Thread: Self vaccinate

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)

Default Self vaccinate

Does anyone here self vaccinate their bulldog? My fiancé and I are picking up our first bulldog puppy in a few weeks and I have a few friends who in the past have vaccinated their own dogs. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Self vaccinate

I have no idea on this one, I will tag some members for you...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I know that this is a low cost option to some. There are those 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 available at some feed store. Breeders sometimes go this route. Problem is that there is no "recorded" or "acknowledged" documentation available compared with a vet office or humane society offices that administer the vaccination who provide you with receipts that document the vaccination. Relevance? When you go to day care facilities, groomers, licensing agencies that request for documentation for administered vaccinations, they will not accept the one you administered yourself even if you have the stickers from the drugs.

2nd, vaccinations are staggered in several shots not one shot. Some believe the 5 in 1 shots are too strong for one administration.

3rd, it is best to be at the vet facility should the drug have negative effects. They are right there to counter the side effects if necessary.

I believe that for few dollars more, these are good enough reasons why going to a vet facility is a better option.
    Hug your bully today

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)

I was planning on going to the vet but figured id get info on it, thanks!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Harveyspectres comments, plus I would be totally nervous to give my guys a needle.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

6. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I vaccinate and microchip my own donkeys, and the outside LGD's, and have vaccinated my own dogs, in the past. I worked for the vet years ago, and Parvo was rampant. Many of the dogs that came in, had been vaccinated with "store bought" vaccines.They just didn't seem to work! I have always gotten dog vaccines from the vet-for the outside dogs(as I know they're better) , because they(the pyrs) are too stubborn and I can't move them! All my inside bullies go to their vet for shots, and nails, and whatever is needed. It is not worth the "savings" to buy your vaccines for dogs from the store-it could cost a lot more, in the long run!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes harveyspecter, ddnene liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Please post pics of Hercules and welcome to EBN.
    Hug your bully today

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

After my vet visit today I'm thinking about it! I'll post my experience later....

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the welcome! I'll post pics as soon as we get our puppy!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have before but don't any longer. I would rather have a vet check them over and give the shots. One, I have a record and two, if they have a reaction, the vet can take care of it. I have only had one pup ever have a bad reaction to the vaccines and she started throwing up about a hour after. Luckily the vet is only 10 minutes down the road. I took her back and they gave her a shot to help. about two hours later, she started throwing up again so I took her back again and she received another shot to help her and that did help, but she was not herself for a couple days. Plus the vet did not charge me anything for the two times I took her back. So if you do them yourself, you also need the meds to counter act an reaction if they have one, and know the proper amount to give them.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

My vet has what is called a "Puppy Package Deal" where you pay one price and it takes care of all their puppy shots, worming, plus the first rabbies shot and it is a discounted rate. I do vaccinate my cattle and livestock myself but not the bullies. To me, it took me forever to afford English Bulldogs (vet bills if necessary, special feed conditions, toys, bedding, my house furniture ) so the price of shots is just not worth worrying about to me. What I wouldn't pay out in shots I would pay out in food or other luxuries for them anyway. I believe in premium care for them at all costs. Good luck!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)

Well since I was already planning on going to the vet this has certainly confirmed it. I will see if the vet has a puppy package as that sounds like a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads