hardest thing will be trying to keep Radar quiet and not running or jumping. These bully babies have a high pain threshold and with pain medication, he may feel like he can run and play. It's important not to let him play rough, run or jump off beds or couches, or go up and down stairs. The ramp is an excellent idea. It would be best to crate him for a week or so after surgery, so he can rest and not run around, plus with the pain medication, he will be a sleepy guy. After that can you gate him off in an area like the kitchen or other room where he can move around but have limited access? I hope the surgery goes well, please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nares and palate is a breeze... soft food for a few days and keep him calm for about a week to 10 days.

ACL... sigh, we took all the furniture out of a bedroom, placed pillows, blankets, his food/water bowls in the room and then baby gated the door way so he could not run/wander around, but he had the whole room to slowly move around. We took turns sleeping with him and carried him up/down the stairs until our vet said he was allowed to do stairs on his own. We also did all the PT work in that room with him so he was very comfortable and did not feel left out of anything cause we made sure he could see us if we were not with him. His sister was not allowed in with him unless we were in the room too.

Ice packs and also keep wet wash cloth in a ziplock bag in the freezer -- we used them to help the swelling when doing the PT work.

BEST of luck...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending all my best wishes(and:pray:) for Radar and family for an uneventful surgery and a good recovery. I,so far with the bullies, have only had spays and one (two eyes)
entropion surgery. I am sure we will be having nares done, also before long.Everyone above has given you excellent advice!@bengardradar

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Best wishes for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery. I've only experienced the nare surgery and it was an easy process.She did lick her stitches to much and had to have one side redone with local anesthesia.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.