Self vaccinate

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Does anyone here self vaccinate their bulldog? My fiancé and I are picking up our first bulldog puppy in a few weeks and I have a few friends who in the past have vaccinated their own dogs. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no idea on this one, I will tag some members for you...

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I know that this is a low cost option to some. There are those 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 available at some feed store. Breeders sometimes go this route. Problem is that there is no "recorded" or "acknowledged" documentation available compared with a vet office or humane society offices that administer the vaccination who provide you with receipts that document the vaccination. Relevance? When you go to day care facilities, groomers, licensing agencies that request for documentation for administered vaccinations, they will not accept the one you administered yourself even if you have the stickers from the drugs.

2nd, vaccinations are staggered in several shots not one shot. Some believe the 5 in 1 shots are too strong for one administration.

3rd, it is best to be at the vet facility should the drug have negative effects. They are right there to counter the side effects if necessary.

I believe that for few dollars more, these are good enough reasons why going to a vet facility is a better option.

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
I was planning on going to the vet but figured id get info on it, thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Harveyspectres comments, plus I would be totally nervous to give my guys a needle.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I vaccinate and microchip my own donkeys, and the outside LGD's, and have vaccinated my own dogs, in the past. I worked for the vet years ago, and Parvo was rampant. Many of the dogs that came in, had been vaccinated with "store bought" vaccines.They just didn't seem to work! I have always gotten dog vaccines from the vet-for the outside dogs(as I know they're better) , because they(the pyrs) are too stubborn and I can't move them! All my inside bullies go to their vet for shots, and nails, and whatever is needed. It is not worth the "savings" to buy your vaccines for dogs from the store-it could cost a lot more, in the long run!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
After my vet visit today I'm thinking about it! I'll post my experience later....

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Thanks for the welcome! I'll post pics as soon as we get our puppy!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have before but don't any longer. I would rather have a vet check them over and give the shots. One, I have a record and two, if they have a reaction, the vet can take care of it. I have only had one pup ever have a bad reaction to the vaccines and she started throwing up about a hour after. Luckily the vet is only 10 minutes down the road. I took her back and they gave her a shot to help. about two hours later, she started throwing up again so I took her back again and she received another shot to help her and that did help, but she was not herself for a couple days. Plus the vet did not charge me anything for the two times I took her back. So if you do them yourself, you also need the meds to counter act an reaction if they have one, and know the proper amount to give them.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My vet has what is called a "Puppy Package Deal" where you pay one price and it takes care of all their puppy shots, worming, plus the first rabbies shot and it is a discounted rate. I do vaccinate my cattle and livestock myself but not the bullies. To me, it took me forever to afford English Bulldogs (vet bills if necessary, special feed conditions, toys, bedding, my house furniture :rofl:) so the price of shots is just not worth worrying about to me. What I wouldn't pay out in shots I would pay out in food or other luxuries for them anyway. I believe in premium care for them at all costs. Good luck!

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Well since I was already planning on going to the vet this has certainly confirmed it. I will see if the vet has a puppy package as that sounds like a good deal.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I would have the vet do it just for peace of mind..Also they would have a chance to be looked at to see if there's possibly other issues.Which in my experience is always a possibility :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.