Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So I noticed this past weekend that Mac Daddy's fur was thinning in a few spots on his hind quarters/belly area. It just seems to the thinning on the dark part of his brindle coloring, he doesn't scratch at it all or if I touch the thinning spots it doesn't bother him at all/no bumps/no irritation. He has been just as active as usual, eats and poops like a champ sometimes I am almost impressed about what comes out the little guy. The weather has been warming up here in Texas so my dad thought about he was shedding a little for the summer weather but he is a inside dog and it only on certain spots but it seems to be spreading also. I have made a appointment with the VET for Saturday but I figured I ask if anyone has had the same issues.

Do bulldogs change colors as they get older?
Allergies?
more serious issues?
any ideas?
IMG_0962.JPGIMG_0963.JPG

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So I noticed this past weekend that Mac Daddy's fur was thinning in a few spots on his hind quarters/belly area. It just seems to the thinning on the dark part of his brindle coloring, he doesn't scratch at it all or if I touch the thinning spots it doesn't bother him at all/no bumps/no irritation. He has been just as active as usual, eats and poops like a champ sometimes I am almost impressed about what comes out the little guy. The weather has been warming up here in Texas so my dad thought about he was shedding a little for the summer weather but he is a inside dog and it only on certain spots but it seems to be spreading also. I have made a appointment with the VET for Saturday but I figured I ask if anyone has had the same issues.

Do bulldogs change colors as they get older?
Allergies?
more serious issues?
any ideas?
View attachment 86799View attachment 86800

Hey fellow Texan, Yes! Bulldogs color can change as they get older. I went through it with Tyson - they can get lighter, darker, gain freckles, lose them, etc. From the pics you posted, it really looks like Seasonal Flank Alopecia, it doesn't bother them at all and I know that several members have used Melatonin for this with great results. Your vet can confirm for sure - I would have them just do a skin scrape to make sure it's not mange or mites. Is it only on his body? I don't think it sounds serious, Tyson goes through spells of thin hair too when he blows his coat, but it does eventually grow back :) Mack Daddy is a good looking boy :)

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
Hey fellow Texan, Yes! Bulldogs color can change as they get older. I went through it with Tyson - they can get lighter, darker, gain freckles, lose them, etc. From the pics you posted, it really looks like Seasonal Flank Alopecia, it doesn't bother them at all and I know that several members have used Melatonin for this with great results. Your vet can confirm for sure - I would have them just do a skin scrape to make sure it's not mange or mites. Is it only on his body? I don't think it sounds serious, Tyson goes through spells of thin hair too when he blows his coat, but it does eventually grow back :) Mack Daddy is a good looking boy :)

Thanks for the information, I am not to terribly worried about it since he isn't scratching at it but it has spread since last weekend and only dark part of his fur. There is another spot on the other side but it just the same, I figured it better to be safe then sorry and have the vet check him out.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my dogs is the same color as Mack. Year before last she had seasonal flank alopecia. The skin on both sides turned black, and she lost the hair in those areas. Eventually the hair grew back on one side, but not the other. The year before that, my Frenchie had it, and all her hair grew back. This year, Martha has it-her skin on both sides turned black-but no hair coming off (yet) All through this winter, I gave them melatonin-I think that is why Martha's hair is not coming out. The melatonin did not seem to grow hair back-but giving melatonin in winter seems to help when "the alopecia season" kicks in.
@Jlambe

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So I did a little research on seasonal flank alopecia and it sounds exactly like this, I haven'y been giving him any fish oil pills so I will start him on that and also I have read that you can give melatonin to help out. My question is, is it the same melatonin that we take or is there a dog version? And how much do I need to give? He is a big boy at 70lbs so I would say he is a large EB.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Jlambe I have been giving regular melatonin-1 at night(in the yogurt) before bed. 3to 5 mg, for piggie sized girls! I have just bought it at the Dollar Store.Some places do have doggie melatonin, it just has more "herbs" added.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree... it looks like SFA

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
do yall believe I should cancel my vet appointment and give the melatonin and fish oil pills a shot?

I would still go to vet to confirm and ensure not mange or something else. The pics and description tell me SFA, but always good to confirm

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
I would still go to vet to confirm and ensure not mange or something else. The pics and description tell me SFA, but always good to confirm

Alright, I'll let yall know after the VET visit, thanks for all the help

I am ready to get my kiddo all healthy again
IMG_0692.JPGIMG_0914.JPG

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has it slightly too. Dark skin underneath and some hair loss but nothing drastic. His bully vet told me to give him 3mg of Melatonin per day at night because his hair didn't grow back properly after surgery. He weighs 70 lbs too. I am hoping because he was already on the Melatonin it has helped with the SFA. I buy it from CVS, their brand. My poor Monty is looking a bit moth-eaten!!
Your boy is great! Handsome lad!

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So I took Mac daddy to the Vet saturday, well he was tested for mange and it came back negative. So the Vet gave me some virbac shampoo and told me to use this when I bath him. I also started to give him melatonin at night and fish oil during his meals. So hopefully after awhile everything will go back to normal.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Our boy was just diagnosed with seasonal flank alopecia.Our vet said if its balding and has black skin underneath its the culprit.She told us to give him Melatonin like 1 to 1 1/2 tablets a day he is 75 lbs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.