Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mac Daddy's Fur

Monty has it slightly too. Dark skin underneath and some hair loss but nothing drastic. His bully vet told me to give him 3mg of Melatonin per day at night because his hair didn't grow back properly after surgery. He weighs 70 lbs too. I am hoping because he was already on the Melatonin it has helped with the SFA. I buy it from CVS, their brand. My poor Monty is looking a bit moth-eaten!!
    Your boy is great! Handsome lad!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)

So I took Mac daddy to the Vet saturday, well he was tested for mange and it came back negative. So the Vet gave me some virbac shampoo and told me to use this when I bath him. I also started to give him melatonin at night and fish oil during his meals. So hopefully after awhile everything will go back to normal.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Our boy was just diagnosed with seasonal flank alopecia.Our vet said if its balding and has black skin underneath its the culprit.She told us to give him Melatonin like 1 to 1 1/2 tablets a day he is 75 lbs.

Real Name
    James Lambe
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack Daddy
    Likes (Received)

So Mack Daddy is still having issues with Flank Alopecia, He has lost all fur in certain areas with no hair growth coming back. It has been like this since the summer time, I have been giving him melatonin at night, trying to walk him more so he can get more sunlight and I also tried Nu stock but nothing seems to work. Well Saturday I took him to the vet for a check up and check his hair issue. The whole check up part went well, he is a wild, crazy 75lbs of terror haha, well back to the fur, the vet did a blood test on him and his thyroid levels were lower then normal but not low enough for medicine. So the vet asked me to up the dosage of melatonin and for the balding try a generic version on Rogaine to stimulate the hair growth.

So long story short, is rogaine safe? How much do I use?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

If there is a Sally Beauty supply near where you live, there is a version of that, which is called Nioxin.(same thing but cheaper) It is a shampoo,and it really works. I hadn't thought of using it on the dog,but I.m going to try
    it,too!My Husband was losing his hair,and was using the Nioxin,and it was growing new hair!
    Maude has a bald black patch on one side,where the hair never did grow back. The other 2 dog's hair grew back. I would just wash the bald spots with the Nioxin,myself.Hope it works for you!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads