Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Insurance question

I was debating between Trupaion and Heathy Paws. I was leaning toward Healthy Paws, but the final deciding factor for me was the fact that Healthy Paws doesn't cover hip displaysia for the first 12 months. This was very concerning for me. In the end, I went with Trupanion. The thing to know about Trupanion is that their deductible must be met for each condition. So, once you meet the deductible for, say, your dog's allergies, you are covered for life. For most other insurance companies, they cover costs over the deductible, per claim. The way I looked at it, Trupanion's coverage policy works better for dogs with chronic problems. As we know, that can happen with bullys.

So far, I've reached the deductibe for her acute vomiting, so we are now covered at 90% for life for that. We have two other conditions (sports injury in her leg and her conjunctivitis) that haven't reached the deductibe. I can say that Trupanion has been very quick and responsive with processing claims. I'm currently waiting on processing of the vomiting claim (submitted yesterday), which will have my very first pay-out of around $100. Hopefully this goes as smoothly as I expect it to.

So far, I'm VERY happy I got insurance.

ETA: I just got an email that Trupanion accepted my claim and they're sending me the $90 pay-out. I just submitted the claim yesterday. So far, so good.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I had a horrible experience w/Trupanion… they had pre-approved surgery for my dog, and then denied the claim weeks later. My baby died after surgery, and the only thing they would cover was the trip to the emergency clinic. They based their decision on a side note that my vet had written in his chart. I EVEN had a letter from the vet stating his comment was NOT a diagnosis, but it didn't matter. I didn't expect them just to cover the surgery because my baby had died, but I had at the least hoped that they would honor their word

I will never have pet insurance again… we having a savings account that is specifically for pet expenses. If it's catastrophic then we will hit the credit cards… I won't go thru that again w/another pet insurance company!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes mb190e liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I had a horrible experience w/Trupanion… they had pre-approved surgery for my dog, and then denied the claim weeks later. My baby died after surgery, and the only thing they would cover was the trip to the emergency clinic. They based their decision on a side note that my vet had written in his chart. I EVEN had a letter from the vet stating his comment was NOT a diagnosis, but it didn't matter. I didn't expect them just to cover the surgery because my baby had died, but I had at the least hoped that they would honor their word

I will never have pet insurance again… we having a savings account that is specifically for pet expenses. If it's catastrophic then we will hit the credit cards… I won't go thru that again w/another pet insurance company!!!
    You hit the nail on the head. It is all subjective as one person can have a great experience and then the same company pulls the crap like they did with you just to get out of paying which was bad business on their part.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

5. Likes ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Timing couldn't be more perfect.

Just received an email from them- they've raised my premium to 80 per month for Blue.
    Since they won't cover his allergies or hip dysplasia (due to a notation, not a diagnosis in his chart) there's no reason for me to keep them.

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Timing couldn't be more perfect.

Just received an email from them- they've raised my premium to 80 per month for Blue.
    Since they won't cover his allergies or hip dysplasia (due to a notation, not a diagnosis in his chart) there's no reason for me to keep them.
    I don't blame you for dropping them.

8. Likes nycbullymama, ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    I don't blame you for dropping them.
    Oh, and just so you know- every single time something goes wrong with his skin, they consider it part of his allergies and won't pay.

He could get bitten by a wasp, have an allergic reaction, and they'll deny it even though the reaction was not caused by normal allergies. They just don't care.
    We've had something similar happen.

Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and just so you know- every single time something goes wrong with his skin, they consider it part of his allergies and won't pay.

He could get bitten by a wasp, have an allergic reaction, and they'll deny it even though the reaction was not caused by normal allergies. They just don't care.
    Wow. Guess we have been lucky then as they have covered everything so far.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I can believe that. Bella had a strange bump on her eye (maybe a bug bite) and then she had pink eye. Both of these separate claims are listed under the same condition. In my case, it's to my benefit because they're being covered. However, it would be a problem if they're denying everything under one broad umbrella. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I honestly can't believe everything that healthy paws has covered since I bought it for frank. frank had an extensive medical history by 4 months of age. after several thousand in vet bills I decided to cover him knowing he would probably have a lot of 'pre-existing conditions'. so far they have paid out on every single claim I've filed with them... there have been 6 since I started coverage. and they send these really sweet personalized emails after frank's vet visits. they ask how he is and always ask for a response from me to see how he's doing. the one I got after his 3 day hospital stay was especially nice. I know it's probably company policy that they do it for everyone, but they're working to show you that they really care, and it's nice!

13. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaB View Post
    We decided against pet insurance after looking into all the options. I just felt that I could save more efficiently instead of paying that money to a company. We have a separate account for the animals and money is deposited into it twice a month. I could also use our credit card if lord forbid we had a major emergency. We only have one credit card and we keep a zero balance on it...it's only for extreme emergencies.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDogMom View Post
    After Jackson and Angel's parvo hospitalizations and $4,000 dollars later I decided to get pet insurance. I researched it and found out the company I work for offers a 20% discount thru petfirst. 90% payout on everything, except preexisting conditions, which the only thing preexisting is Jackson's reaction to the rabies vaccine, and parvo for my pups. They even offer an add-on that will pay so much towards training classes, puppy shots, and a few other things. AND if one of my pups is lost or stolen they will pay out up to a $400 dollar reward for each of them.
    Brandi your email is maxed out. Delete some. I have been trying to get you for weeks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads