OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
The cut on her chin looks sore tonight. I'm keeping it clean and it doesn't seem to bother her, but her poor chin is so red and looks irritated. Any tips on how to help it heal quickly? I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I'm wiping it with peroxide and keeping Neosporin on it.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I'm so sorry! I don't have advice but know how upsetting it can be. I dealt with a real ignorant owner last year who had two dogs off leash.. I ended up in the hospital from protecting Joe. I've just become really careful about where Joe and I go .. He is less social and doesn't go to places where dogs are off leash .. but I have the comfort knowing we are safe .. I would definitely report it .

Oh wow! It's a miracle I didn't get bit but honestly I didn't even stop to think about it. I went into crazy bulldog mama mode and I was just worried about getting the dog off of Belle. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So glad Bella is OK..... as others stated, this is the exact reason we do not do dog parks and bought a house with a big yard. The people that have this type of dog think everyone else has the issue and do not want to be responsible in training the dog or knowing how to control the dog.... and you can't fix stupid

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We have a huge yard...it's just too big to fence. We have over 2 acres and it's hilly with a river and some trees. There really isn't a way to fence it without spending a ton of money and taking away from the beauty of nature around us. I'm really torn on going back or not. We've gone multiple times a week and have never had an issue until now..I hate to let one idiot ruin it for us. BUT I also don't want to risk Belle's safety. I think I'll just stick to going during the week when it's a lot less crowded. The morons tend to come out more on the weekends :p

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yeah I would try to go at off times, avoid the 5pm rush after work. Stay safe ms belle :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We got a break in the rain this morning so I took Belle to the dog park to run off some energy. We spent a few hours there yesterday and she had a great time. We go several times a week and have never had an issue...the dogs that come are always well mannered and friendly. Today I was talking to another dog owner and watching our dogs play when the lady spotted an old man crossing the parking lot with a black lab mix. She warned me that the dog's name is "Taylor" and she's very dog aggressive. She's gone after many dogs and they are trying to get her banned. I gathered my stuff to leave but I wasn't fast enough. Belle LOVES other dogs. She ran to the fence to greet Taylor as she was coming in with her owner, and before I could call her back, Taylor snarled and lunged. She grabbed on to Belles lower neck and shook. The old man did NOTHING but stood back and quietly said, "Taylor stop it or you are going home." I ran and basically threw the other dog off of Belle. I kicked her hard because she was still lunging and trying to get to Belle who was cowering at my feet. I scooped Belle up in my arms and went out the gate. I checked her over and she has a small cut on her chin that was lightly bleeding but nothing serious. The old man didn't say a word. By the time I looked back up he had wandered off to the other side of the park and was fussing at Taylor who was going after another dog. This guy is begging for a lawsuit! I didn't stay to confront him because thankfully she doesn't need vet attention, but I'm LIVID. I've never witnessed such stupidity in my entire life. Belle seems fine and acts like it didn't phase her at all but it freaked me out. Do you guys know of any action I can take to help get this idiot banned? His dog has no business at a dog park and I'm afraid she's going to kill someone before he gets the hint. This is a county owned dog park. We will go back but if he shows up again you can bet I'm going to have some strong words for him.

Sorry I'm just responding, I've been so busy at work I'm AWOL on here a lot lately!

I'm having flashbacks your situation sounds so similar to what happened to my Ruckus. He got bit on the head and thank god it wasn't a quarter of an inch off of where the bite was or it would have hit his eye. I won't rehash it completely, but Ruckus was just over a year old and the happiest, friendliest thing ever. Ruckus walked up to do some butt sniffing and the dog pinned him and but him on the head before I knew what was happening. I ran over and rescued him, because he doesn't fight back. Me and the dogs owner had more than a few words...

We had just moved and were right next door to the dog park and I was naive to think that people only bring their well behaved, friendly dogs to parks. It's not the case at all. We still take Ruckus, but only during "off" hours like on our lunch breaks or when we know all of the dogs there. I'm hyper vigilant about the known troublemaker dogs and we leave immediately if one of them comes. It's sad because a lot of dogs that are perfectly friendly people dogs get put in bad positions when their owners take them to the park because they're too lazy to exercise them other ways.

The only recourse you have is reporting it to the county -- parks department or animal control probably. Here, after so many reports, you'll be banned from all city owned parks and the consequences escalate. The problem is you need the owner's name to report.

I'm so sorry this happened. It's the worst thing in the world to think you're baby is hurt. Make sure to clean the area and watch it for signs of infection.

Try looking into any local bulldog meetups. I'm always more comfortable when I take Ruckus to romp with other bullies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online